PDA

View Full Version : At fault driver with no insurance (car hire costs??)

stanleym
07-05-2012, 09:16 PM
Hey guys,

Trying to help a mate out with an issue. She was in an accident and she was at fault. No Insurance etc.

What i was wondering if Does she need to pay for the hire car costs of the other party.

She has no issues with paying the car repair costs etc but the other party just sent her an letter saying she needed to pay for the car hire costs aswell (i assume the other party did not have this as part of their insurance deal) and the letter said the insurance company had told them to contact my mate regarding the costs.

What are your thoughts? Is she liable? Should she not do anything unless a court notice is served?

My thoughts are that she is liable for the repairs of the car that were damaged. I've told her to contact an insurance company to find out but this will give a range of opinions

Cheers for any replies

Sam

NightKids
07-05-2012, 09:21 PM
Your friends an idiot for not having insurance, tell her to get off the fkn road!

Now with that aside, my insurance paid for the rental costs. I don't believe it's part of the agreement to be liable for car hire costs. The car hire company normally chases it up with the insurance company. However I could be wrong so GL to her.

stanleym
07-05-2012, 09:27 PM
Agreed completly NightKids, most stupid thing ever but thats what happened...

She only had CTP but i have told her to talk to an insurance company. $700 bill and repairs have not been started seems a bit rough...

We shall see

Lukey
07-05-2012, 09:27 PM
give me her licence so i can cut it up and throw it in the bin

charliebrown
07-05-2012, 09:46 PM
Isn't having no insurance sort of the same as having insurance but driving a car with illegal modifications as 99% of people on here do? Not havin a go at anyone just curious

mugen_ctr
07-05-2012, 10:05 PM
Isn't having no insurance sort of the same as having insurance but driving a car with illegal modifications as 99% of people on here do? Not havin a go at anyone just curious

yes and no

Having illegal mods doesn't necessary mean its gonna be a instant void on the insurance if ur at fault... on small claims like light body damage and scrapage insurance couldnt give a rats ass if u have coilovers and turbo kit, but if its a major issue were police is involved than its a different story, as they may determine that the illegal mods have contributed to the accident, which than ur screwed! prepare to lube up and cope it hard!

Indie
07-05-2012, 10:32 PM
Your friend is stupid, but you know that already. She's lucky it was only $700 damage.

Guys, speaking of illegal mods, what's the legality of suspension mods? Are any changes to suspension illegal?

EG52NV
07-05-2012, 10:34 PM
Should she pay for the cost of renovating the other dude house as well? Gee people make ridiculous requests these days!

Indie
07-05-2012, 10:47 PM
If their car is off the road, it's not unreasonable to expect that they'd need alternative transport. Normally her insurance would pay for it, but that's not an option.

ericl33
08-05-2012, 12:07 AM
I don't agree with "being an idiot for not having insurance"

if you're a careful mature age driver, it's just throwing money down the drain imo.

ericl33
08-05-2012, 12:07 AM
Your friends an idiot for not having insurance, tell her to get off the fkn road!

Now with that aside, my insurance paid for the rental costs. I don't believe it's part of the agreement to be liable for car hire costs. The car hire company normally chases it up with the insurance company. However I could be wrong so GL to her.
LOL @

you're an idiot, good luck:p

Indie
08-05-2012, 04:49 AM
I don't agree with "being an idiot for not having insurance"

if you're a careful mature age driver, it's just throwing money down the drain imo.You're never too old or experienced to make a mistake, be distracted, or have bad luck. Third-party insurance is a necessity. Anything less is completely irresponsible.

EG52NV
08-05-2012, 07:47 AM
If their car is off the road, it's not unreasonable to expect that they'd need alternative transport. Normally her insurance would pay for it, but that's not an option.

Thought these we're optional extras as in perks sold by your own insurance company?

sensei_
08-05-2012, 10:52 AM
Third-party insurance is a necessity

I have to disagree with this part of the post. It should read comprehensive insurance is a necessity. what if some 17yo P plater rear ends you in the wet on your brand new accord, and not having comprehensive, you are pretty much well and truly screwed. because they wont be able to pay up the damages. whereas with comprehensive, you pass the buck to the insurance company, and they can deal it out amongst themselves.

butterfingers
08-05-2012, 10:56 AM
yes and no

Having illegal mods doesn't necessary mean its gonna be a instant void on the insurance if ur at fault... on small claims like light body damage and scrapage insurance couldnt give a rats ass if u have coilovers and turbo kit, but if its a major issue were police is involved than its a different story, as they may determine that the illegal mods have contributed to the accident, which than ur screwed! prepare to lube up and cope it hard!

but as usual when it comes to cars, police are wrong and 1 in a million traffic accidents are attributed someone not being able to control his vtec because of the TODA headers....

e240
08-05-2012, 11:11 AM
I have to disagree with this part of the post. It should read comprehensive insurance is a necessity. .

I think what he meant was 3rd Party property damage insurance, not 3rd party CTP.

and I agree with that, 3rd party property damange should be compulsory to protect other drivers on the road. If one can't afford the insurances, then one needs to asesses if they can even afford to drive.

sensei_
08-05-2012, 11:16 AM
now i got you! i thought there was two types, third party and comprehensive only.

Indie
08-05-2012, 11:34 AM
I have to disagree with this part of the post. It should read comprehensive insurance is a necessity. what if some 17yo P plater rear ends you in the wet on your brand new accord, and not having comprehensive, you are pretty much well and truly screwed. because they wont be able to pay up the damages. whereas with comprehensive, you pass the buck to the insurance company, and they can deal it out amongst themselves.But not everybody is driving a brand new Accord. If I'm driving a 1990 Pulsar, I don't need comprehensive, and it is a waste of money. Third party, however, is a requirement for every car.

sensei_
08-05-2012, 03:28 PM
fair point you got there. i guess one thing everyone can agree on is; get third party property damage. no matter how "poor" you may be,

ericl33
08-05-2012, 04:04 PM
fair point you got there. i guess one thing everyone can agree on is; get third party property damage. no matter how "poor" you may be,
not me.

EG52NV
08-05-2012, 04:27 PM
not me.

note to self never go on a cruise with this fool around because he has no insurance

ericl33
08-05-2012, 04:34 PM
note to self never go on a cruise with this fool around because he has no insurance
that right, don't go near me m8.

Drifter995
08-05-2012, 04:34 PM
I keep thinking third party property is compulsary... Doesn't rego include a bit of third party?

I have made it a thing to always have at least third party property on my cars... stupid to not have insurance on your car. Never know when some idiot will run into you, and ruin your work, or even when you'll lose control and hit somebody. You'd be stupid not to have insurance, imo.

ericl33
08-05-2012, 04:35 PM
I keep thinking third party property is compulsary... Doesn't rego include a bit of third party?

I have made it a thing to always have at least third party property on my cars... stupid to not have insurance on your car. Never know when some idiot will run into you, and ruin your work, or even when you'll lose control and hit somebody. You'd be stupid not to have insurance, imo.
it coveres people you put into hospital.

ericl33
08-05-2012, 04:36 PM

I think it's stupid paying 20 years of insurance and never getting any of it back.

when someone runs into you, you're still on your own with third party.

need to chase up yourself, go get quotes yourself, etc.

only full comp. looks after everything for you.

Zilli
08-05-2012, 04:59 PM
If she doesnt pay for it, the other party's insurer will ask her for it. If she doesnt pay they may take it to court or put her on a payment plan.

At the end of the day her insurer would have paid for it if she had one.

Zilli
08-05-2012, 05:00 PM
Keep discussion ot here everyone.

dougie_504
08-05-2012, 05:38 PM
Not everybody can afford comprehensive, especially below 25 years of age.

Third party at least is a great idea but if you don't get it then be prepared to pay for all damages and incurred charges. Should be made to pay for their rental too, I'd make her pay for mine if I had to.

Indie
08-05-2012, 06:49 PM
not me.I'd be interested to know just how old you are, as you seem to be maintaining that you're a 'mature-age driver' who is above the laws of physics... and nature.

Drifter995
08-05-2012, 08:31 PM
I think it's stupid paying 20 years of insurance and never getting any of it back.

when someone runs into you, you're still on your own with third party.

need to chase up yourself, go get quotes yourself, etc.

only full comp. looks after everything for you.

that is true...
Also, the rego apparently covers your health costs too... I got all my hospital bills fixed up :D (cat scans, x-rays, etc. all to make sure I didn't have any internal bleeding or broken bones. was in the clear about 5 hours later... never start dying on a sunday)
but as I said, you never know when you'll crash and need to fix somebody else's car/ they crash into you...
Like, I crashed my eg into a light pole, and as far as we know, third party payed for the light pole (or, probably not... since the council is so f'ing lazy they would have just gone 'screw it, let's just leave that spot empty' as they have done with the apparently other hundreds of crashes on that corner >.> )
But yeah, I'd much rather have third party as a minimum.. If I do much to my civic, such as doing up the engine, I'll also put an alarm, central locking and coilys, rims etc, i'll get comp... but for now, third party will suffice.

sensei_
08-05-2012, 09:28 PM
Also, the rego apparently covers your health costs too... I got all my hospital bills fixed up :D (cat scans, x-rays, etc. all to make sure I didn't have any internal bleeding or broken bones. was in the clear about 5 hours later... never start dying on a sunday)...

my old man was rear ended a few years back by a hit/run driver, and the state gov't had to compensate my old man for the injuries/medical bills/etc sustained. the bill to fix the car was paid out by the comprehensive insurer.