PDA

View Full Version : Function & form type 1 coilovers

Ando.L
07-05-2012, 11:15 PM
Can anyone give their views on these?

3RotaRX
07-05-2012, 11:17 PM
I have them on, they are fantastic.. worth my money.

inb4shockandspringcombo.

Ando.L
07-05-2012, 11:19 PM
I have them on, they are fantastic.. worth my money.

inb4shockandspringcombo.

What country are they made in do you know?..And are they stiff?

3RotaRX
07-05-2012, 11:25 PM
not sure, probably Taiwan or something. They are not hard, little more stiff than stock, but i like it.
My mate who has Tein's and HSD coilovers say these are surprisingly comfortable. I say go for it, wont be disappointed

Ando.L
07-05-2012, 11:35 PM
so their good for sydney roads and everyday driving?

charliebrown
07-05-2012, 11:38 PM
Been daily driving with F&Fs for 5 months, everyone says they're fukin comfy except females cos you just can't please them cb specs...

3RotaRX
07-05-2012, 11:58 PM
^cb speaks truth. I drive on the shittest roads, potholes and uneven roads all day while still maintaining that luxury feel..

Ando.L
07-05-2012, 11:59 PM
Been daily driving with F&Fs for 5 months, everyone says they're fukin comfy except females cos you just can't please them cb specs...

haha females ay. Sweet are you happy with them overall?

curtis265
08-05-2012, 12:01 AM

bitches be bitches

tonysalib
08-05-2012, 04:57 PM
Get the HT-Spec version 2 instead, apparently they are a specially tuned version of the F&F to make them more comfortable. Have a read through this:

http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/heeltoe-automotive/56586-ht-spec-v2-dampers-not-same-function-forms.html

tonysalib
08-05-2012, 04:58 PM
And this:

http://heeltoeauto.com/files/tech/HTSpec%20Damper%20Suppliment%20Doc.pdf

Ando.L
08-05-2012, 09:35 PM
Get the HT-Spec version 2 instead, apparently they are a specially tuned version of the F&F to make them more comfortable. Have a read through this:

http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/heeltoe-automotive/56586-ht-spec-v2-dampers-not-same-function-forms.html

Where can I source these from?

3RotaRX
08-05-2012, 09:37 PM
www.Heeltoeauto.com

Ando.L
08-05-2012, 09:58 PM
www.Heeltoeauto.com

Is this where u bought ur f&fs?

3RotaRX
08-05-2012, 11:23 PM
Is this where u bought ur f&fs?

I bought mine on ebay, cos it was slightly cheaper but anywhere will do =)

YER801
09-05-2012, 07:43 AM
I bought mine on ebay, cos it was slightly cheaper but anywhere will do =)

ill be getting the ht spec f&f's for the extra damper they provide, im expecting the ride to be better for the extra 100 bucks

YER801
09-05-2012, 07:46 AM
AHHG double noob post... but does anyone on here have the ht spec type 1's?

tonysalib
09-05-2012, 09:22 AM
Here:

http://www.heeltoeauto.com/ht-spec-version-2.0-coilover-damper-kit-04-08-acura-tsx-tl-03-07-accord.html

Ando.L
09-05-2012, 09:27 PM
Here:

http://www.heeltoeauto.com/ht-spec-version-2.0-coilover-damper-kit-04-08-acura-tsx-tl-03-07-accord.html

Should i purchase them with the Eibach ERS coils or just the standard coils? Will there be any difference?

Fredoops
09-05-2012, 11:33 PM
Eibach >>>>>> normal coils, it's a quality thing.

But stop for a moment before you confirm the purchase.... Checkout how much itd cost you landed.

Then check on the cost of a set of Teins. Contemplate on the price difference for a moment. Because the cost to ship a set of Teins/H&R etc are the same as a set of F&F

Then if you are in Sydney give Senna a holla and see if he can price match the US retailers, as in if he can match the landed price (item + shipping).

IMO, if the price is within $100 of each other, I'd still get it locally, just for the sake of supporting decent local traders... And service/warranty.

Ps: a set of F&F type 2 with eibach springs will cost you $100 more than a set of Teins street advance.... Think about that for a second.

Ando.L
09-05-2012, 11:56 PM
Eibach >>>>>> normal coils, it's a quality thing.

But stop for a moment before you confirm the purchase.... Checkout how much itd cost you landed.

Then check on the cost of a set of Teins. Contemplate on the price difference for a moment. Because the cost to ship a set of Teins/H&R etc are the same as a set of F&F

Then if you are in Sydney give Senna a holla and see if he can price match the US retailers, as in if he can match the landed price (item + shipping).

IMO, if the price is within $100 of each other, I'd still get it locally, just for the sake of supporting decent local traders... And service/warranty.

Ps: a set of F&F type 2 with eibach springs will cost you $100 more than a set of Teins street advance.... Think about that for a second.

Fred what would you go with? will the teins be a stiff ride, everyones saying that f&fs are really comfy.
And what website can I get the teins from?

Fredoops
10-05-2012, 12:06 AM
Fred what would you go with? will the teins be a stiff ride, everyones saying that f&fs are really comfy.
And what website can I get the teins from?

Same site heeltoe, just scroll down. Or you could also ask Senna

As to which to pick. In MY OPINION, I'd always pick Teins (Japanese made afaik) over F&F/D2/BC/Megan etc Taiwanese made coilovers.

Also. If you look into detail you'd find the Teins actually have a softer spring rate compared to F&F. f&F has a Minium drop of 1.5inch... Which is actually a lot.

Sure F&F type 2 would be better round the track (stiffer and more adjustable)... But srsly, how many of us would do that?

Edit: the F&F type 2 is very stiff out the front (12kg front, 6kg rear for normal Chinese springs, 8kg rear for eibach springs) compare that with Teins street advance (8kg front, 4kg rear... Almost stock)... In which case for the F&F to be as comfortable as the Tein at THAT spring rate, the damper must be either amazing or seriously compromised.

... This would be the perfect moment for senna to chive in....

NeedVtec
10-05-2012, 12:07 AM
Freddy chucking out the good advice left, right, and senna

But srsly OP, shoot a pm to Senna, he's your go-to man when it comes to sussy and maybe some anooos lick.

Fredoops
10-05-2012, 12:17 AM
Freddy chucking out the good advice left, right, and senna

But srsly OP, shoot a pm to Senna, he's your go-to man when it comes to sussy and maybe some anooos lick.

Lol, srsly just sharing the love.

Ando.L
10-05-2012, 12:19 AM
Same site heeltoe, just scroll down. Or you could also ask Senna

As to which to pick. In MY OPINION, I'd always pick Teins (Japanese made afaik) over F&F/D2/BC/Megan etc Taiwanese made coilovers.

Also. If you look into detail you'd find the Teins actually have a softer spring rate compared to F&F. f&F has a Minium drop of 1.5inch... Which is actually a lot.

Sure F&F type 2 would be better round the track (stiffer and more adjustable)... But srsly, how many of us would do that?

Edit: the F&F type 2 is very stiff out the front (12kg front, 6kg rear for normal Chinese springs, 8kg rear for eibach springs) compare that with Teins street advance (8kg front, 4kg rear... Almost stock)... In which case for the F&F to be as comfortable as the Tein at THAT spring rate, the damper must be either amazing or seriously compromised.

... This would be the perfect moment for senna to chive in....

http://www.heeltoeauto.com/tein-suspension-street-advance-coilover-damper-kit-04-cl9-acura-tsx-gsb48-21ss.html <<< these the ones your talking about freddy?

Need to add top hat kit?

Fredoops
10-05-2012, 12:23 AM
http://www.heeltoeauto.com/tein-suspension-street-advance-coilover-damper-kit-04-cl9-acura-tsx-gsb48-21ss.html <<< these the ones your talking about freddy?

Need to add top hat kit?

That's the one. You could reuse your old tophat..... I think.

Ando.L
10-05-2012, 12:36 AM
That's the one. You could reuse your old tophat..... I think.

ok so im looking at $1408.82 with tophat + delivery.

Fredoops
10-05-2012, 12:46 AM
ok so im looking at $1408.82 with tophat + delivery.
Funny how heeltoe doesn't allow you to pick the cheap shipping (USPS for $270) on the Teins

Check eBay.

Let's lay the HT prices out:

1. FF TYPE 2 coils: $900
2: eibach springs: $200
3: cheapest 10day USPS shipping: $280
TOTAL: $1380

1: Tein street advance coils: $884
2: New tophats: $125
3: add fast 3 day FedEX shipping: $369
TOTAL: $ 1378

They cost the same......

tonysalib
10-05-2012, 09:35 AM
HT "Version 2" does not equal "Type II"

You can still get Version 2 in Type I which is only height adjustable (as opposed to Type II which is height and damper adjustable) which is what I thought you were asking about from the subject of this thread. These are basically the cheapest set of coilovers you can get ($877 landed). You cannot compare them with Tein Street Advance, they are more compared to Tein Street Basis which cost just about $100 more.

If you're gonna spend the exrta money to get damper adjustable however I would definitely back fredoops on the Tein Street Advance being the better value for money.

Ando.L
10-05-2012, 10:45 AM
HT "Version 2" does not equal "Type II"

You can still get Version 2 in Type I which is only height adjustable (as opposed to Type II which is height and damper adjustable) which is what I thought you were asking about from the subject of this thread. These are basically the cheapest set of coilovers you can get ($877 landed). You cannot compare them with Tein Street Advance, they are more compared to Tein Street Basis which cost just about $100 more.

If you're gonna spend the exrta money to get damper adjustable however I would definitely back fredoops on the Tein Street Advance being the better value for money.

Yes that was the initial subject but I wasnt set on getting the F&Fs I just wanted ppls views on them. Then along came freddy and suggested the teins :)

Fredoops
10-05-2012, 12:48 PM
Yes that was the initial subject but I wasnt set on getting the F&Fs I just wanted ppls views on them. Then along came freddy and suggested the teins :)

And I maintain my suggestion
Tein Street Advance > FF Type 2
Tein Street Basis (not basic, thats the old model) > FF Type 1

considering how closely they are priced.

It's like having Enkeis selling at the same price as Rotas, who would pick Rota over enkei's, same logic

ChaosMaster
10-05-2012, 01:38 PM
And I maintain my suggestion
Tein Street Advance > FF Type 2
Tein Street Basis (not basic, thats the old model) > FF Type 1

considering how closely they are priced.

It's like having Enkeis selling at the same price as Rotas, who would pick Rota over enkei's, same logic

^This. If only I could rep you more Fred. Lolz.

YER801
11-05-2012, 08:37 PM
meh to that, so many good reviews on f&f plus heeltoe backing them with damper. They wouldnt tinker with and put their name against something that will be shit.
You dont know till you try both though.

After reading up ive seen f&f have a better range in height plus with ht spec my theroy is a edge over tein in type 1.
Thats my opinion. Not trying to bag anyone out.

Make your decision on what you trust.
:)

marquee
11-05-2012, 09:11 PM
I would go Function and Form for a few reasons.

There is no debate Tein has a better name in the suspension industry no doubt about however when we are talking bottom of the barrel coilovers no matter what brand most users are not looking for the brand name but looking at price to do the job they need.

The teins basis and f&f type 1 version 2 basically do the same thing (regardless of quality).

And 599 for f&f (not including shipping) compared to street basis of 712 (not including shipping) is a big difference when you going for the lower end (18% in price).

However if we were comparing higher priced coils i would definatly go with teins.

When you are in the market for cheap coilovers. the majority of times they will all do the same thing. Now there is some debate in quality due to where they come from. Personally i couldnt give 2 shits if the production factory was in taiwan or afghanistan if the quality is there then i see no problems with where it comes from.

In saying all that i wouldn't get either too cheap no damper adjustability. They are able to bring the price down so much for a reason. I would get the type 2's but then you paying a lot more which would then lead me more to the teins.

But hey I had the worst coilovers in the world BC Racing BR for my car which are made in taiwan but never gave me any problems at all. Reason being as with all the coilovers mentioned in this thread you have to send your shit back to the states or wherever you bought them for warranty. Then you may aswell have had to go get any coilovers from australia as we cannot ship coilovers back over for under 200 then the shipping back. Thats even if they allow you to claim warranty.

Why not get springs and ground controls?

ryaan
11-05-2012, 11:43 PM
Funny how heeltoe doesn't allow you to pick the cheap shipping (USPS for $270) on the Teins

Check eBay.

Let's lay the HT prices out:

1. FF TYPE 2 coils: $900
2: eibach springs: $200
3: cheapest 10day USPS shipping: $280
TOTAL: $1380

1: Tein street advance coils: $884
2: New tophats: $125
3: add fast 3 day FedEX shipping: $369
TOTAL: $ 1378

They cost the same......

i pricematched some other website off the us and they approved it.. so ended up getting tein street adv + ingalls rear for 1246 shipped ! :D

Ando.L
12-05-2012, 12:23 PM
i pricematched some other website off the us and they approved it.. so ended up getting tein street adv + ingalls rear for 1246 shipped ! :D

Which site ryaan? Keen to share

marquee
12-05-2012, 08:42 PM
Heeltoe does price match

Fredoops
12-05-2012, 09:13 PM
I would go Function and Form for a few reasons.

There is no debate Tein has a better name in the suspension industry no doubt about however when we are talking bottom of the barrel coilovers no matter what brand most users are not looking for the brand name but looking at price to do the job they need.

The teins basis and f&f type 1 version 2 basically do the same thing (regardless of quality).

And 599 for f&f (not including shipping) compared to street basis of 712 (not including shipping) is a big difference when you going for the lower end (18% in price).

However if we were comparing higher priced coils i would definatly go with teins.

When you are in the market for cheap coilovers. the majority of times they will all do the same thing. Now there is some debate in quality due to where they come from. Personally i couldnt give 2 shits if the production factory was in taiwan or afghanistan if the quality is there then i see no problems with where it comes from.

In saying all that i wouldn't get either too cheap no damper adjustability. They are able to bring the price down so much for a reason. I would get the type 2's but then you paying a lot more which would then lead me more to the teins.

But hey I had the worst coilovers in the world BC Racing BR for my car which are made in taiwan but never gave me any problems at all. Reason being as with all the coilovers mentioned in this thread you have to send your shit back to the states or wherever you bought them for warranty. Then you may aswell have had to go get any coilovers from australia as we cannot ship coilovers back over for under 200 then the shipping back. Thats even if they allow you to claim warranty.

Why not get springs and ground controls?

BC isn't the worst, it's better made compared to Ksport.

Although F&F won't be "bad". HT's Own review ranked its build quality as below Teins *shrugs*

But that's not a problem, the min 1.5 inch drop puts some people off (like myself).

xiang
15-05-2012, 07:06 PM
I just bought a set from Heeltoe.. HT-Spec VERSION 2.0 Coilover with damper adjustment and the asian supplied springs.
I was previously running re-compressed stock springs. Which weren't too bad and I've never owned coilovers before.

I fitted them on the weekend, adjusted the damper to mid-way, and I have to say I'm quite pleased with them. They soak up the bumps pretty well, very similar to stock, bigger bumps, can be pretty rough, but just drive slow and you'll be fine. I took it down parramatta road, and honestly it wasn't uncomfortable.

In terms of height.. the fronts are somewhat limited.. but going past the max drop on the fronts would be ridiculously low. On the fronts, I've got 235/40/18, with the coilovers dropped at lowest height. The tyres tuck about 3cm of the tyre, also depends on rear height. I'm getting skinner tyres tomorrow.. so that might change.

The rears on the other hand can have your car sitting on the floor. Like stupid low, I got my exhaust stuck on the gate rail on my driveway. Raised it an inch the next day.

I think they're a great buy for that price. I was always put off by the big prices of coilovers.. I've never tracked my car, and probably never will, so I saw no point spending big bucks for the more serious stuff. I just wanted to adjust my ride height and a slightly firmer ride, these coilovers are great for both.

Fredoops
15-05-2012, 07:29 PM
I just bought a set from Heeltoe.. HT-Spec VERSION 2.0 Coilover with damper adjustment and the asian supplied springs.
I was previously running re-compressed stock springs. Which weren't too bad and I've never owned coilovers before.

I fitted them on the weekend, adjusted the damper to mid-way, and I have to say I'm quite pleased with them. They soak up the bumps pretty well, very similar to stock, bigger bumps, can be pretty rough, but just drive slow and you'll be fine. I took it down parramatta road, and honestly it wasn't uncomfortable.

In terms of height.. the fronts are somewhat limited.. but going past the max drop on the fronts would be ridiculously low. On the fronts, I've got 235/40/18, with the coilovers dropped at lowest height. The tyres tuck about 3cm of the tyre, also depends on rear height. I'm getting skinner tyres tomorrow.. so that might change.

The rears on the other hand can have your car sitting on the floor. Like stupid low, I got my exhaust stuck on the gate rail on my driveway. Raised it an inch the next day.

I think they're a great buy for that price. I was always put off by the big prices of coilovers.. I've never tracked my car, and probably never will, so I saw no point spending big bucks for the more serious stuff. I just wanted to adjust my ride height and a slightly firmer ride, these coilovers are great for both.

How much did u end up paying for yours? Landed

ChaosMaster
15-05-2012, 09:24 PM
Lolz, dropped by Pedders today and the quoted me 1.6k just for the coilovers, before any labour. I was like lolz, sif. By the way, anyone know where I could grab Tein HTech in Aus? Senna only has the STech which has a firmer rate and greater drop than I need/want.

xiang
16-05-2012, 12:13 AM
$899 for the coilovers (with damper adjust + regular asian supplied springs) and $278.00 for shipping, $1177.00 US.

Bought a sway bar and camber kit while I was at it.. tempted by the shopping cart..