PDA

View Full Version : Engine won't start

Aych
08-05-2012, 11:56 AM
Hey guys, first time poster looking for some technical assistance here.

My 2007 accord euro is refusing to start. I'm not entirely sure if this is the cause of the problem, but anyway, everything worked fine before this morning when i tried starting the engine but accidentally used my right foot to slam the brakes on right after i turn the ignition while the starter motor just kicks in (i have noticed the starter taking a few more revs to get the engine going these past few weeks though). Thinking nothing unusual will come from the otherwise unorthodox startup, I just kept my foot planted while turning the ignition but the engine wouldn't start even after a good 7 seconds or so.

Every other attempt after that will lead to the start motor turning for 3 or 4 times and then speed up very rapidly and eventually after 5 or 6 ignition attempts (with some time separation between) the starter motor sounds like it just gives up after its first 2 turns. Also noticed since the first failed attempt, the brake pedal feels jammed in it's neutral position and requires huge force to press but still wont budge much (very unusual) and stays that way. The brake lights still come on when i try pressing the pedal down as much as it'll go.

Lights and other non-engine necessary electronics still work fine so I don't think it's battery related. Also don't think it's an immoboliser problem since i have tried with the immoboliser off and starting with the spare key. What do you guys think is screwing up? Any help would really be appreciated

Cheers

senna
08-05-2012, 12:03 PM
Your battery has lost just enough power that it can't fire the car up. The brake pedal is hard because there is no vacuum coming from the motor which allows the master cylinder to work properly.

I would try to jump start it first, or just call road side assistance for a new battery

ChaosMaster
08-05-2012, 12:12 PM
Yeah, definitely the battery. I've suffered it a few times. Left the key in "On" position without starting the engine for a while meant my battery was drained within the hour. Turn the ignition and it'll make a different sound, kinda like a clacking. Just not enough amps to crack the engine. Battery still has enough power to power all the other accessories though.

ericl33
08-05-2012, 12:12 PM
no need to create multiple threads, A moderator would have moved your other thread to here.

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?163778-Mysterious-failure-diagnosis

Aych
08-05-2012, 02:13 PM
Thanks guys. I'll try to get that last thread deleted. Turns out a jump start worked and the problem was exactly as senna described. The weird sound it was making just got me worried for a sec.

aaronng
08-05-2012, 05:03 PM
Deleted the other thread as requested already. The battery lasts about 4-5 years, so yours sounds about right.