PDA

View Full Version : 1997 Civic Coupe Vti Questions

Malkor
05-03-2005, 11:13 AM
Hey guys,

I'm looking at acquiring a 1997 Civic Coupe, but i'm having trouble getting my head around a few things!

Ultimately, i'd like to know what i can bolt straight on to the block, ie headers and such. The various engine codes i'm finding quite confusing, so i don't know if i just rely of the year of the car when picking parts or the engine code!

The car will be a bit of a project car for me, with various upgrades occurring over time, and i want to make sure these upgrades can occur with limited fuss (of course all mods will have inherent problems!)

Thanks

-J

vteccoupe
05-03-2005, 12:09 PM
hi there...i drive a 97 coupe vti like u mentioned...it comes with a D16Y8 SOHC VTEC engine..from what i tink..there's no point upgrading this engine. Many would have done a full swap of either B16A or B18C1 or the ultimate B18C5/B18C7 (DC2R engine)...for a B16A swap...u shld pay total which includes labour about 4.4k and B18C1 for about 4.8k and the B18C5/7 for maybe 7k?

do take note that the VTI coupe onli comes with front swaybar...its essential to get a rear swaybar..either from the DC2R or EK4 or EM1 or whiteline's rear swaybars.

Currently im nt too happy with the stock seats and steering wheel...steering wheel too large..stock seats not much support :(

Malkor
05-03-2005, 01:46 PM
Ah....but the almighty question is....will a Spoon engine bolt up? (very long term project!!)

SiR JDM
05-03-2005, 02:08 PM
Spoon engine? *no comment*

Short answer, no, it doens't *bolt up*.

The SOHC vtec and DOHC vtec are quite different in setup.
If you want a *BOLT UP* engine, buy an EM1 b16a coupe, and your "spoon engine" will *bolt up* more or less.

If not, many things need to be changed from your Vti. Do a search and see what you can find..
if you cant find all you need come back and ask more specific questions =]

heres a start for you B16a FAQ (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?p=222418#post222418)

Malkor
05-03-2005, 02:23 PM
When i say bolt up...i should have said engine mounts, as it's obvious that the rest won't match!

Evidently, a port and polish of the stock engine, blue print and the rest would be a better way of doing things. I guess an upgrade of the drivetrain to fit a spoon makes the whole exercise completely useless!

Maybe i should fork out a little more and try to get a hold of a '99 Coupe with a B16A, making later modifications a little less tiresome!

Thanks guys

SiR JDM
05-03-2005, 04:09 PM
No the engine mounts wont bolt up either.

Neither will the gearbox.. drive shafts, wiring loom, ecu blah..

To put a spoon motor you will need to get tons more parts... it will be the same as any other b-series conversion, excpet your goin to get a *spoon* block rather than a stock honda block...

the em1 would be ur best bet... if you still want to do the *spoon* engine later on... it would esentially *bolt up* to an em1

Malkor
05-03-2005, 04:31 PM
Thanks SiR JDM

Either way i look at it...it's gonna be a pain in the behind doing anything on a non-stock engine! So improving the stock engine is gotta be the way to go, if i want to still drive as '97 model...well at least it's still a honda!

Are there any other engine blue print companies like Spoon (there are a few, i just can't remember them!)? A mate suggested Spoon, coz he's somewhat enthralled with the whole high-end engine transplant thing, but i seem to think it's almost overkill! I guess more research must be undertaken, b4 i make a decision on the model, i guess i'm just worried that engine work will be made more difficult if i don't start with the right engine first!

vteccoupe
05-03-2005, 06:58 PM
hey pal..u sounds like a spoon engine cost v.cheap..mine u..just the engine block alone might set u back 10-15k :D

Thanks SiR JDM

Either way i look at it...it's gonna be a pain in the behind doing anything on a non-stock engine! So improving the stock engine is gotta be the way to go, if i want to still drive as '97 model...well at least it's still a honda!

Are there any other engine blue print companies like Spoon (there are a few, i just can't remember them!)? A mate suggested Spoon, coz he's somewhat enthralled with the whole high-end engine transplant thing, but i seem to think it's almost overkill! I guess more research must be undertaken, b4 i make a decision on the model, i guess i'm just worried that engine work will be made more difficult if i don't start with the right engine first!

Malkor
06-03-2005, 08:58 AM
Double

Malkor
06-03-2005, 08:59 AM
Just on the website and do a conversion of the Yen price, u'd be buying it direct from Japan, not thru the States! (And add about 1 grand for all the extras of freight and such!!)