PDA

View Full Version : Front lower engine mounts busted on b18 EK.

indo_Mi
09-05-2012, 08:32 AM
As the thread states, I have a 96 EK Gli which was bought with a B18 conversion. Now I've done the research and know you can use the existing mounts from b/d series. But it is said that a rear 99-00 mount should be used. I wouldn't know what's in there but am guessing the previous knew what he was doing. Anyhow back to the problem.
Both lower mounts are gone and are press back into the rear of the mount housings (see pics), and the headers hang very low as a consequence of this.

I was initially going to purchase inserts, as a friend has them in his EM1 and seem to do the job. Or buy some after market mounts.....big difference in cost, big difference in performance? I would think not.

Just after your opinions

Drivers side

Passenger side

bennjamin
09-05-2012, 09:13 AM
Mate

Those front torque mounts are not broken. They are under alittle unusual load as your chassis might be slightly bent at the subframe area or side mounts. It's only off a few degrees - common on engine conversions in older cars as often things don't 100% line up.

Your sump and header are almost on the ground. This is your issue not the front torque mounts.
Raise your car it's doing damage to the cv joints , suspension etc and a decent hit on the sump can destroy your engine.

TbM
09-05-2012, 09:24 AM
Looks like the passengerside might be a bit cracked ben unless my tired eyes are decieving me

http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j480/tbmindustrys2/ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336516250520029.jpg

dorikin
09-05-2012, 11:02 AM
check out the sump its on the GROUND

indo_Mi
09-05-2012, 01:54 PM
Yes It crazy. I bought it this way! I am in the process of raising the ride height, have some yellow koni's and pedders to go in. I will check the subframe and all other mounts. Is it possible the rear mount is wrong or blown causing the motor to sit funny?