PDA

View Full Version : b16a2 problem

tRipitaka
05-03-2005, 12:38 PM
Hi,
I just got an Auto b16a2 conversion into my EG Sedan, from an EG9 into an EG8..
When I put my foot down, as in thrashing it, the first few gears seem very sluggish..
But If i gradually put my foot down, it seems faster than flooring it ?
I was wondering if this was due to having it as an auto, or if there are ECU problems ?
Could I have the wrong ECU per chance ?
I believe my b16a2 ECU is an OBD1, so therefore it should have the LED on it..
I had a look today, and no evidence of that ?

I'm guessing that I might have the wrong ECU.. It was a Civic GL before I did the conversion, and would the old ECU be compatible with the b16a2 ? If it isn't, how come my car still works ?

How should I go about solving this problem ?

SiR JDM
05-03-2005, 02:08 PM
Do you have a HUGE exposed Pod filter?

tRipitaka
05-03-2005, 02:59 PM
as far as i know, it's stock..
unless it was installed incorrectly.

SiR JDM
05-03-2005, 03:33 PM
Ive never driven a auto b16.. but i know auto 4wds and auto commodores ive driven, when u push on the accel... there is a huge lag ..responce is aweful...

Cant see for sure, but would seem like its normal for an auto.

panda[cRx]
05-03-2005, 03:43 PM
yeah i've found the same thing in the auto's i have driven.

so you got conversion from manual > auto? :confused:

tRipitaka
05-03-2005, 03:47 PM
nah, from auto to auto.. kept it auto since my b16a2 was originally made for auto use..
but with the ECU, I have no LED in the middle ?
Does that mean I may have the wrong ECU ? Didn't know the d15b4 and the b16a2 ECU's were compatible ?

ProECU
05-03-2005, 05:08 PM
the GL ecu is a P06 from memory, these have different fuel/ign tables than intended for the b16. I would definately say this is your problem.

Source yourself a P28,P30 (standard) or a P72 (needs to be chipped to work as a p30).

Guarantee this will solve ur problem

tRipitaka
05-03-2005, 05:16 PM
But are the GL ECU's compatible with the b16a ?
How about aftermarket ECUs, any recommendations ?
Any for AUTO b16a2s ?
Would using the wrong ECU damage the engine in any way ?

ProECU
05-03-2005, 06:12 PM
GL ECU NOT COMPATIBLE -> as i said, different fuel/timing maps
The P30, P28 can be cinfigured for AUTO. the main difference isto drice the auto lockup solenoid.
Wrong ECU WILL destroy your motor over time.

GET IT REPLACED SOON

tRipitaka
05-03-2005, 06:15 PM
No no,
I meant compatible because my car is running at the moment..
saying whether the b16a2 will still run whether the ECU is from the GL or not.. As in, if it wasn't compatible, why is my car still running, you understand me ?

ECU-MAN
05-03-2005, 11:48 PM
a GLi ECU will run in your car, GL ECU wont. what modle number ECU do you have, read it and tell us. should be Pxx tell us what the XX is

OBD1 PGMFI ECU does not have the LED on the ecu to read out fault codes

open up your ecu to see if you have the AUTO ecu and also to see if your ROM has a socket on it, if it does have a socket on it then there is a chance its been chiped and god knows whats in it.

GLi ecu will start your engine and drive, but you wont get VTEC engagement and wil kill your engine sooner than later.

if your unsure about your ecu take some photos of it and I can tell you a little more about it.

tRipitaka
06-03-2005, 08:47 AM
a GLi ECU will run in your car, GL ECU wont. what modle number ECU do you have, read it and tell us. should be Pxx tell us what the XX is

OBD1 PGMFI ECU does not have the LED on the ecu to read out fault codes

open up your ecu to see if you have the AUTO ecu and also to see if your ROM has a socket on it, if it does have a socket on it then there is a chance its been chiped and god knows whats in it.

GLi ecu will start your engine and drive, but you wont get VTEC engagement and wil kill your engine sooner than later.

if your unsure about your ecu take some photos of it and I can tell you a little more about it.

Thanks ECU-Man, that's what I was wondering, whether they even bothered to change the ECU when they did the conversion, but they should've since my car's running..
Where abouts does it show the model number ? I had a look at the cover, and it's just blank, so I'm not sure..

ECU-MAN
06-03-2005, 03:53 PM
it will be written down the side of the ECU. not the top or bottom cover

tRipitaka
07-03-2005, 07:34 AM
Is it on the Barcode ?
If so, how do I read off it ?
I saw another stamp on the side, it's blue though..

Weq
07-03-2005, 09:07 AM
just write down everything on the barcode and post it up..

tRipitaka
07-03-2005, 11:58 AM
OK, checked the barcode out, and it's got:

37820-P30-900
471-100529

if the P30 is the model number, then I have the right ECU, yeah ?
But the car still feels sluggish, maybe it's the way it is ?
Cos the ECU isn't throwing any codes, but I believe I have a leak somewhere in the fuel line/rail/tank, cos everytime I walk near the car, I can smell petrol..

ProECU
07-03-2005, 12:08 PM
and slowly the rest of the story appears its ugly head....

Your ecu is the correct ecu. There is a jumper setting inside the ECU which dictates if the tranny is auto or manual. If you can take a pic of the inside of the ECU I can tell you what to do

Rgds