PDA

View Full Version : Fog light relay?

mugen_ctr
10-05-2012, 09:18 PM
Hey gang, my fog lights have started playing up... Ive checked all connections and fuses seems to check out, only other source is the relay, The only problem is that no one so far seems to have this particular relay which is a bummer, guess must be a USA item :/

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k3/mattbrewton/IMAGE_134.jpg

Can i just wire in a new relay system providing the relay is same voltage/amps?

Noob when it comes to electrical stuff

PGB
10-05-2012, 09:59 PM
Will be fine to replace it with relay thats rated the same provided you know what wire needs to go where on the replacement

kcokla
10-05-2012, 10:25 PM
If its the same relay for eg foglights i have x2 pm me if keen.

mytfoz
14-05-2012, 05:44 AM
for the honda fog lights the use the same relay as the Ignition switch relay or starter relay(located under the dash fuse box) part number: Mitsuba RC-2201
Cooling Fan relay, Heater Motor relay, Rear Defroster relay(located at fuse box in engine bay) same part number aswell

these relay to suit foglights are found in pretty much all Honda's.
so you can get them from Honda or even pop down to your local wrecks they'll have some.

Part Number: RC-2201 made by mitsuba

mugen_ctr
14-05-2012, 11:17 AM
cheers guys,will go on a hunt wen im free this week :)

Bludger
14-05-2012, 11:32 AM
looks like china relay.

mugen_ctr
14-05-2012, 11:38 AM
looks like china relay.

Dunno man, cause it came with fog light kit from USA, so maybe

Bludger
14-05-2012, 11:39 AM
Dunno man, cause it came with fog light kit from USA, so maybe
def china relay.

lmaooo

mytfoz
14-05-2012, 11:56 AM
is there such thing as a real relay MADE in the states now days?
im sure most are made in china
thats y they're so crap

mugen_ctr
14-05-2012, 01:38 PM
def china relay.

lmaooo

LOL yeah true....

though im having trouble sourcing a new one from most automotive shops

sensei_
14-05-2012, 02:04 PM
Can i ask what does the relay do to the fog lamps?

I'm guessing it turns it on/off with the headlamps.

Bludger
14-05-2012, 02:21 PM
is there such thing as a real relay MADE in the states now days?
im sure most are made in china
thats y they're so crap
@ least get a branded one with quality control.

mytfoz
14-05-2012, 09:03 PM
Can i ask what does the relay do to the fog lamps?

I'm guessing it turns it on/off with the headlamps.

what does a relay do and why do i need it:
relays are connected to switches that control individual devices such as the car radio, air con, headlights, fog lights and so on. when the switch for the device such as the fog light is turned on, the relay is able to transfer the current necessary to power that device. When the switch is turned off, the power supply of the relay is cut off. turning the foggies off. the ability of the relay to isolate power from the vehicles main power sources is critical. relays and switches are used to conserve power output by only using what is needed.

@ least get a branded one with quality control.

some branded one might not last as long.
buying a fog light kit off egay. dont think you'll even think twice about replacing the relay or switch lols

BUT Bludger the Bludger is right atleast get a relay that is branded and is known for.
OEM relays <---- easy to find at the wreckers and dealership

mugen_ctr
14-05-2012, 09:28 PM
what does a relay do and why do i need it:
relays are connected to switches that control individual devices such as the car radio, air con, headlights, fog lights and so on. when the switch for the device such as the fog light is turned on, the relay is able to transfer the current necessary to power that device. When the switch is turned off, the power supply of the relay is cut off. turning the foggies off. the ability of the relay to isolate power from the vehicles main power sources is critical. relays and switches are used to conserve power output by only using what is needed.

some branded one might not last as long.
buying a fog light kit off egay. dont think you'll even think twice about replacing the relay or switch lols

BUT Bludger the Bludger is right atleast get a relay that is branded and is known for.
OEM relays <---- easy to find at the wreckers and dealership

The problem with ebay foglight kits, well i should say its legit ebay kit, since the lights are glass and stamped/imprinted Stanley, is the relay type, the 4 pin layout, Honda has no idea, as they went through there data base an couldnt find it... LOL

So ill give a shot with Mitsuba RELAY RC-2201, an see if it fits, but might need to cut the plastic bits to fit it and see how it goes, if all fails, than im just gonna replace the whole relay wiring and fit something thats local and well branded

mytfoz
15-05-2012, 01:03 AM
if you need a rough wiring diagram let me know as i drew one up in paint for a friend :)
if u need help on getting the relay let me know also as i got a few relays here

hoojee
15-05-2012, 10:23 AM
For all your electrical needs:
http://au.element14.com or http://www.rswww.com.au.
Both are electronic component shops and have very decent prices (way cheaper than any retail store) and if you order before 6pm, you can benefit from next day delivery for all metro areas.

Any 12v SPDT relay should be suitable for your fog light application (Element14 also has a automotive relay category so look in there). A relay is an electrical switch which serves as a protection device for your electronics.

Bludger
15-05-2012, 10:25 AM
The problem with ebay foglight kits, well i should say its legit ebay kit, since the lights are glass and stamped/imprinted Stanley, is the relay type, the 4 pin layout, Honda has no idea, as they went through there data base an couldnt find it... LOL

So ill give a shot with Mitsuba RELAY RC-2201, an see if it fits, but might need to cut the plastic bits to fit it and see how it goes, if all fails, than im just gonna replace the whole relay wiring and fit something thats local and well branded
It's just the plug.

you can de-pin the plug and connect directly to t he relay without the plug.

just make sure you got some sort of insulation around the pins, that's it.

mytfoz
15-05-2012, 05:22 PM
spade terminals with the plastic surrounding and can add heat shrink aswell :)

Bludger
15-05-2012, 06:58 PM
For all your electrical needs:
http://au.element14.com or http://www.rswww.com.au.
Both are electronic component shops and have very decent prices (way cheaper than any retail store) and if you order before 6pm, you can benefit from next day delivery for all metro areas.

Any 12v SPDT relay should be suitable for your fog light application (Element14 also has a automotive relay category so look in there). A relay is an electrical switch which serves as a protection device for your electronics.
http://www.the12volt.com/relays/relays.asp

for the noobs.

EG52NV
15-05-2012, 07:22 PM
http://www.the12volt.com/relays/relays.asp

for the noobs.

Best site for stereo wiring has diagram of factory wire colours and what the mean! Been using it for 8 years!