PDA

View Full Version : HID only work on hi beam

kans
11-05-2012, 09:03 AM
hey my HID were working properly the other night, HID would turn on when set to low beam. Yesterday night driving home i turned on my low beams and the HID didn't turn on at all unless i turned on hi beam. I don't know what the problem could be i checked fuses there fine and all. I just don't understand why suddenly low beam doesn't work unless hi beam is on. please help :(

EG52NV
11-05-2012, 09:15 AM
what type of HIDs you running? bi-xenon type?

kans
11-05-2012, 09:38 AM
6000k bi xenon

EG52NV
11-05-2012, 10:07 AM
ok so you have bi-xenon but HIDs no longer come on in low beam? but when you switch to high beam they ignite? DAFUQ somethings definetly not right here because the bulb should ignite for low beam and the switch gear keeps the bulb on when you high beam and just uses magnets to retract to bulb to change light angle.

you said you checked the fuses (ones on HID wiring or inside the cabin?) because if its just low beam not working it could be the low beam fuse inside the cabin, that the only think i can think of...

androo
12-05-2012, 11:44 AM
Your low beam HID bulbs may be blown, and require replacement. Similar to a standard H4 bulb, where the low beams and high beams are integrated into 1 bulb. The low beams usually die first as the high beams get little use. They can still function when the other has died.

Did both stop working at the same time? Or separately? It is common for bulbs to die a few days from each other as they began life at the same time, but if BOTH died at the same time then I would start by checking the low beam fuse inside the cabin and report back.

EG52NV
12-05-2012, 11:59 AM
Androo a bi xenon bulb has same bulb for Lo and hi beam, the angle of the beam is changed using magnets

EG52NV
12-05-2012, 12:00 PM
But... His profile says he drives an integra and I wasn't aware they used bi xenon h4s

androo
12-05-2012, 12:19 PM
Most bi-xenon aftermarket kits (all the ones I have seen), have a halogen bulb mounted next to or above the xenon bulb for the high beam. This is the cheapest way for HID manufacturers to produce the bulbs. Yes, I understand a lot of OEM bi-xenons use a single bulb and just reposition them within the housing to achieve the control (low beam) and uncontrolled (high beam) output.

Nice spot regardng the OPs car, I didn't realise it was an Integra. If he can specify which integra it would help. All models prior to the DC2/4 used a bi-xenon set up standard.

Regardless, are you sure your HID's are turning on when you turn on your high beams? Confirm as it is probably just your high beams on lol

EG52NV
12-05-2012, 12:29 PM
Nah i know what you mean but eBay sellers should not be advertising hid bulbs with halogen bulb on the side for high beam as bi-xenon because this is false advertising as its a single xenon bulb and a single halogen bulb.

Although I remember the early early early aftermarket H4 hid bi-xenon bulbs actually had 2x xenon bulbs coming out of the base and they ran separate ballasts for high beam and low beam that was a mind fcuk lol