PDA

View Full Version : Clicking noise - steering (jazz)

Sterio
12-05-2012, 08:59 PM
My 2003 jazz makes pretty loud clicking sounds when turning the wheel at low speed/parking. I do not believe its the cv joints as the boots are intact and there is no grease anywhere. My local mechanic said it was the steering rack and that they were expensive. At the time he said he greased the rack and that it did not pose a safety issue. It is some 6 months now and the noise has returned. My wife wants me to take it to Honda but I don't wish to be hit with a $2k bill. Has anyone else had this issue and is there an easy fix. Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere but I'm new to the forum and getting desperate.

CRXDEL501
12-05-2012, 09:01 PM
Where are you located?
For one, the mechanic was obviously lazy and did a short term fix
Go back to him and argue for him to fix it

Sterio
13-05-2012, 07:12 AM
I live in the st George area in Sydney.
If it is the rack, is there a cheap fix?

gnx1987
13-05-2012, 11:24 AM
is the noise coming from inside or outside the car?

Lukey
13-05-2012, 11:38 AM
Where are you located?
For one, the mechanic was obviously lazy and did a short term fix
Go back to him and argue for him to fix it

lolwut

Sterio
13-05-2012, 01:16 PM
is the noise coming from inside or outside the car?

The noise is coming from outside the car

CRXDEL501
13-05-2012, 08:53 PM
lolwut

Lol if the op was in Brisbane I was going to recommend this place

amant02
13-05-2012, 09:00 PM
Smithfeild wreckers you can pick up the rack for approx $250, its heaps for labour my dad was quoted for the rack to be replaced in his 07 camry for 280$ labour. For about 500 dollhairs u can get it done. Or do the work urself will take a day thou

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDw8BJ5qP9Y

I followed that, with some extra help form my mate. **** toyota's complicated shitt. Saved my dad 280 dollhairs.

But clicks aren't the symptoms of a rack being gg'd, could be something simple like wheel bearings? CV joints could be a problem. The Boot dsnt need to be ripped or grease leaking for the bearings inside to fk up.

Does the steering stiffen up when turning? Or feel werid when taking corners at high speeds? It should feel heavier when it makes the noise.

Dont take offense to this one, just trying to help.... have you checked the power steering fluid? lol (lack of servicing on the camry was the issue, my dads old school and thinks camrys are invincible)

Evok
14-05-2012, 12:35 PM
Check if bolts are tightened up good.

My dc2 lower controll arm bolt was not loose but could be tightened a bit more caused a clicking / single knock noise when taking corners.

GU357
16-05-2012, 10:54 PM
might be related to the fact the jazz has an electric power assist steering as opposed too hydraulic power steering.

SU-WOOP
17-05-2012, 01:03 AM
My 2003 jazz makes pretty loud clicking sounds when turning the wheel at low speed/parking. I do not believe its the cv joints as the boots are intact and there is no grease anywhere. My local mechanic said it was the steering rack and that they were expensive. At the time he said he greased the rack and that it did not pose a safety issue. It is some 6 months now and the noise has returned. My wife wants me to take it to Honda but I don't wish to be hit with a $2k bill. Has anyone else had this issue and is there an easy fix. Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere but I'm new to the forum and getting desperate.
was it in blacktown that it was diagnosed? ive came across the same problem due to an accident
and it only happns whilst parking because the rack is damadged and the torque sensor gets confused on how much power assistance the driver needs causing the assembly to shudder

Sterio
17-05-2012, 08:04 AM
No it wasn't diagnosed on Bankstown. Anyway I've got the car booked in for Saturday week at an NRMA service centre. I'll keep you posted.

SU-WOOP
19-05-2012, 03:02 AM
either way its expensive hard to replace without knowledge
blacktown not bankstown
NRMA = No Real Mechanic Available
good luck if all else fails and u you seek a personal profesional diagnosis dont hesistate to pm me