PDA

View Full Version : Steering wheel shake - Need some advice

daKIK
12-05-2012, 09:43 PM
Hey guys
Took my CL9 for its 120K service today, had the engine, brake and tranny fluid all replaced along with the oil filter etc..
They checked everything on the car and got the ok!
On the way home from the service, I noticed a slight shake/vibration in the steering wheel. The vibration increased and become slightly more violent around when I reached around the 70-80 km/h.
This shake just started happening after the service was completed, what could of caused this?
I really should of turned around and taken back! :(

Any help would be appreciated!

Cheers

EuroGraphite
12-05-2012, 09:50 PM
Most likely they did a tyre rotation, but the switch caused the uneven wear to be noticeable. Just a guess.

08r3308
12-05-2012, 10:59 PM
check tyre pressures and go elsewhere for rim balance

Adrian128
13-05-2012, 04:17 PM
Yeah.. most likely wheels are now out of balance after rotation, or some of the weights may have fallen off. Also.. check that the wheel nuts are tight..dealer service people have been known to overlook these minor details before handing back the car.

daKIK
13-05-2012, 06:46 PM
Im pretty sure the wheels were not rotated! I saw them remove the wheels but then were put back in the same place! It def seems like the wheels are out of balance though!

trism
13-05-2012, 07:02 PM
Take it back. All mechanics offer service warranty.

marquee
13-05-2012, 08:07 PM
yep take it back they could've dropped a wheel on the hub assembly causing it to go out of whack.

daKIK
15-05-2012, 01:14 PM
Called the shop back today and spoke to someone there. He said my disk brake might need to be machined, or something along those lines..
I told him I was going to bring it back and he said yeh nws, So ill take it back this weekend

EuroGraphite
15-05-2012, 01:36 PM
Did you get brake pads replaced in your service? I took your OP to mean brake fluid...

marquee
15-05-2012, 01:42 PM
Yet defiantly could be brakes if were not machined and just replaced pads

daKIK
15-05-2012, 02:40 PM
Did you get brake pads replaced in your service? I took your OP to mean brake fluid...

Nah the brake pads where not replaced, which is why Im skeptical about his answer.
They only removed the wheels, checked the brakes etc and then returned them, without even swapping them

senna
15-05-2012, 02:55 PM
Any violent shaking after the wheels have been off is enough to worry me...

Have you checked the wheel nuts? Something you can do yourself to be safe, rather than keep driving on it until you can get back to the mechanic and have a go at them.

HunterZero
15-05-2012, 03:05 PM
Agree most likely cause is the tires, they may have swapped wheels around on the car intentionally or by accident, or knocked off a wheel weight, or not torqued some wheel nuts correctly.

- HZ

EuroGraphite
15-05-2012, 03:06 PM

Have you checked the wheel nuts? Something you can do yourself to be safe, rather than keep driving on it until you can get back to the mechanic and have a go at them.
+1 on this...

daKIK
15-05-2012, 03:28 PM

Just to check if the nuts have been tightened yeh?

I will check that when I get home from work, Im not gona be easing the car much until I get a chance to take it back, maybe friday or sat morning

senna
15-05-2012, 03:54 PM
Yes, just to check the wheel nuts are tightened properly.

If you can, jack the car up at each corner and give the wheels a wobble just to double check, but start with going over the wheel nuts first.

ChaosMaster
15-05-2012, 04:21 PM
Yeah, I would do that. Check the wheel nuts, but I would try loosening them, and tightening them up myself again, just to be safe. Should be that you just lose some wheel weights, although most wheels should be made well enough that loosing 10g wouldn't make that much of a difference.

daKIK
15-05-2012, 07:33 PM
Thank you all for the quick replies.
As many of u suggested, it was the wheel nuts!!
The w@nkers forgot to tighten the wheel nuts on the front wheel on the drivers side! :mad:
I tightened them and went over the remaining nuts and then took it for a spin, all seems back to normal!
So much for being a reputable honda mechanic! :thumbdwn:

EG52NV
15-05-2012, 07:40 PM
Thank you all for the quick replies.
As many of u suggested, it was the wheel nuts!!
The w@nkers forgot to tighten the wheel nuts on the front wheel on the drivers side! :mad:
I tightened them and went over the remaining nuts and then took it for a spin, all seems back to normal!
So much for being a reputable honda mechanic! :thumbdwn:

Which mechanic?

Nuggety Nugget
15-05-2012, 08:16 PM
That is seriously unacceptable. They pretty much put your life at risk.

daKIK
16-05-2012, 01:01 PM
Which mechanic?

Hanny's Performance

That is seriously unacceptable. They pretty much put your life at risk.

Yeh I know man, could of been a lot worse!

senna
16-05-2012, 01:15 PM
Wow, very unlike Hannys to be careless like that...

Have you had a chat to them about it? I would still go back and let them know and see what their response is

Nuggety Nugget
16-05-2012, 01:24 PM
Hanny's Performance
Shit! Did you watch them perform the service?

daKIK
16-05-2012, 09:13 PM
Wow, very unlike Hannys to be careless like that...

Have you had a chat to them about it? I would still go back and let them know and see what their response is

I dont see the point to be honest! Im expecting the guy there to be rude and arrogant about it like he was during the service anyway.. Id rather not waste my time and go back for nothing

Shit! Did you watch them perform the service?

Yeh I did watch them from a distance, but I might of looked away or was chatting with my brother at times.. so I dont recall seeing them tightening the nuts at the end