PDA

View Full Version : Shaving Cars

18INCH
05-03-2005, 03:32 PM
Been thinkn bout gettn roof gutter, boot, and handels shaved.
but i dont really know much about who does it or how much it mite cost.

anyone help me out wif a lil info.?

thanx
btw its for an ek4 civic

A'PEXi
05-03-2005, 07:24 PM
well i believe its illegal for starters, what they would do is put a sheet of metal over it, weld it on and then blend it in with the existing panels.... then respray the whole thing, a costly exersise.

i also do believe this topic has been covered, although it may not have been transferred over from the previous version of ohf.

strafe
05-03-2005, 08:06 PM
A neat thing that i saw on a US website was using rear sedan door handles on the front doors of an EK, removing the door locks. This will give the car a slightly cleaner look for a small outlay. Removing the door Handles may not be legal, it's prob. something you'd want to talk to an engineer about.

Boot will still need to retain lighting for the number plate, but you may be able to mould it into the bumper. Maybe you could replace the plastic number plate surround with sheetmetal and place the lock behind the number plate. Remember if you're shaving the front door handles, retain a boot release, as you want a way to get into your car if your central locking fails!!!

Relocating the fuel filler to behind one of the tail lights would be nice, too.

UW15HN
05-03-2005, 09:12 PM
how much does shaving the boot cost?

traNce_gl
07-03-2005, 06:18 PM
Go to panel beaters ..they do it for ya

But price varies ..and go to some one that actually know what they do cause if u dont prolly start to crack and then u have to re do it

MRJDM
07-03-2005, 07:26 PM
imo dont shave the boot. it just doesnt look right on the civics. maybe do the side mouldings and the indicator in the front panel. cos that a euro styling and the lines on the car need to be smooth and rounded. the lines on the civic is too sharp. that my 2 cents

civ_sik
07-03-2005, 07:56 PM
you should get the boot done it looks pretty fresh when its done... then get your number plate put down the bottom of your bumper, got a mate who done it to his eg.

steve88
26-02-2008, 11:12 AM
dont bother shaving 96-98 bumper bars, the moulds undernearth are not flush with the rest of the bumper. unless you want to belt sand them down to be flush lol

Leprechaun
26-02-2008, 01:20 PM
dude this thread is almost 3yrs old? how did you come across this?

ek4-guy
26-02-2008, 01:38 PM
i dont see why shaving the door handles would be illegal a guy we used to race against had his ute done. when he pressed the alarm the doors would pop open

you might wana look into the roof a lil thoe because i rekon there would be a fair amount of flex so youd want to use a flexible filler.

lol damn steve you got me talking to this guy from 3 years ago its problly done by now or the guy died of old age

xedent
26-02-2008, 03:59 PM
LOL this thread is so old... AHAHAHAH
GW steve88

Fo55il
26-02-2008, 04:31 PM
i am kinda curious about this fillign and shaving, i should ask lyle cause he done this to his eg sedan/coupe

teh_mechanic
26-02-2008, 04:38 PM
05 thread.extreme archives.

i think its legal to shave doors if you have a switch/button that is clearly visible that opens the doors.reasoning is,sure you can open the doors with your alarm etc. but if you are in a crash and your car is burning and the fire has almost reached your jdm yo amber clock...and you for that matter....someone needs to be able to get in there quick smart to make the save

Dulcinea
26-02-2008, 05:06 PM
Does anyone have pics of their boot after its been shaved? I recently bought an EK1 and have slimline plates on it and think it looks ridiculous but would want to see some examples before I considered doing it myself.

tommmoe
26-02-2008, 08:27 PM
please dont shave door handles unless you have scissor doors,
as for the gutters on the roof do them, do the side strips they look sexy and plus if there done right there not illegal :)

Dy_
27-02-2008, 02:06 PM
i dont see why shaving the door handles would be illegal a guy we used to race against had his ute done. when he pressed the alarm the doors would pop open

you might wana look into the roof a lil thoe because i rekon there would be a fair amount of flex so youd want to use a flexible filler.

lol damn steve you got me talking to this guy from 3 years ago its problly done by now or the guy died of old age

what happens when you're in an accident and you're unconcious and someone tries to open the door to pull you out? he wont able to and would prob say 'wtf?! this car doesnt have door handles' and let you die lol.

ToOLx
27-02-2008, 02:55 PM
Apply plenty of shaving cream firstly, then smooth strokes with the Mach 3 Turbo should cut through well.

Fo55il
27-02-2008, 03:57 PM
lmao

if u shave door handles you have to compensate by having buttons/latches to open d door elsewhere.
they have to be mechanical not electrical ...

if i respray my car again, im going to be shaving everything !!!1
atm i got shaved sides and they have been filled in but guy who did it dint do the best job, so they a bit fu*ed.

but im plannin on shaving boot, roof strips, maybe door handles ...
gotta plan n look into it ...

55EXX
27-02-2008, 08:13 PM
i've seen a latch clip that came up out where the window is that you pull up. legal.

Fo55il
27-02-2008, 08:18 PM
yeah exactly ... im sure i can do a custom on that cause it dun seem tooo hard ... but i dunno what to do if the battery dies lol

mayeb leave d boot hole un touched lol

emergency styles lol

55EXX
27-02-2008, 08:26 PM
yeah or the old wire down behind and lift the locking mechanism

ghetto styles lol

kairi_k
27-02-2008, 10:54 PM
ditto that...it looks clean as...example '4ORGED' eg

Sexc86
28-02-2008, 09:27 AM
yep yep

i have given my sedan the brazilian treatment.

window squirters, side indicators, all handels, door drims, boot lid and rear doors. one thing i stayed away from was the roof gutters as from time with the body flex it will crack :(

steve88
28-02-2008, 10:39 AM
has anyone shaved EK 96-98 rear/front bumpers??

yes sorry i bumped an ancient thread, theres just so little of someone actually shaving 96-98 EK front/rear bumpers, most cbf and by the EJ front and 99-00 rear but i wanna make use of my 96-98 ones

ek4-guy
28-02-2008, 10:54 AM
what happens when you're in an accident and you're unconcious and someone tries to open the door to pull you out? he wont able to and would prob say 'wtf?! this car doesnt have door handles' and let you die lol.

i think the Briffa smash repairs ute im talking about had latches but they were hidden behind the side skirts

kazam
01-03-2008, 03:47 PM
sexc86's car is a fine example of shaven haven. get him 2 post pics.

[J]
01-03-2008, 04:03 PM
To give some indication of cost - When I had a Subaru Liberty, I wanted to remove the rear wing which would have left 4 screw sized holes in the top of the bootlid.

I received three quotes for the holes to be welded and bootlid resprayed and the average was ~ $400-420.