PDA

View Full Version : gearing for 130kw integra vtir

adrianf72
14-05-2012, 01:15 AM
Hey guys, just a quick question

im curious as to whether the standard b18 transmission is better for the streets in terms of low end power in a 130 kw integra, will the longer gears suit daily driving with casual runs? or would a type r lsd 4.4 fd be more beneficial?

i know this has been covered before but i couldnt find the exact speeds, only figures of the ratios, but does anyone know the max speed of gears 2-4 between the vtir and type r ?

Thanks for your time !

Bludger
14-05-2012, 03:37 AM
im curious as to whether the standard b18 transmission is better for the streets in terms of low end power in a 130 kw integra,
always higher final drive will give you more power.

will the longer gears suit daily driving with casual runs? or would a type r lsd 4.4 fd be more beneficial?

but does anyone know the max speed of gears 2-4 between the vtir and type r ?

Thanks for your time !
max speed daily runs?

anyway, more beneficial all depends on your driving habit.,

connorling
14-05-2012, 07:46 AM
Definitely beneficial. Better yet, get a dc2r gearbox from 98+ got 4.7 final drive

Bludger
14-05-2012, 09:56 AM
Definitely beneficial. Better yet, get a dc2r gearbox from 98+ got 4.7 final drive
not in all aspects.

achieving more acceleration, then yes

connorling
14-05-2012, 10:11 AM
Easier to drive on the rOad with 4.7 isn't it? If u don't mind the noise n high fuel consumption on fwy.

Bludger
14-05-2012, 10:13 AM
Easier to drive on the rOad with 4.7 isn't it? If u don't mind the noise n high fuel consumption on fwy.
no.

not sure what the OP wishes to achieve.

adrianf72
14-05-2012, 01:12 PM
thanks for the quick replies

Not quite sure, wouldnt really push it past 150km much i think..
im more towards low end torque but the longer gears in the vtir gearbox makes me feel as though i would drop out of vtec even though im keeping rpms around 8k when shifting.
The acceleration with shorter gearing seems heavenly though haha but at the expense of low end torque?

butterfingers
14-05-2012, 01:14 PM
pretty sure shorter gearing amplifies torque proportionatley thru the rev range.

Jccck
14-05-2012, 01:21 PM
Not quite sure, wouldnt really push it past 150km much i think..

As if, you haven't lived til you've done 250km/h+ on public roads.

Sure you'll have better acceleration with the shorter gears, but you have to factor in gear shifts too.
If you're shifting all the time, you're losing power/time each time you do.

You're better off having more power, so that more of your rev range is usable.

butterfingers
14-05-2012, 01:22 PM

Sure you'll have better acceleration with the shorter gears, but you have to factor in gear shifts too.

Its only a VTiR, stop confusing the kid.

adrianf72
14-05-2012, 01:25 PM
id give that a second thought first, maybe on a track haha

thats true, so possibly increase power and maybe add an lsd to the stock vtir gearbox is a good option?

butterfingers
14-05-2012, 01:27 PM
Give it a go, you wont know if you like it till you tried it;)

adrianf72
14-05-2012, 01:30 PM
truee at the expense of a couple thousand haha.. my job underpays me too :(
anyways thanks for your help

mocchi
14-05-2012, 01:37 PM

please dont encourage ozhonda members to do this.
you fcukwit.

dc2r-0636
14-05-2012, 01:42 PM
From what I remember type r with 4.7 final drive does

Just under or exactly 100 in 2nd
136-8kph in 3rd and about
I forgot 4th but it would be about 190ish

V73C
14-05-2012, 02:29 PM
Have you driven a 4.7fd ?
Im never looking back man, it feels good. Especially if it was for city driving. Short ratios, fast pick up. Ive you have the money, get it. There is no way you're gonna be dissapointed.

DreadAngel
14-05-2012, 06:14 PM
Track application wise, the basis of gearing selection is to match it with your engine's power/torque band and the track. A technical track with lots of corners, lower average speed with an engine with a 'peaky' [Narrow] powerband would go for shorter ratio and more gears to select from usually at the cost of top end. Visa versa. Very general but gives you an idea.

Now there are problems such as having too short and too many gears meaning more time lost due to the amount of gear shifts made. Too long and/or too little gears [Think like older cars with the traditional 4spd Auto or older Australian/American cars] means that the car relies on its mid range torque to pull it through, troublesome if you don't have a big donk powering you along.

That's all well and good in absolute terms [Racing] but what about street?

It depends on what you personally have, want and can put up with. Shorter the ratio will keep your car on the boil as everyone has alluded yes, if you don't mind shifting more, having a car that's not relaxing to drive, higher rpm doing 100kph on the motorway/freeway therefore more noise etc etc. Factor that in too...

curtis265
14-05-2012, 06:23 PM

please, tell us more about this feat of yours

NightKids
14-05-2012, 06:38 PM

+1...

Jccck
14-05-2012, 07:51 PM

You can look up the gear ratios/final drive/redline of an F22A9 w/ 5sp Gearbox.. On 215/40R17's.
It's impossible to do 250.
And no i didn't find that out from experience, i used math.. Lovely math.

I just thought it'd stir you kids up, you need a bit of excitement in your lives.. Haha.

But ontopic;
I know on a Dirtbike you can spend a few dollars and a bit of time dialing in your sprocket ratios to suit your riding style/locations.
But this would be a very very expensive and time consuming exercise for a car.
Perhaps you could calculate what RPM you will be at in various gears and various speeds.. And see if it 'sounds' better than your current setup?

senna
14-05-2012, 08:09 PM
Is it just me or is everyone missing the point here? Torque is what is required to improve daily driving, not power. The higher ratio is a torque multiplier so it can definitely help, however it may not be necessary.

The 130kw figure means nothing really. OP, how did you get to this power figure? What mods?

Sometimes a retune with a different set of headers will improve mid range torque and response

dougie_504
15-05-2012, 11:54 AM
I'd rather just get the ITR 4.7FD + LSD box rather than go chasing 130kw.

But if you already have the power the 4.7 box will give you the best acceleration. Obviously the lower the FD the better for cruising at high speeds.

adrianf72
15-05-2012, 11:01 PM
i actually do quite abit of highway driving but i guess the extra 500 rpm increase at highway speeds would be bearable for now haha
130kw was just a ball park figure, honestly cant remember why i used that in the first place..

At the moment my mind is more set on installing a ITR 4.4fd + LSD, using highways to whatever destination i need to go to puts me off the 4.7 Fd actually.

One more thing im curious about, in a dc2 vtir with i/h/e and the ITR gearbox, would tuning with a standalone ecu be required? or maybe a reflash would be sufficient? i was under the assumption that a change in gearing would decrease the performance of the car unless properly tuned, or is tuning only required and beneficial when internal work has been done, thanks again !

Bludger
15-05-2012, 11:04 PM
One more thing im curious about, in a dc2 vtir with i/h/e and the ITR gearbox, would tuning with a standalone ecu be required? or maybe a reflash would be sufficient? i was under the assumption that a change in gearing would decrease the performance of the car unless properly tuned, or is tuning only required and beneficial when internal work has been done, thanks again !
please do some reading on this forum, you'll be amazed with the information you'll find.

adrianf72
15-05-2012, 11:13 PM
not sure if its because i dont understand it thats why i overlooked it, but il have a better look around here and try google, thanks for the help

butterfingers
15-05-2012, 11:15 PM
no, tune wont do anything, since we drive manual, gear selection is completly unaffected by ecu

adrianf72
15-05-2012, 11:17 PM
ooh ok ! exactly what i needed to know, more money saved for me :) thanks butter, night guys

Jccck
16-05-2012, 09:12 AM
or maybe a reflash would be sufficient?

What the heck is a reflash?

V73C
16-05-2012, 12:53 PM
What the heck is a reflash?

When you reflash the factory ecu with a new tune.

Jccck
17-05-2012, 09:51 AM
When you reflash the factory ecu with a new tune.

But this isn't possible on an unmodified Honda ecu?
Maybe a newer Ford/Holden.. But not an OBD1 or OBD2

curtis265
17-05-2012, 12:50 PM
You can look up the gear ratios/final drive/redline of an F22A9 w/ 5sp Gearbox.. On 215/40R17's.
It's impossible to do 250.
And no i didn't find that out from experience, i used math.. Lovely math.

I just thought it'd stir you kids up, you need a bit of excitement in your lives.. Haha.

some stupidkunt will take ur advice.

butterfingers
17-05-2012, 01:29 PM
some stupidkunt will take ur advice.

there are alot of those around these days.

stndrd
17-05-2012, 04:04 PM
You can reflash OBD1 p28 computers using Neptune

senna
17-05-2012, 04:05 PM
But this isn't possible on an unmodified Honda ecu?
Maybe a newer Ford/Holden.. But not an OBD1 or OBD2

Falcon flash is accessed via the OBD2 port

Bludger
17-05-2012, 04:05 PM
You can reflash OBD1 p28 computers using Neptune
do you offer this service?

pm me if you do.

stndrd
17-05-2012, 04:25 PM
I don't tune personally, but if you have a chat to Trent @ Chequered Tuning in Dandenong (Vic), he will be able to look after you