PDA

View Full Version : any tips removing wheel nuts that wont come out

gach2
15-05-2012, 07:32 PM
As in title got a wheel nut that doesnt want to come off

First tried the rattle gun (one nut came off)
Then tried my socket tool (not that but wtevers in the boot of the car)
with some spare exhaust piping for leverage (got other 2 nuts off)

With the fourth one sprayed wd40 and kept trying with the tool and ended up breaking the head of it off

The nut is the hex type

any help would be appreciated

EG52NV
15-05-2012, 07:34 PM
This is why all wheels nuts should be tightened by hand using torque wrench, good luck buddy and if you break anything take the car back to the kunt who tightened the nuts in the first place and make them pay!

CRXDEL501
15-05-2012, 07:35 PM
rattle gun didnt work...

oh jeez lol.

EKVTIR-T
15-05-2012, 07:36 PM
Can you put up a clear photo off it ?

Wanna see exactly wheres it broke and how it is

senna
15-05-2012, 07:38 PM
Heat the wheel nuts with a heat gun or hairdryer if you don't have the latter. The nut should expand faster than the wheel studs and make it easier to undo.

Once you have removed all of the wheel nuts you should look into replacing your wheel studs, they may have been stretched or damaged as a result of over tightening

Drifter995
15-05-2012, 10:01 PM
I usually tighten them to as tight as I can turn the thing with the cross tyre iron thingo...
Did you try a breaker bar with the length of pipe? Breaker bars are made for higher stress work afaik... so try that.

amant02
15-05-2012, 10:15 PM
Lub it up wit wd40! and use ur weight on the cross bar. ( like step on it and use ur legg muscles)

i would buy a cheap hex key and use a metal bar thru it or a bigg ass wrech

trism
15-05-2012, 10:21 PM
Yep, your post says exactly what OP has already done.

EG52NV
15-05-2012, 10:23 PM
I think the heat gun recommendation might actually work careful not to melt the paint on the wheel

amant02
15-05-2012, 10:47 PM
Fine if that dsnt work, you can buy insta freeze cans from medical shops and freeze the nut and get a hammer out, please be preped for extra dmg,

Dont u have fob firends?

Oz_Striker
15-05-2012, 10:59 PM
Inb4"someonereportsstolenwheels"

Bludger
15-05-2012, 11:09 PM
need to see this nut.

post picture please.

is the hex damaged?

there is nothing on a car a 1.5 meter long breaker bar can't take care of.

if hex is damaged, i recommend bolt grips.

http://www.irwin.com.au/uploads/products/large/bolt-grips-1346.jpg

Bludger
15-05-2012, 11:10 PM
This is why all wheels nuts should be tightened by hand using torque wrench, good luck buddy and if you break anything take the car back to the kunt who tightened the nuts in the first place and make them pay!
torque wrench on wheels nuts is a waste of time.

EG52NV
15-05-2012, 11:14 PM
need to see this nut.

post picture please.

is the hex damaged?

there is nothing on a car a 1.5 meter long breaker bar can't take care of.

if hex is damaged, i recommend bolt grips.

http://www.irwin.com.au/uploads/products/large/bolt-grips-1346.jpg

The nut is the hex type

Sound like its the type when you insert a hex key into the nut and the out side is round

EG52NV
15-05-2012, 11:16 PM
torque wrench on wheels nuts is a waste of time.

Good to know you feel that way...

3K9
15-05-2012, 11:49 PM
As mentioned previously, I'd bring it back to the person who last took the wheel nuts off the car and on again.
Otherwise, breaker bar + a loooong metal pipe and just use your body weight on it to hopefully undo the c****! :)

CRXDEL501
15-05-2012, 11:51 PM
As mentioned previously, I'd bring it back to the person who last took the wheel nuts off the car and on again.
Otherwise, breaker bar + a loooong metal pipe and just use your body weight on it to hopefully undo the c****! :)

Well said !

euRo_noob
16-05-2012, 09:59 AM
How tight can a bolt be that a breaker bar can't undo? =o

Use your musk-klez, put your back into it (proper lifting technique) or put your body weight on it as said above ^

But I'm interested to see a pic of what was broken.

senna
16-05-2012, 10:04 AM
If the nut is that tight then extreme force will probably break the wheel stud, and end up in tears...

euRo_noob
16-05-2012, 10:20 AM
Yeah probably true ^

Go back and complain to whoever tightened it or bring it to a mechanic and buy a new set of wheel studs? Or DIY if you know how

4age8u
16-05-2012, 10:44 AM
Go to the gym

CRXDEL501
16-05-2012, 11:01 AM
Well said !

this was not a serious comment.
as people saying what someone else has already said in a different manner to try and get rep amuses me lol

gach2
16-05-2012, 03:27 PM
Thanks for the comments
tried the heat gun wiht my impact wrench (sorry meant that not an air rattle gun if thats what you though)
no luck

also the wheel nut looks fine

think whoever tightened it put way too much torque into it

mite just need to buy a breaker bar n try

GU357
16-05-2012, 10:49 PM
get a good half inch breaker bar from repco (of decent length) and the appropriate sized socket to suit. i think its a 19mm.
OR
alternatively put the nuts back on and drive to bridgestone and ask for a wheel allignment. cost abt 60 bucks saves effort. and if they damage it maybe they will pay? if not they did as much damage as you would of done.

na-118
16-05-2012, 11:10 PM
i use rattle gun on every single car i work on no problems i see these car every 4 months for the last 4 years

SU-WOOP
17-05-2012, 12:23 AM
buy a cheep can of bbq butane gas like desposible cans for a portable stove top bash a socket on and spray the gas on the nut FREEZE AND RELEASE works quicker with less damadge on siezed parts while your mid DIY in ya backyard on a sunday
probably crossthreaded az F***K

gach2
17-05-2012, 06:05 PM
^^ can someone please explain about this freeze n release technique
explain it to me a noob as i have no idea about how to do this
thanks

Bludger
17-05-2012, 06:08 PM
thanks
I don't understand what's going on.

have you tried 1.5 mtr breaker bar yet?

guaranteed will get it off

butterfingers
17-05-2012, 06:13 PM
try jacking the car up first

it might help.

curtis265
17-05-2012, 06:20 PM

yes agry'd, i had to do that once with our old car

mocchi
17-05-2012, 06:23 PM
1/2" rattle gun aint the same like 1" gun

TbM
17-05-2012, 06:41 PM
1/2" rattle gun aint the same like 1" gun

amazing revelations

Evok
17-05-2012, 06:55 PM
find the biggest pole in your area, chop it down and use it as a breaker bar, invite all your mates and have them sit/jump on the bar.

GU357
17-05-2012, 07:19 PM
amazing revelations

i agree seems stupid but i think he means the 1 inch or 3/4inch ones REALLY do up the bolts, much more torque then a 1/2 inch rattle gun usually provides.

marquee
18-05-2012, 12:20 AM
try jacking the car up first

it might help.

I'm not sure if your serious.

This may seem like a stupid idea but if you try and tighten it and then loosen i have found sometimes that works.

If that fails i would wd40 and breaker bar hope for the best.

Then grab the breaker bar and hit the guy who tightened them up natsrs

Drifter995
18-05-2012, 02:52 AM
I'm not sure if your serious.

This may seem like a stupid idea but if you try and tighten it and then loosen i have found sometimes that works.

If that fails i would wd40 and breaker bar hope for the best.

Then grab the breaker bar and hit the guy who tightened them up natsrs

I would say horrible move.
Mostly because the wheel is not on the ground, so it'll spin freely... unless it's in gear, which I imagine isn't very good for the gearbox... I don't know if it's bad for it, I just like to think it's bad for it. Handbrake, eh. (towards the quote you quoted I mean... just realised that as I went to post this... derp)

So yeah, as I said earlier, get a 1/2" breaker bar, get the socket size you need, put it on there, get a huge goddamn piece of pole, wd40 if you must, and pull or push on the bloody pipe. It SHOULD undo it. If not, things have gone sideways, and I'm stumped.

Bludger
18-05-2012, 03:24 AM
worse case = dremal

but breaker bar will do it easy.

EG52NV
18-05-2012, 08:50 AM
I think everyone is missing the point here but I was under the impression OP has the sort of wheels nuts which require you to insert a HEX key inside the wheel nut to remove it, and the weakest link in this equation is the hex key which OP says he's already broken by putting excessive force on it using the wheel brace supplied in the boot... Using a bigger breaker bar will be no good if all he does is keep snapping hex keys...

senna
18-05-2012, 09:00 AM
If thats the case then he should buy a hex key that has a 1/2" fitting to go on the end of the breaker bar

curtis265
18-05-2012, 10:37 AM
I would say horrible move.
Mostly because the wheel is not on the ground, so it'll spin freely... unless it's in gear, which I imagine isn't very good for the gearbox... I don't know if it's bad for it, I just like to think it's bad for it. Handbrake, eh. (towards the quote you quoted I mean... just realised that as I went to post this... derp)

So yeah, as I said earlier, get a 1/2" breaker bar, get the socket size you need, put it on there, get a huge goddamn piece of pole, wd40 if you must, and pull or push on the bloody pipe. It SHOULD undo it. If not, things have gone sideways, and I'm stumped.

doubt it, considering the engine, especially the d15b will put massive amounts of torque through the gearbox.

GU357
18-05-2012, 12:12 PM
thats true, i find tht keeping the car on the ground whilst initially cracking the bolts is best. then jack it up to remove the nuts, this way you prevent soo much pressure to be placed on the stud to the rim.

gach2
18-05-2012, 02:46 PM
definately confusion here
the wheel nut and the hex key are fine
what broke was the wheel removal tool (wheel brace) that was holding the hex key
hence why i havent tried doing this again
however long pole i get, how much i strenght i put in
the wheel brace couldnt handle it
after looking online damn long breaker bars are pricey lol
so thinkn of other methods
etc freezing but i dont understand the basics of it

Bludger
18-05-2012, 02:47 PM
what broke was the wheel removal tool (wheel brace) that was holding the hex key
an oem honda wheel brace broke?

Skyline_034
18-05-2012, 03:50 PM
unlucky.. :/

please supply photo OP

Lanzamus
18-05-2012, 04:33 PM
Whats your reason for taking the wheel off?
If you dont have the proper tools to do it at home take it to a tyre place for a tyre rotation. It will cost f all and they will free up the pesky nut and you can just do whatever you want with it at home.

gach2
18-05-2012, 04:40 PM
btw not for a honda (thought notsure which manufacture wheel brace i broke)
i would if i could
but cant take it anywhere as its a project car (front ends currently off), no rego
reason for taking it off is that the rim needs to go with another car (atm that car has 3 wheels n spare on it)

Lanzamus
18-05-2012, 04:43 PM
Buy one of the X type wheelbraces from supercheap, they were on sale a couple weeks ago for $7, then stand on it as previously said, get a fob mate over as previously said, then use the pimpin wheel brace in your daily.

Bludger
18-05-2012, 04:46 PM
Buy one of the X type wheelbraces from supercheap, they were on sale a couple weeks ago for $7, then stand on it as previously said, get a fob mate over as previously said, then use the pimpin wheel brace in your daily.
x braces are shit.

Lanzamus
18-05-2012, 04:49 PM
Ive never had a problem with them.

na-118
18-05-2012, 04:51 PM
oxy the **** off get it over and done with

EG52NV
18-05-2012, 04:57 PM

ohhhhh, well where you located, I can lend you an impact socket, and my super cheap auto breaker bar, add exhaust piping on the end to get extra leverage, that will break your hex key before the socket breaks lol....

GU357
18-05-2012, 05:03 PM
you have a project car at your house but cant take off a wheel nut?
whats happening in this world.

OP (gach2)
as aked before can you give us a picture of the nut in question?
we are trying to help out but your lack of posts seems like your nopt trying to help yourself.
we could keep suggesting things but a image would be more helpful to clear any confusion on what type of nut it is and any other possible ideas.

na-118
18-05-2012, 05:38 PM
eg2nv i'm a heavy vehicle/ plant mechanic, sometimes, theres really only one way left of doing it,

i guess your workshop manuals and diys don't help much with experience in the industry

EG52NV
18-05-2012, 06:07 PM
eg2nv i'm a heavy vehicle/ plant mechanic, sometimes, theres really only one way left of doing it,

i guess your workshop manuals and diys don't help much with experience in the industry

Where's he gonna get access to industry tools lol.. He doesn't even have a breaker bar man...

Bludger
18-05-2012, 06:08 PM
Where's he gonna get access to industry tools lol.. He doesn't even have a breaker bar man...
don't start.

na-118
18-05-2012, 06:08 PM
his mates might be a plumber

curtis265
18-05-2012, 06:11 PM
x braces are shit.

x2

fukin punk ass weld

Lukey
18-05-2012, 06:16 PM
if you broke the x-brace, go buy a decent sized breaker bar from repco or super cheap, like 600mm long, put hex key socket on it, get wheel nut off.

EG52NV
18-05-2012, 06:17 PM
don't start.

Quit it with your don't start comments m8 it a public forum.

Bludger
18-05-2012, 06:21 PM
http://imnotatoy.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/10_funny_celebrity_gifs3.gif?w=358&h=306p
Quit it with your don't start comments m8.

Drifter995
18-05-2012, 06:32 PM
You do realise 1/2 breaker bars aren't very expensive... you'd spend like what? $50 for a kinchrome one maybe? just get one of them, and slip the pipe over the end, and use the extra length... We had to undo the wheel bearing nuts on one of the corollas at school, and that thing was stuck something chronic. we used the breaker bar and some exhaust pipe, and after some leverage, it came undone :D
The breaker bar with the length of pipe on it should work, provided the pipe doesn't bend... Seriously, it won't cost that much

mocchi
18-05-2012, 07:05 PM
kincrome is abt 70-80 bucks for the long ones
really good investment

Lukey
18-05-2012, 07:21 PM
You do realise 1/2 breaker bars aren't very expensive... you'd spend like what? $50 for a kinchrome one maybe? just get one of them, and slip the pipe over the end, and use the extra length... We had to undo the wheel bearing nuts on one of the corollas at school, and that thing was stuck something chronic. we used the breaker bar and some exhaust pipe, and after some leverage, it came undone :D
The breaker bar with the length of pipe on it should work, provided the pipe doesn't bend... Seriously, it won't cost that much

also gotta remember that shocking something loose will always work better than brute force, thats why rattle guns are so efffective :)

Bludger
18-05-2012, 07:28 PM
kincrome is abt 70-80 bucks for the long ones
really good investment
I find sliding T handle stronger than breaker bars.

http://www.sidchrome.com.au/image.ashx?w=400&path=/portals/0/images/products/2565.JPG

GU357
18-05-2012, 09:37 PM
I find sliding T handle stronger than breaker bars.

http://www.sidchrome.com.au/image.ashx?w=400&path=/portals/0/images/products/2565.JPG

i have one of these it undoes my wheel nuts every time even if the guys at bridgestone used a rattle gun. just put it on and boot it (try not to miss otherwise you will be in pain)
plus its good because after you crack the nut initially u can slide the bar to the middle and just twirl it off between your fingers.

either way we should give up on this until OP gets back to us.

na-118
18-05-2012, 10:38 PM
go to markets buy a 30 dollar one, over the last 5 years it hasn't let me down probably use it on bigger shit then you ****s will ever LOL

SU-WOOP
19-05-2012, 02:31 AM
thanks
heat expands metal
cold contarcts metal
the stud is made from different metal than the wheel nut
different metals expand and contract at different rates either hot or cold
the difference in rate is what we are trying to achieve to make the nut loose
do wee freez the wheel stud and hope it contracts quicker than the nut and comes loose
or do we heat the wheel nut and hope it expands quicker than the stud and comes loose
if its cross threaded u can forcefully un thread it using heat or cold to asisst too hot and the nut will melt or round off then you cant unscrew it
to cold as in imposibly cold cyrogenically ****en frozen and the nut will shatter like an ice cube along with anything frozen with it
ive found that in moey dont worrys back yard on a sunday that a propane can of lighter fluid gets the stud cold enough if you stub the nozzle on the stud untill u see the lighter fluid make it frosty unless your a profesional and can use the oxy
do u have an oxy
do you no how to light and an oxy
is ur oxy tip for cutting or heating
do you have the skill to heat the nut and not melt it
do you have the skill and a quality socket to not round off the nut as its become softer with heat
pm me if u need asistance with technique

Lanzamus
19-05-2012, 06:46 PM

Lookout, we got a badass over here...

Why all the hate on eg52nv?????

Bludger
19-05-2012, 06:54 PM
Lookout, we got a badass over here...

Why all the hate on eg52nv?????
cos faggotry and he knows it.

Lanzamus
19-05-2012, 07:05 PM
That's not really nice nor called for

tiksie
19-05-2012, 07:08 PM

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/541143_413509775349058_100000701174845_1243958_458 379629_n.jpg

Bludger
19-05-2012, 07:18 PM
you should stay out if you don't know the full story.

EG52NV
19-05-2012, 07:19 PM
cos faggotry and he knows it.

Excuse me! Please keep these posts to the lounge section... Kthxbye...

amant02
19-05-2012, 08:35 PM
Okay, i was in this situation about a year ago, my studs bent due to using a space saver when I had flat tire ( the space saver rim cracked, now i know why they say 80km max)

Well you know that your gonna have to replace the studs which aren't that expensive ($7/ea) but at the same time you gonna have to open up the hubs (this is where the real headaches start)

I couldn't find a mechanic in my area that had a press or would wanna risk opening hub as the press can damage it. Had to travel 2 suburbs down ($80/hub). Remove the whole assembly from the cv joint (also check for other wear and tears while your at it control arms, brake lines, abs system etc etc etc) now since you have opened up your cv joint I would also replace the boot and the metal wire that ties it down then no worries forever hopefully.

Since you have that the hub opened you cant reuse the wheel bearings now you will need new wheel bearings ($89/set). Good idea to replace all 4 wheels bearings while your at it, then no worry's for another 200, 000Kms more.

After all of this took me about 2 hours in the morning and 2 hours in the afternoon, you need a spare car to drive around dropping things off to the mechanics and what not you gota do in your normal day. (love my neighbours).

Now to you cant open the nut. I struggled to open mine too its always the last one. As i mentioned earlier, get wd40 over spray around the nut. Push the tire back so non of its weight is touching the nut. Get your hex key put in, use a shorter bar with the hex key, make sure the bar is at approx 10 clock or 11 o clock. Get a mallet and smack that bar as hard as u can. And then use your weight with legg muscles. This should work. The air gun didnt work for me either.

Or if you still fail, i know tyre power will open your nut up for 30 bucks ea.

Remember every time the bar makes a full round it will get stuck at the same place so use the mallet again, dont be scared to use excessive force, when it came to part where the bar goes up, the amount of force i used looked like i was gonna flip the car myself even thought i know its possible. (also helps releasing abit of steam of your shoulders, cmon how angry does this get you)
Also i didnt use wd40, my grandpa was a mechanic his old school when it comes this sorta things lol, he helped me out.

AND FOR FUTURE PLEASE DONT USE HEX NUTS, its a waste.... if your that worried someone is gonna steal your rims just get locking nuts, gonna save yourself soo much troubles down the track.

mugen_ctr
19-05-2012, 08:42 PM
worse case scenario, cut the rim an nut off LOL yes some has done this before, an lets just say its very last resort, even after visiting 3 workshops hahahha

amant02
19-05-2012, 08:48 PM
worse case scenario, cut the rim an nut off LOL yes some has done this before, an lets just say its very last resort, even after visiting 3 workshops hahahha

This was my gramps 1st idea lol. Not even 1/2 way down the nut i gave up. Its hard even with an angle grinder. went thru 3 disks AND 10 jigsaw blades before saw a descent cut

EG52NV
19-05-2012, 10:05 PM
This was my gramps 1st idea lol. Not even 1/2 way down the nut i gave up. Its hard even with an angle grinder. went thru 3 disks AND 10 jigsaw blades before saw a descent cut

Wouldn't be a problem if wheels were rota :P you could break them with a plastic hammer notsrs...

GU357
19-05-2012, 10:10 PM
who cares anymore OP isnt responding, shows lack of effort he cant even help himself to browse through these ideas and tell him what hes tried doing since.

DC2-PWR
19-05-2012, 10:12 PM
Just drive it to the mechanics and they should have the tools to open it, and then just tight it to 80lbs at the workshop.

amant02
20-05-2012, 01:10 AM
Just drive it to the mechanics and they should have the tools to open it, and then just tight it to 80lbs at the workshop.

His gonna have to replace the studs, from the sounds of things the treading has been damaged.

Bludger
20-05-2012, 05:28 AM
mate, you haven't been reading though the thread.

god knows I'm guilty of this at times.

TbM
20-05-2012, 05:45 AM

http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j480/tbmindustrys2/read_thread_before_post_gif.gif

DC2-PWR
20-05-2012, 07:18 AM
FU spam crew FU :p

Good luck OT :)

TbM
20-05-2012, 07:22 AM
FU spam crew FU

Good luck OT

http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j480/tbmindustrys2/funny-gifs-who.gif

mytfoz
20-05-2012, 10:00 AM
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s72/randomrules15/LOL.gif

CRXDEL501
20-05-2012, 10:50 PM
http://cdn.hotstockmarket.com/f/ff/378x364px-LL-ffce2082_funny-gif-cute-dog-seriously-guys.gif