PDA

View Full Version : Honda eg civic vti

J D M
16-05-2012, 12:43 AM
im not sure if this is the right area but..

Im considering a honda eg civic vti as a daily driver for the duration of my provisional license. I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on this car i know all the internet knowledge just dont have the first hand experience in one.

NeedVtec
16-05-2012, 12:47 AM
What the forum members tell you in this thread has been covered many times before in other threads.

chow_tofu
16-05-2012, 01:56 AM
Advice - Turn off the stereo and close the windows when you drive it, this makes it easier to hear any bad noise/sound.
Being an old car, theres going to be stuff that needs replacing, basically anything that squeaks/crunches/leaks = no good.

Theres the 'normal' checks you should do, such as:

Check if the odometer lines up (Hard to tell, but judge the condition of the car and determine if its genuine or not)
Check engine cover for leaks ( Check for any visible oil leak, especially around the timing belt side)
Check brake master cylinder for leaks (You notice paint coming off the cylinder as brake fluid eats away the paint)
Check proportional valve for leaks (Theres a black rubber piece thats meant to be intact, check if its still there or leaking in general)
Check if CV boots are intact (Typical problem with old cars, do a full lock on each side and listen for any noises. Check underside if its broken)
Check the brake pedal, it shouldnt be 'squishy' or hard or too soft. Neither should it sink any further down when you've braked to a complete stop.

Check around the rear wheel arches/roof for any signs of rust.
Check the boot(under the spare tire) for any signs of water leak and rust.
Go through all gears and make sure it doesnt 'crunch'
When its safe to do so, *cough* drive it a bit hard and see what colour smoke you get. Being an old car, no doubt its going to have some sort of smoke.
Black - running rich, Blue/Gray - burning oil, Blueish/White - water/coolant? - Id prefer to have it running a tad rich (black) than any other colour.
Go through some speed bumps to test the suspension.

Theres loads more to check, but this is just some I can think of now. If you're unsure, just bring along a mechanic with you :)

J D M
16-05-2012, 02:56 AM
Thanks tofu great information! As a 1.6 I assume these cars are fairly economical and suitable daily?

chow_tofu
16-05-2012, 08:45 AM
In terms of economical, they're OK. Being a sohc vtec, you kind of have to rev it a bit to get it going.

Driving to and from work I get about 7.5L/100KMs, highway was about 6.3L/100KM for me.

Also, some EGs have a faulty "Low Fuel Light" just keep in mind, the light could never turn on haha.

3K9
16-05-2012, 09:25 AM
+ As all EG Civic owners know, the fuel gauge is like a 'yo-yo' under the half way line, yo! =/
BTW, does this apply to the EKs or other D series engine?

simmy
16-05-2012, 10:36 AM
+ As all EG Civic owners know, the fuel gauge is like a 'yo-yo' under the half way line, yo! =/

d series, happens to most cars ive been in.

wat tofu said

dc292177917
16-05-2012, 11:33 AM

mine doesnt do the yo-yo move but...
the top half last forever while the lower half drops like free falling lol
anyway i always hv abt 9.5L/100km (80% city 20% freeway)

butterfingers
16-05-2012, 11:47 AM

yes. It tends to go up when im going uphill.

dougie_504
16-05-2012, 12:16 PM
Good car IMO. I have the sedan for my daily driver. Carries four people easily enough, goes fast enough to overtake and enjoy myself, good enough on fuel but not awesome, I seriously doubt many people get their VTi below 8L/100. I struggle to get mine below 8.5L/100 and I don't even drive it that hard.

Otherwise full electrics, sunroof, A/C, P/S, double wishbone suspension, enough zip, small, lightweight, economical, good solid car IMO.

Timothy
16-05-2012, 12:36 PM
Mine was at around 7L/100kms with a mixture of city and highway.
And I drive with a fairly heavy foot.
I would put $20 in which would be about 15L and get around 200kms out of it.
So whatever that works out to be.

Egxris
16-05-2012, 12:42 PM
B18C2 i get 500km to a tank on BP98. Great car to drive as a daily.

caljones
16-05-2012, 01:02 PM
i bought a eg vti sedan as a daily for my p plates, i regret not buying an engine swapped civic. Not sure of your situation but if you have the money i would buy one.

cuppa
16-05-2012, 07:38 PM
Mine's about 9L/100km also an eg5.

Horrible little car, maybe it's just my eg but yeah anyway my fuel gauge tends to fluctuate when i run hard or up hill.

dougie_504
18-05-2012, 12:36 AM
Well my fuel gauge doesn't drop below full until I've done about 150km. I just go off the odometer.

butterfingers
18-05-2012, 12:38 AM
i dont use petrol

i use vtec.

pheestyle
18-05-2012, 12:55 PM
In terms of economical, they're OK. Being a sohc vtec, you kind of have to rev it a bit to get it going.

Driving to and from work I get about 7.5L/100KMs, highway was about 6.3L/100KM for me.

Also, some EGs have a faulty "Low Fuel Light" just keep in mind, the light could never turn on haha.

LOL this is so true. my car died on one of most busy roads in adelaide 2 days ago. it was about 2mm above empty. BAM lost all power and was stuck for 40 mins

pheestyle
18-05-2012, 01:01 PM
sorry to thread raid but what do people do to mod their eg5s?
im on a uni bugdet so not willing to spend big $$ on it.

i picked one up for 2.2k with 190km on the clock. no oil leaks clean engine. checked with the paper clip thingo all things went well.

NelsonLSY
18-05-2012, 07:43 PM
i drive an EG5 in Adelaide too
the chassis on eg is fun to drive, get urself shocks and spring, then kick in the vtec on windy road

NelsonLSY
18-05-2012, 08:04 PM
btw 2.2k is pretty cheap~~

FAITHLESS
18-05-2012, 10:25 PM
sorry to thread raid but what do people do to mod their eg5s?
im on a uni bugdet so not willing to spend big $$ on it.

i picked one up for 2.2k with 190km on the clock. no oil leaks clean engine. checked with the paper clip thingo all things went well.

Intake, headers, exhaust for engine and shocks + springs, strut bar, rear sway bar for handling.Pretty much all you wanna do on a uni budget.

Or do eg5's already have rsb?

chow_tofu
18-05-2012, 10:44 PM
Yes, EG5 already have a RSB and I think its 12mm from factory. However Id stick to more to handling mods than performance mods.

Because being a sohc vtec, you wont be gaining much on those mods. Not saying it wont, but maybe a few kw haha.

Intake can be picked up from ebay around $100 and headers maybe $250.

If you plan to get exhaust, I heard 2" catback is the best to go for a sohc engine.

But as others said, shocks & springs will do a good combo and make you car lot more fun around corners.

FAITHLESS
18-05-2012, 10:53 PM
Yes, EG5 already have a RSB and I think its 12mm from factory. However Id stick to more to handling mods than performance mods.

Because being a sohc vtec, you wont be gaining much on those mods. Not saying it wont, but maybe a few kw haha.

Intake can be picked up from ebay around $100 and headers maybe $250.

If you plan to get exhaust, I heard 2" catback is the best to go for a sohc engine.

But as others said, shocks & springs will do a good combo and make you car lot more fun around corners.

there's also the fun factor with a bit of added sound on I/H/E lol
it's all about the fun with a low budget build

NelsonLSY
18-05-2012, 11:19 PM
and good set tyres for sure

chow_tofu
19-05-2012, 11:26 PM
Ill have to admit it'll definately be alot more fun than a stock civic if you have upgrades lol.

Intake and headers arent bad, but for exhaust...make sure you find the right one otherwise it'll sound raspy/farty haha.

Definately agree with good tyres. Unless you plan to drive like a granny, dont cheap out on tyres or you'll regret it later.

pheestyle
20-05-2012, 10:31 PM
In terms of bang for buck, is there anything that's a must for eg5s?

FAITHLESS
20-05-2012, 10:43 PM
In terms of bang for buck, is there anything that's a must for eg5s?
nope.