PDA

View Full Version : powersliding accord?

Bobby
22-12-2003, 05:10 PM
Have any of you guys/girls on here noticed that the accord has heaps of oversteer, for a fwd?
Ive noticed that if you rip it round a corner, you can pull some heavy powerslides. even without, the hand brake.

just making a comment coz i would like to know how to control it better, if anyone has 1st hand experience about this.

euro77
22-12-2003, 05:48 PM
Never noticed it before... but I rarely corner hard anyway :lol:

Maybe strut braces can help

Calvo
22-12-2003, 06:11 PM
yeh bobby, i have realised that actually.
prob coz my car is so damn high as its stock, i realise it more :D

JohnnyBoy
23-12-2003, 07:54 AM
Yeah.. i'll agree with calvo and bobbie..

i wouldn't say i corner really hard, but i wouldn't say i corner at a snail's pace either. but i've noticed it too.

there have been at times i thought, 'CRAP.. don't think i'll make it around this bend at this speed', then only to find that, 'Hmm.. it's over steering and my back's sliding out.. better ease up on the turning..'

I've had my suspension done, so having a lower centre of grav don't help all that much..

also, take a look at you rear tyres.. i can see wearing just a little on the wall's of the tyres.. just near the grip part, if you know where i mean..

also, will struts and or sway's help?? and if so, just the rear's or both?? A mate of mine was saying something like, for FWD's, a rear strut brace will help to oversteer, whereas in RWD's, a front strut brace will.

i can't remember if it's that way around or vice versa, but something along the lines of that..

also, what brand??

Bobby
23-12-2003, 10:16 AM
yeah i think i heard a dude say something to me about that before.
also i have an article stuck on my door, from hot fours that says that if you harden the back springs and add a rear strut, it will help heaps, but i kinda like sliding out at the back.
im definitely gonna get some harder springs but keep the ride height somewhat similar coz i like the look, and it lets me slide out better ( i guess).

Slugoid
23-12-2003, 07:22 PM
I have a 7th gen Accord and although it doesn't experience much oversteer (compared to a RWD), I agree that you can powersilde it pretty easily without the handbrake. Maybe if I turned off the Vehicle Stability Assist it may side even more. :D

AP1 F20c
24-12-2003, 01:31 PM
Having owned and driven a couple of Accords all from different generations during my time, from non-VTEC to SOHC VTEC, DOHC VTEC and now DOHC i-VTEC. I cannot indicate any prove of oversteer in these rides. It's typical Honda built, and has that typical understeering characteristics much like the rest of the FF models. Power sliding? I think not, it's more like understeering with a torque cloud giving you a perception that it's oversteering. Much else, I'm not here to prove anyone wrong so if you cannot differentiate true oversteer and common understeer even in the best of balanced cars, you'd first need to understand how different it handles.

This goes for the new CL9 (Generation 7) Accord Euro as well, that I was fortune enough to have it tested for a half a day at a winding road circuit with nothing but absolute thumbs up to Honda for creating an Accord with significant superior handling over the previous generations. With the 2 modes available, should you have VSA activated, the car will understeer like there's no tommorrow, no difference from the previous Accord in general. But when you have VSA OFF, it will significantly handle differently with much more neutral handling, this produces much less understeer and handle very similar to a DC5R giving you true Accord performance the way it really should be. One step up, you'd need undoubtly an LSD to further improve that neutral handling giving you truly total control.

Slugoid
24-12-2003, 02:52 PM
Thanx for the tip AP1 F20c....I think I'm gonna test out some mountain passes with VSA off ;)

Also, did any Accords have LSD installed from factory??

AP1 F20c
24-12-2003, 03:18 PM
Yup, they sure did ... The JDM Euro Rs all have the factory helical LSD used by the DCs, and the JDM 5MT SiR-T I drove with the blue DOHC VTEC block also had factory LSD equipped. Giving it much better handling with a very neutral bias when compared to non-LSD equipped cars.

euro77
26-12-2003, 06:25 PM
Sorry... but what's LSD?

mo
26-12-2003, 08:34 PM
I think *Limited Slip Differential* or something similar!!

Bobby
28-12-2003, 08:09 AM
seeing that everyone seems to find this topic interesting i was wonderin if anyone could tell me the ranking of the major popular honda cars, in terms of performance and handling etc as a package.
i know the integra would be up there as one of the top but how does it go from there down if say the integra is obviously one of the best.
(i dont include NSX coz y'know its obvioud why not....its the best car in the world!)
Iknow that ill give a biased opinion, that has not been tested yet, so could anyone help?

Slugoid
28-12-2003, 03:49 PM
Honda Civic's are up there with the Integra's in terms of performance/popularity. I'd say the S2000 is the new favourite for top end performance.

From those car mentioned, I'd say Accords and the old Preludes will come next.

vuvu
28-12-2003, 06:22 PM
This is what i think is the best from a performance view... not popularity

NSX
DC-R
S2k
Civic/crx
Prelude
Accord
City Turbo
Beat :D

did i miss ne?

some may argue that the civic is not better than the prelude.. but this is just my own opinion... that and i own a civic myself :twisted:

feel free to attack my list ;)
peace out

calvintys
01-01-2004, 11:30 PM
About 6 year back i own a 97 accord... i was using on track. Fully lowed and with custome make suspension system (during that time hard to get any performance part on accord). That car was the MOST stable car i ever drive, the tail never ever slie at all not matter how hard i push it on track,,, it is a great car.... i ever try to make a very sharp turn on 130 km/h on a corner but the tail never slie... however i end up on the sand.

marinos
10-03-2004, 06:11 PM
Driving my mums 94 Vtir I have had the ass slide out on more than one occasion.
most of the times under hard driving tho...

wynode
10-03-2004, 08:13 PM
Driving my mums 94 Vtir I have had the ass slide out on more than one occasion.
most of the times under hard driving tho...Tyres have a lot to do with it.........A hell of a lot.

toE
10-03-2004, 11:55 PM
I have Falken GRb FK451 215/35/18 all round, lowered, bla, bla, bla.... stock sway (if any)...

I have to say that i dont find my car sliding at all. I feel confident going hard around 90 - 60 degree corners.

Now, i'm giving credit to the Falkens because after using Pirelli's P7000 (18/225/40), Continental Contisport (18/225/40) and Bridgestone S03 (225/40/18 F, 235/40/18 R), I have to say, that the Falkens handled far better than the Pirellis and Continental.

But from my list of tyres i've used and experienced, Bridgestone would be first, followed by Falkens. And to be honest, the Pirellis and the Continental felt the same. Buut....dat's besides the topic....but thought maybe it would be relevant. :)

VTEC16
11-03-2004, 12:25 AM
I find my civic EK4 has masses amounts of lift off oversteer! ....with my old dunlop sp sports it was shocking - id be looking through the side passengers window to see the road ahead of me! .....iv got yoko A539s now....and they have helped to an extent....