PDA

View Full Version : Warranty Issue

Murshid
16-05-2012, 05:11 PM
Hi All,

I am relatively new in this forum.

I just have a quick question regarding warranty. I bought a Honda Jazz 2007 in Dec 2007. I have extended warranty which will end this year Dec. From August last year while servicing my car it was found there is oil leaking from engine. The agent is saying it’s not a major issue and was fixed. When I did last servicing about a month ago there were still leak came in the service report and they said it is different form the last one. They were saying they couldn’t find the exact point from where it is leaking and I had to take my car at 6 times and they said they fixed the problem, checked and its all ok now. I am the only drive of this car and I drove only 54K so far.

Issue is with the warranty running on, am I eligible to demand to change the engine? I have not much knowledge about car so I am not sure about how oil leak will harass me in future? I want upgrade the car and I believe with this problem I’ll not get a good price if I want t sell my car. If I demand to change engine is this will be right?

If anyone can help me that will be great.

androo
16-05-2012, 06:41 PM
It will be extremely difficult to get a new engine with just the above issues. I would be doing the following:

Contact Honda Australia with your concerns. See what they say. Often, a push from Honda Australia will get your dealer moving. You can advise them that you will be contacting the ACCC if they will not assist you in rectifying the issue.

I will doubt it will get to this point, but failing the above, you can contact the ACCC with a formal complaint and information and go from there. Technically speaking, if the issue existed prior to the warranty period expiring and it was in 'WIP' status prior to the warranty period ending, you will be covered until the issue is fixed. Still, it makes it MUCH easier while still in the warranty period.

Bludger
16-05-2012, 06:45 PM
Oil leaks are a maintenance issue. you drive, your car gets older and needs servicing. Fix the leaks as they come.

how did you acquire "give an inch, take a mile" mentality?

sensei_
16-05-2012, 06:51 PM
doubt you will get a new engine, and any mention of it on your end will only end in laughter on both honda and their dealer.

however, you are entitled to ensure that the problem is fixed (if it is a manufacturing problem and not maintenance related). it is good that you brought it up before the warranty so at least you have a record of it. but keep pushing at it until you have the problem solved.

Bludger
16-05-2012, 07:01 PM
I don't understand how a honda service department took 6 visits to find the leak.

Mikecivic78
16-05-2012, 08:25 PM
sounds like a badly-run dealership.

It shouldn't be leaking oil if he's only done 54,000 km. That in itself sounds dubious.

I say pursue it, get the dealership's manager's email and put your concerns in writing. That way you can express yourself better than complaining in person and you will also have a record of it. You can use Honda Aus as a threat I guess lol, be polite but firm

Artie
16-05-2012, 10:25 PM
Contact Honda Australia with your concerns. See what they say. Often, a push from Honda Australia will get your dealer moving. You can advise them that you will be contacting the ACCC if they will not assist you in rectifying the issue.

Honda Australia are not well known for being very helpful with after sales matters. Good luck there!!!!!

You will never get a new engine as a warranty solution for fixing an oil leak. If the leak is diagnosed correctly there is no reason that it can't be repaired correctly. If the repair isn't done correctly it will almost certainly show signs of leaking again immediately in which case it won't be long before you start to see oil on the driveway again. If it's repaired properly and showing no signs of leaking after say 1000km, you can consider it fixed and need not worry. In any case, it might be worth getting an end of warranty inspection done on the car in November.

Oil leaks ARE a warranty issue (not a new engine issue though). Even if your car runs out of warranty soon after a dealership repair, and that repair hasn't fixed the issue, you are still within your rights to have it properly repaired under the warranty.

Cheers
Artie.