PDA

View Full Version : CU2 paint so soft and thin.

BigBen
16-05-2012, 05:50 PM
Anyone who has a CU2 notice how soft and thin the paint is? Also people with black or graphite colour car notice the orange peel effect from the factory paint. I might look at wet sanding, but I need to borrow a paint thickness meter before I do any wet sanding.

I've got a couple of stone chips on the front air dam and one on the chrome grill of only 1500km of driving. That really sucks.

I've got the graphite colour so any stone chips are quite noticeable.

I specifically ask the Honda dealer at my 1000km service NOT to wash my car. An hour later, yep you guest it. Car was wash and had light swirls marks on the paint. Damn it!! I gave them an earful thou.

Looks like I'll be removing the swirls this weekend.

Tai
16-05-2012, 05:53 PM
Yeah paint quality on the current model accords obtain scratches so easily.

BigBen
16-05-2012, 05:56 PM
tap on that large back window and its freak thin. Lucky I have a free window replacement every year on my insurance cover.

androo
16-05-2012, 06:33 PM
This seem to be apparent on all new Honda's unfortunately, not just the CU2...

Fredoops
16-05-2012, 06:54 PM
cut costs my son.

just be grateful you didnt get the (in)famous milano red

Bludger
16-05-2012, 07:14 PM
cut costs my son.

just be grateful you didnt get the (in)famous milano red
look here mate, nothing wrong with it

mocchi
16-05-2012, 07:18 PM
Anyone who has a CU2 notice how soft and thin the paint is? Also people with black or graphite colour car notice the orange peel effect from the factory paint. I might look at wet sanding, but I need to borrow a paint thickness meter before I do any wet sanding.

I've got a couple of stone chips on the front air dam and one on the chrome grill of only 1500km of driving. That really sucks.

I've got the graphite colour so any stone chips are quite noticeable.

I specifically ask the Honda dealer at my 1000km service NOT to wash my car. An hour later, yep you guest it. Car was wash and had light swirls marks on the paint. Damn it!! I gave them an earful thou.

Looks like I'll be removing the swirls this weekend.

i was just wondering, can you actually know how much clear left using the paint thickness meter?
i thought it measures total paint thickness from metal

Fredoops
16-05-2012, 07:30 PM
look here mate, nothing wrong with it

the milano red thing goes back years.

I remember there was a class action of some sort in UK about the red... seems that the Europeans have particular problem with that shade of red.

BigBen
16-05-2012, 09:26 PM
I'll be happy with 120 microns or more then I can lightly do some wet sanding. If I find its 100 microns or less I'll just live with it for a couple of years and resell the car.

EKVTIR-T
16-05-2012, 09:33 PM
Toyota has some of the best and most consistent car paint

ChaosMaster
16-05-2012, 10:01 PM
It's also why they offer paint protection when you buy the car, it's another way they make more money. Unfortunately, Honda's reputation for quality keeps going backwards.

Fredoops
17-05-2012, 12:00 AM
It's also why they offer paint protection when you buy the car, it's another way they make more money. Unfortunately, Honda's reputation for quality keeps going backwards.
well the paint is nothing new, but the cost cutting is evident. but then again, all manufacturers do that

redseven
20-05-2012, 10:19 PM
I'm not sure if it's a cost-cutting drive or a shift towards thinner water-based paints. My graphite CU2's paint looks pretty smooth with just a few orange peel spots. Plenty of swirls though, thanks to the washing boys at the local Honda dealership :(

I know Fiat/Alfa also had a problem with their flat red paint a few years ago. They had to remove it from the options list because it faded quickly and unevenly, and they ended up making a new deeper red that was more durable. The 8C's gorgeous multilayered purple-red-crimson paint is also an expensive option on the new Giulietta... wish Honda had something similar.