PDA

View Full Version : Get new rims first or get coilovers?

kelvinator124
16-05-2012, 06:08 PM
Hi guys just want some advice on getting rims or coilovers first, another question will i have to stretch my tyres or do something if i get rota g force rims which are 18 x 8.5" E35+ pcd 5 x 114.3??

Bludger
16-05-2012, 06:10 PM
I would spend that money on some doof doof and custom vinyl flames along the side.

Tai
16-05-2012, 06:17 PM
Get rims first, because if you install the coilovers and then get wheels after you will have to re-adjust the coilovers again to match the height from the new wheels

BigBen
16-05-2012, 06:18 PM
Get 19" or 20" wheels. The CU comes with 17" and 18" as standard rims. Don't bother going with aftermarket 18" wheels as they will look too small once you lower it.

Ask your insurance company about fitting wheels and coilovers before you buy them as technically in NSW anyway coilovers are illegal.

CRXDEL501
16-05-2012, 06:39 PM
I would spend that money on some doof doof and custom vinyl flames along the side.

Agreed

Money spent on a hectic sub is well spent

Cosmetics > performance

jzx_andy
16-05-2012, 06:53 PM
coilovers.....

also rota g force on a CU2 = :s

Rudy
16-05-2012, 09:22 PM
Coils for sure

kelvinator124
16-05-2012, 09:41 PM
ohhhh wow i didnt noe it was illegal...... welll i was original thinking of putting ultrex rs ir advan rs or ce28ns lol

kelvinator124
16-05-2012, 09:45 PM
Get 19" or 20" wheels. The CU comes with 17" and 18" as standard rims. Don't bother going with aftermarket 18" wheels as they will look too small once you lower it.

Ask your insurance company about fitting wheels and coilovers before you buy them as technically in NSW anyway coilovers are illegal.
The only thing is if get lower springs, apparently it affects the shocks and then i have to change the shocks also.... that combined price equals a set of coilovers lol thats why im worried lol..

EKVTIR-T
16-05-2012, 09:48 PM
Coilovers first,then once you get wheels if you need to adjust to suit

Wheels first at stock height will be fail

kelvinator124
16-05-2012, 09:56 PM
also i searched rta and it said

"Besides assuring a comfor table ride, a vehicle’s suspension system controls wheel movement for handling and road
holding. Manufacturers conduct extensive test programs to develop suitable suspension settings. Adjustments, such
as lowering the vehicle, can upset the suspension characteristics and cause unpredictable handling. Generally, roll
stabilizer bars, axle locating rods, upgraded shock absorbers or upgraded springs may be used provided they are
suitable for the vehicle and are properly fitted. However, the following suspension modifications are not acceptable:
„ -Welding forged components such as stub axles or control arms.
„ -Fitting longer, non-standard shackles to leaf springs.
„ -Fitting any additional components or altering the suspension so that the wheels or tyres may contact any
component under the full range of suspension and steering travel.
„ -Fitting any additional components or altering the suspension ride height so that any par t of the vehicle other
than a wheel or tyre can contact the road in the event of a tyre deflation.
-If major changes to the suspension (such as substitution of a non standard front cross member) are carried out, they
should be done under the strict guidance of an engineering signatory."

ChaosMaster
16-05-2012, 09:59 PM
I went rims first. Makes it easier to decide how low and firm you're willing to compromise afterwards. As for tyre stretch, you don't have to get it, just grab wider tyres, although they will cost more. If your concerned about that, then get 8" width.

TRaNz
16-05-2012, 10:59 PM

LOL, and sum neonz

coilovers.....

also rota g force on a CU2 = :s

Yeah, Coilovers +1
and Rotas -111111111111111111

euRo_noob
17-05-2012, 12:26 AM
I would say no to Rota's.. especially on a CU2.

Coils first for me too. I went coils first.. Rolled on my stock wheels for about 6-7 months before I got my wheels and no, you won't need to run stretched tyres with those specs. Just get wider wheels.

EKVTIR-T
17-05-2012, 12:29 AM
Euro driver - dont get Rotas coz cheap and fake
buy BC coilover made in taiwan

http://www.9kracing.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/CUUQF.gif

euRo_noob
17-05-2012, 12:33 AM
Euro driver - dont get Rotas coz cheap and fake
buy BC coilover made in taiwan

http://www.9kracing.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/CUUQF.gif

I didn't have a wide range really to pick for my coils.. I wanted something that'd go really low and yes, I didn't do enough research or know as much as I know today but I'll upgrade when I can lol. BC's are working fine for now, would you have any other suggestions? I didn't go Tein because some say it didn't go low enough (Jason....)

EKVTIR-T
17-05-2012, 12:36 AM
Yeah wasnt aimed directly at you,just seems contradictory thats all :)

Whatever works I guess :thumbsup:

euRo_noob
17-05-2012, 12:41 AM
Nah all good, I know I rushed things last year because I was just excited to mod my first car and pretty much didn't know anything about wheels, offsets, coilovers, dampers etc so yeah.

I didn't even know I was contradicting myself that much as I thought BC BR were 'decent' as many people ran them and it was a known brand when I bought them. I'll invest in better coils in the future but for now, BC's will suffice.

P.S. your avatar tripped me out lol.

TRaNz
17-05-2012, 01:26 AM
I didn't have a wide range really to pick for my coils.. I wanted something that'd go really low and yes, I didn't do enough research or know as much as I know today but I'll upgrade when I can lol. BC's are working fine for now, would you have any other suggestions? I didn't go Tein because some say it didn't go low enough (Jason....)

wat? Teins dont go low enough, had to get extra custom tein springs made for the coils to get moar lowz.....even now, still not low enough......stop hatin on me man....aiiyahhh

euRo_noob
17-05-2012, 09:05 AM
LOL!! Just saying you told me Tein's don't go low enough :P

And as if not low enough, you're almost on the ground... Anymore and you'll be cleaning the streets.

senna
17-05-2012, 09:09 AM
euro driver - dont get rotas coz cheap and fake
buy bc coilover made in taiwan

http://www.9kracing.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/cuuqf.gif

lolol

kelvinator124
17-05-2012, 05:40 PM
Nah all good, I know I rushed things last year because I was just excited to mod my first car and pretty much didn't know anything about wheels, offsets, coilovers, dampers etc so yeah.

I didn't even know I was contradicting myself that much as I thought BC BR were 'decent' as many people ran them and it was a known brand when I bought them. I'll invest in better coils in the future but for now, BC's will suffice.

P.S. your avatar tripped me out lol.

Hey euro_ noob how much were the bc coilovers and also how much did u drop?? Pm pls thnx

Cheers

MingZai
17-05-2012, 06:36 PM
please dont go rotas...

and theres nothing wrong with BC

Your comparing fake rims to coilovers which are cheaper then JDM brands but do the same job... I dont get it... if the price is low doesnt make. make it crap.

My mates STI runs om BC coilovers and nothing wrong with them...

Fredoops
18-05-2012, 12:37 AM
please dont go rotas...

Your comparing fake rims to coilovers which are cheaper then JDM brands but do the same job... I dont get it... if the price is low doesnt make. make it crap.

What's common is that they both rip-off/reverse engineer other people's designs.

iirc BC started out by copying Buddyclub coils (or some one else JDM... Cant remember) back in the day.

Then other manufacturers started to copy BC, your D2/Megan/Ksport etc.

Ps: do you know that BC Racing (Bor-chuann) makes forged alloy wheels?? Which rips off designs from Advan, HRE and Rotiform. How is that different from ROTA?!

senna
18-05-2012, 09:15 AM
please dont go rotas...

This is the most hypocritical thing i've ever heard! LOL

So if BC is a copy of another design, but it does a reasonable job then it's ok, but if Rota is a copy of another brand and it does an ok job, thats not cool because its a wheel?

Fredoops
18-05-2012, 09:35 AM

So if BC is a copy of another design, but it does a reasonable job then it's ok, but if Rota is a copy of another brand and it does an ok job, thats not cool because its a wheel?

Not to mention BC-racing also makes rip off wheels!!!!!
Just like rota

MingZai
19-05-2012, 10:35 AM

So is BC a copy of another design? I didn't really know that actually if it is I take that back then. Well then for rims we look at the functionality + visual appearance correct whereas coilovers... what can you copy? Visual appearance ? Noone can see what it looks like once it's in the car.

If BC Coilovers are a copy may I ask what is it a copy of? Evidence? (Just curious that's all). Even if they are probably a patent or two but isn't design / looks what most people care about anyway for rims.
What sounds worse?
That Nissan R35 GTR is running on BC Coilovers

or

That Nissan R35 GTR is running on ROTAS

I think majority of people would think the second option would get the worst reaction.

I don't know maybe I'm wrong but that's just my opinion anyway.

Not to mention BC-racing also makes rip off wheels!!!!!
Just like rota

Oh really haha well atm we are talking about the products anyway :p not the company itself xD

Fredoops
19-05-2012, 11:01 AM
Oh really haha well atm we are talking about the products anyway :p not the company itself xD
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-CvudXaiCeKk/T1aV7kJSB2I/AAAAAAAADQE/M24nMEczXBE/s1600/jackie-chan-wtf.png

By your logic its okay to have a ripoff as long as no one can see it?! Wtf?

A ripoff company is a ripoff company full stop.

white_ep3_civic
19-05-2012, 12:21 PM
Defiantly lower first. I made this mistake with 20's and the car looked like a monster truck lol. My mates have all run BC Coilovers in their cars and I have driven them and can't fault them at all.

08r3308
19-05-2012, 01:07 PM
there is nothing wrong with bc , have plenty of mates run them without issue . v1 , br all fine .
I run v1 in mine and i must say wait for them was well worth it , more comfy than my stock shock and eibach pro kit was.

But to answer your question coil overs first then once you are ready for wheel you can adjust up or down to your liking

marquee
19-05-2012, 01:42 PM
Coils then rims. But don't dump it on stock wheels

MingZai
19-05-2012, 01:57 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-CvudXaiCeKk/T1aV7kJSB2I/AAAAAAAADQE/M24nMEczXBE/s1600/jackie-chan-wtf.png

By your logic its okay to have a ripoff as long as no one can see it?! Wtf?

A ripoff company is a ripoff company full stop.

No that's not my logic... I'm asking which part of the coilover is BC Ripping off?
Someone made a comment about ohh lol its okay to get bc but not rotas..

My point is they aren't the same freaking thing.

I don't give a crap if the company is a rip off company as it doesn't mean all their products are rip offs. Have a look at Seibon and Carbon Plus ect. Yes I might not purchase a "Spoon" styled Carbon Bonnet but I might purchase a Carbon bonnet styled by them. Do you catch my drift?

I can't believe your actually comparing ROTAS to BC Coilovers... two different things.

They have no relation to each other whatsoever... Coilovers are coilovers... but rims are designed and sought for their looks... People only buy specific rims for two reasons... Main reason is look and second maybe weight if your into time attack ect.

Defiantly lower first. I made this mistake with 20's and the car looked like a monster truck lol. My mates have all run BC Coilovers in their cars and I have driven them and can't fault them at all.

Yup, My mate's STI goes to the track all the time, hill climbs ect everything not one fault. Hes go the top of the range BC Coilovers though...

there is nothing wrong with bc , have plenty of mates run them without issue . v1 , br all fine .
I run v1 in mine and i must say wait for them was well worth it , more comfy than my stock shock and eibach pro kit was.

But to answer your question coil overs first then once you are ready for wheel you can adjust up or down to your liking

+1

08r3308
19-05-2012, 02:31 PM
Bc have been proven. Every product will have bad batch or 2 but bc has been getting good wrap up on every single forum

EKVTIR-T
19-05-2012, 03:53 PM
I had to laugh at
Hes go the top of the range BC Coilovers though...

Thats like saying you bought the top of the range GreatWall car.Its still disposable crap

gen2 CRX
19-05-2012, 04:01 PM
Forget about wheels and coilovers you need to get bodykits first thing

Tai
19-05-2012, 04:02 PM
Rota wheels known to crack or snap upon driving.

EKVTIR-T
19-05-2012, 04:09 PM
I won't be trying them to see if this happens even if all of OzHonda buys them

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg839/scaled.php?server=839&filename=fpdbp.jpg&res=landing
http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg850/scaled.php?server=850&filename=attachmentdiy.jpg&res=landing

Each to their own as they say

euRo_noob
19-05-2012, 04:35 PM
o_o this turned into a massive debate.

Didn't mean to cause it lol. I just didn't know BC were a copy cat brand. Last years I just heard they were pretty decent and it was a choice between Tein and BC. I thought both brands were equal but I guess they're not.

Point is, I thought BC's were good. I didn't know they were a 'crappy brand'.

senna
19-05-2012, 04:46 PM
BC copied the buddy club design when the manufacturing went to Taiwan. They use inferior components for seals and bearings. The damper is generally one size fits all too.

EKVTIR-T
19-05-2012, 04:49 PM
BC copied the buddy club design when the manufacturing went to Taiwan. They use inferior components for seals and bearings. The damper is generally one size fits all too.

Is Buddy Club made by Bor-Chuann or some other taiwanese factory?

senna
19-05-2012, 05:04 PM
Now you see how deep the rabbit hole really goes...

I have looked at so many coilovers, they all run the same core units. I believe buddy club still has their own design and valving development though

Fredoops
19-05-2012, 05:15 PM

Didn't mean to cause it lol. I just didn't know BC were a copy cat brand. Last years I just heard they were pretty decent and it was a choice between Tein and BC. I thought both brands were equal but I guess they're not.

http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2011/4/5/d12a2ff9-5ebe-4f13-b8d3-dac9c2fc8d24.jpg

Rota wheels known to crack or snap upon driving.
So's Enkei RPF1's.... Emo Cai's....
http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/1968/motivator7896604pr6.jpg

THIS is what a good wheel should do upon *OH FUCJK* moments.
http://danavon7.home.comcast.net/~danavon7/bend2.jpg

MingZai
19-05-2012, 06:09 PM
I had to laugh at

Thats like saying you bought the top of the range GreatWall car.Its still disposable crap

And have you had your experience?

This is exactly what I'm talking about... My mate spent over 3 grand on his K&W Suspension, I have HKS on my Evo 7 RS, Teins Flex on the old Evo but the ride quality on the BC is still as good.

Disposable crap... having been on the track over 6 times and everything not one single problem with the BC's.

Maybe in the past they had a bad batch or two but now you see nothing but good comments apart from the odd one or two.

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg839/scaled.php?server=839&filename=fpdbp.jpg&res=landing
http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg850/scaled.php?server=850&filename=attachmentdiy.jpg&res=landing

You can find a broken product for any kind of product in the world. There's always got to be a bad egg in the batch.

Neither did I, but Tein would always be higher then BC imho.

That's good to know, you learn something new every day :). But arn't all suspension now days, spoon, J's Racing, Teins similar if not the same design.

http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2011/4/5/d12a2ff9-5ebe-4f13-b8d3-dac9c2fc8d24.jpg

So's Enkei RPF1's.... Emo Cai's....
http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/1968/motivator7896604pr6.jpg

THIS is what a good wheel should do upon *OH FUCJK* moments.
http://danavon7.home.comcast.net/~danavon7/bend2.jpg

+1 Rota's will always be crap....

Fredoops
19-05-2012, 07:55 PM
...But arn't all suspension now days, spoon, J's Racing, Teins similar if not the same design.
By your logic, all rims should be the same, its just a metal circle with a few bloody spokes.

Look those coils may look all the same to you, doesn't mean they are the same design, a coilover is sooo much more complicated than a bloody rim, and when you are paying for a 2500-3000 H&R or KW coilover, you are paying for their design and R&D costs.

Since you work in a autoshop you should know better no?

+1 Rota's will always be crap....
I'm sorry your logic fails me again. (ps: The pics I shown are Geniune rays and Work CR-CAI)

Let me get this straight:
Company A: rips off other company's *complex* mechanical and exterior design, got a name that confuses people with a JDM brand, also makes ripoff wheels, Taiwanese = Good company
Company B: rips off other company's *simple* exterior design, doesn't have a "JDM" inspired name. Only makes replica wheels. Indonesian = *ALWAYS* crap

senna
19-05-2012, 08:17 PM
The one thing i will say for higher end coilovers is the range of adjustment that they can work at.

In my experience the lower end stuff is only good at a certain damping level - the valving is there to suit the spring rate, not necessarily the chassis set-up of the car with a specific spring rate designed to suit the chassis. Commonly you will find that the spring rate is specced to simply hold the car up and not let the shock bottom out. This is a high possibility on these coilovers since the body is so short there is only a small amount of travel, so if the spring rate is too low there is only a small poor quality bump stop as a token gesture of self preservation.

Higher end coilovers are designed to compliment the chassis setup on the car by matching spring rates to continue the dynamic, be it understeer or oversteer, just more controlled and responsive. The damper is then tuned to suit that spring rate while the adjustment increases the action of the damper and when its done right there is a large range with definite steps between the settings. Bilstein coilovers are probably the best at this for a street car. They have 10 settings and soft is touring comfort while hard is race track ready.

I honestly wish i had a demo car in every state - could open so many eyes to what real high quality suspension should be. Harder is not always better!

End diatribe....

TRaNz
20-05-2012, 12:37 AM

Oh mint, they released the new 3 piece coilovers......................LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL OLOLOLOL

pitiek
20-05-2012, 06:27 AM
By your logic, all rims should be the same, its just a metal circle with a few bloody spokes.

Look those coils may look all the same to you, doesn't mean they are the same design, a coilover is sooo much more complicated than a bloody rim, and when you are paying for a 2500-3000 H&R or KW coilover, you are paying for their design and R&D costs.

Since you work in a autoshop you should know better no?

I'm sorry your logic fails me again. (ps: The pics I shown are Geniune rays and Work CR-CAI)

Let me get this straight:
Company A: rips off other company's *complex* mechanical and exterior design, got a name that confuses people with a JDM brand, also makes ripoff wheels, Taiwanese = Good company
Company B: rips off other company's *simple* exterior design, doesn't have a "JDM" inspired name. Only makes replica wheels. Indonesian = *ALWAYS* crap

Aren't they made in the Philippines?

http://www.rotawheels.com/aboutus.shtml

Fredoops
20-05-2012, 12:36 PM
Aren't they made in the Philippines?

http://www.rotawheels.com/aboutus.shtml

Philly ur right. I have it stuck in my head with indo for some reason.

jzx_andy
21-05-2012, 08:38 PM
Why is everyone shitting on rotas? I didnt mean to stir everyone up with my previous post saying "rota g force on a CU2 = :s..." i meant it that they would look shit on a CU2. even if the owner bought legit advan RS, i would rather drive a CU2 with "copy" rims that look good over "legit" wheels.

Rotas are not fakes. Fakes are the rims you see on ebay with volk stickers etc, and those BBS replicas. Those are the wheels you should be weary of quality...

Sure i'd rather roll on a set of $3k volk TE37 but i dont have the money for that, i dont want 2nd hand wheels (because even if theyre volks they can be bent or cracked and its the risk you get with buying 2nd hand shit), i'm running stretched tyres and i do like 500km/week. The quality of rotas are most likely not as good as volks but they wont be breaking in daily driving conditions... if you hit a massive pothole with stretched tyres, you will **** your rims up, regardless if theyre expensive volk forged 1pc wheels, stockies, or fake wheels...

Some of you need to check your heads when you throw the word "fake" "copy" etc around. there are many wheels that share the same design.. Work VS-XX is similar to a specific BBS wheel.. work meister S1 is basically the same as a wheel that SSR offers... Rotiform TMB are basically the same design as Gotti wheels

Bludger
22-05-2012, 03:32 PM
Why is everyone shitting on rotas? I didnt mean to stir everyone up with my previous post saying "rota g force on a CU2 = :s..." i meant it that they would look shit on a CU2. even if the owner bought legit advan RS, i would rather drive a CU2 with "copy" rims that look good over "legit" wheels.

Rotas are not fakes. Fakes are the rims you see on ebay with volk stickers etc, and those BBS replicas. Those are the wheels you should be weary of quality...

Sure i'd rather roll on a set of $3k volk TE37 but i dont have the money for that, i dont want 2nd hand wheels (because even if theyre volks they can be bent or cracked and its the risk you get with buying 2nd hand shit), i'm running stretched tyres and i do like 500km/week. The quality of rotas are most likely not as good as volks but they wont be breaking in daily driving conditions... if you hit a massive pothole with stretched tyres, you will **** your rims up, regardless if theyre expensive volk forged 1pc wheels, stockies, or fake wheels...

Some of you need to check your heads when you throw the word "fake" "copy" etc around. there are many wheels that share the same design.. Work VS-XX is similar to a specific BBS wheel.. work meister S1 is basically the same as a wheel that SSR offers... Rotiform TMB are basically the same design as Gotti wheels
LOL'ed @ the highlighted.

not sure if troll or just clueless.

I agree with ppl that realise that realise they use crappy rotas and admit it, but trying to defend them, saying they're good is another thing.

integragsi96
22-05-2012, 04:15 PM
i thought that Tein Super streets were the only ADR approved legal coilovers you can have in Australia?
or is that only a QLD thing?

jzx_andy
22-05-2012, 04:33 PM

I agree with ppl that realise that realise they use crappy rotas and admit it, but trying to defend them, saying they're good is another thing.

Please show me where I said they are good. I own a set, theyre fine for the price, sizing and application. They're not crap, I've had no issues with mine, even daily driving with stretched tyres wrapped around them. Let me put it this way, all the clueless people here are saying that Rota's are fakes... how are they fake? Are they fake in the same respect as a fake armani suit you can get in Thailand? Or are they fake in this respect:

http://image.nengun.com/catalogue/original/nengun-2900-00-tanabe-ssr_professor_sp1.jpg
SSR SP1

http://www.workwheelsusa.com/media/wheels/29/84/colors/151.jpg
Work Meister S1

Yes there are slight differences between these two but they are pretty much the same.. Same goes if you compare a Rota Grid to a Volk TE37:

http://www.rays-msc.com/wheels/img/10-2-162127.jpg

http://www.q-garage.com/images/20100405-rota-grid-gold2.JPG

So which one is fake out of the first example then?

People need to stop hating on others for rolling on "fake" wheels, its the clueless ones buying wheels that don't fit/don't look good/aren't doing it right that deserve the hate.

End rant

Fredoops
22-05-2012, 10:15 PM

The point is, Rota and BC (Bor-chaunn) is kettle and pot. One of the same.

kelvinator124
25-05-2012, 05:33 PM
Wow thanks guys alot of advice, just one thing i want to put out is rotas are designed in strict environments and carefully manufactured, the fact that they are copying real brands is because not all people can afford legit brand wheels. But they are not crap. LOL

Symphorced
28-05-2012, 10:56 PM
Wow thanks guys alot of advice, just one thing i want to put out is rotas are designed in strict environments and carefully manufactured, the fact that they are copying real brands is because not all people can afford legit brand wheels. But they are not crap. LOL

http://www.johnnymaguire.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Confused-Cat.jpg

Fredoops
28-05-2012, 11:41 PM
http://www.johnnymaguire.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Confused-Cat.jpg

seen an xray of their cast, it's not bad tbh. no worse than some of the bottom range enkei casts

Rudy
29-05-2012, 05:40 PM
I heard not too long ago that Rota are JWL/VIA certified. Can someone confirm? IF that is true, they are definitely of acceptable quality (assuming their QC is up to par). Im not saying I would get them as I don't like ripoff design wheels, but just found that interesting.

Fredoops
29-05-2012, 06:12 PM
I heard not too long ago that Rota are JWL/VIA certified. Can someone confirm? IF that is true, they are definitely of acceptable quality (assuming their QC is up to par). Im not saying I would get them as I don't like ripoff design wheels, but just found that interesting.

They are jwl/via.

But as an OEM manufacturer for likes of Ford, Mitsubushi, Nissan and Toyota they have to be Jwl and Via.
I think only enkei is bigger than rota in terms of OEM manufacturing.

Rudy
29-05-2012, 06:32 PM
They are jwl/via.

But as an OEM manufacturer for likes of Ford, Mitsubushi, Nissan and Toyota they have to be Jwl and Via.
I think only enkei is bigger than rota in terms of OEM manufacturing.

interesting thanks!

Fredoops
29-05-2012, 07:36 PM
interesting thanks!

another interesting fact, Rota been making wheels since the 1970's, about as long as BBS, OZ racing, and SSR, they all started int he 1970's

Enkei Started in 1950

08r3308
29-05-2012, 07:37 PM
So now rota is good? What about bc?

Fredoops
29-05-2012, 07:39 PM
So now rota is good? What about bc?
Im not saying they are good. Technically they are very behind, they only make cast wheels, while other manufacturer had moved to spun rims/forge, MAT tech etc etc.

I wont rock Rota on my Car (because of the weight of their rims). but to have a blanket statement like "Rota will always be crap" while saying "BC is good". ------- just makes no sense, since they both have the same business model: "make OEM stuff (Contract manufacturing), then copy the techniques/design to make my own branded stuff."

They are kettle and pot: one of the same.

PS: you know whats funny? 20 or 30 years ago our fathers/grand fathers probably had the same argument.... Something like "SSR is a BBS rip off!" "ENKEI Rips off OZ RACING!" etc etc etc.
Now we are doing the same shit.

Rudy
29-05-2012, 08:58 PM
See Fred, with those old mesh designs and the like, I don't know if anyone really even knows the origin. There is a lot of crossover with those designs over the years and even then, the real makers dont do exact replicas. There's always differences and they also contribute many unique designs themselves, whereas Rota design HQ consists of a guy copying and pasting templates from Volk.com. It's just slightly different imo.

08r3308
30-05-2012, 10:44 AM
I get you but my main point here is just because there was a faulty rota or bc pics on the net which we all can find of every brand does not make these brands bad. Even tein or enkei have failtures.

Its all forum talk and like everyone knows all of us will have perferences and different opinions on any brand.

It all comes down to preference

Im not saying they are good. Technically they are very behind, they only make cast wheels, while other manufacturer had moved to spun rims/forge, MAT tech etc etc.

I wont rock Rota on my Car (because of the weight of their rims). but to have a blanket statement like "Rota will always be crap" while saying "BC is good". ------- just makes no sense, since they both have the same business model: "make OEM stuff (Contract manufacturing), then copy the techniques/design to make my own branded stuff."

They are kettle and pot: one of the same.

PS: you know whats funny? 20 or 30 years ago our fathers/grand fathers probably had the same argument.... Something like "SSR is a BBS rip off!" "ENKEI Rips off OZ RACING!" etc etc etc.
Now we are doing the same shit.

curtis265
30-05-2012, 11:47 AM
guys - http://custompinoyrides.com/2012/03/question-on-durability-of-rota-wheels/

read it in whatever light you wish

Rudy
30-05-2012, 12:37 PM
guys - http://custompinoyrides.com/2012/03/question-on-durability-of-rota-wheels/

read it in whatever light you wish

Only skimmed, but customPINOYrides.com and one of their sponsors on the right is ROTA. Strong bias. But seriously, not a bad read.

The 'who copied who' at the bottom is interesting, but yeah its a little different when Rotas WHOLE aftermarket line is replicas and don't contribute ANY designs of their own.

TRaNz
30-05-2012, 01:08 PM
interesting read. Gonna sell my rare SSR anniversary edition rims and get some rotas. Probably be able to get 2 sets. Fabulous. =]

MingZai
30-05-2012, 01:41 PM
LMAO yup going to do the same with my TE37's LOL or should get my friend to sell his 9k ADV 1' then you could buy like ~15 sets :p

Rudy
30-05-2012, 06:47 PM
LMAO yup going to do the same with my TE37's LOL or should get my friend to sell his 9k ADV 1' then you could buy like ~15 sets :p

9k ADV1!? notsureifserious.gif arent those made in china?

Fredoops
30-05-2012, 07:39 PM
9k ADV1!? notsureifserious.gif arent those made in china?

If you are talking about "Advance One Wheels" then yeah, I was under the impression they are forged in China as well.

EDIT: scratch that. Advance One is made in the states, by MHT Wheels Inc.

ADV1 is NOT JWL/VIA certified as far as I could tell.

Indie
30-05-2012, 07:56 PM
i thought that Tein Super streets were the only ADR approved legal coilovers you can have in Australia?
or is that only a QLD thing?Can somebody confirm or deny this, please?

Fredoops
30-05-2012, 08:04 PM
Can somebody confirm or deny this, please?

Coils arent governed by ADR

you are getting it mixed up with Australian Vehicle Standards Rules (AVSR)

Rudy
30-05-2012, 08:12 PM
If you are talking about "Advance One Wheels" then yeah, I was under the impression they are forged in China as well.

EDIT: scratch that. Advance One is made in the states, by MHT Wheels Inc.

ADV1 is NOT JWL/VIA certified as far as I could tell.

Yeah the quality is very sub par on these imo from what Ive seen in person. Well that was the non forged version , which I think may be made in China...paint was like a spray can quality and back wasnt even painted. Still cost 3k! Power of social media I guess. At least Rota is properly priced and of a respectable quality.

Indie
30-05-2012, 08:27 PM
Coils arent governed by ADR

you are getting it mixed up with Australian Vehicle Standards Rules (AVSR)I'm not getting it mixed up with anything, it was somebody else who said it. I have no idea about any of it.

senna
30-05-2012, 09:59 PM
Every state is different really, but the general rule about suspension is that you can only have height adjustment from the spring seat and it cannot be adjustable by the driver. So no lower clevis bracket adjustment for legality