PDA

View Full Version : Does a standard EK4 have strut bar?

HyperZ
06-03-2005, 01:33 AM
Ek4 owners care to comment?

I just got yellow stickered for having one!

Blehz..:confused:

spoondc2
06-03-2005, 01:58 AM
Ek4 owners care to comment?

I just got yellow stickered for having one!

Blehz..:confused:

Yeah sure, stock front strut bar
anyway, what is the yellow sticker?

faijai
06-03-2005, 02:01 AM
canaried!!

SiR JDM
06-03-2005, 02:17 AM
lol you got canaried for a strut? which are stock? that is tight..

where are u from?

gelo
06-03-2005, 02:24 AM
yeah they are stock
are yellow stickers like defects?

|N|
06-03-2005, 03:55 AM
the came stock with EK4 and EM1...

EK9
06-03-2005, 03:58 AM
lol, that's retarded... yes they are stock! u got a case to fight buddy ;)

chaosmaker
06-03-2005, 08:34 AM
Why the hell do they get you defected anyway?

aimre
06-03-2005, 08:36 AM
is that the only thing they got you for?

z3lda
06-03-2005, 10:27 AM
lolol....probly got apexi stickers on the strut bar thats why. LOL

bennjamin
06-03-2005, 10:32 AM
BTW NO HONDA that i know of comes with a STRUT bar stock.

EK4 , EM1 , DC2 etc come with a CHASSIS brace stock .

It connects above the strut , to the body ( chassis) of the car. It is in place for extra body rigidity.

Look at this OEM dc2R item...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v189/Chiller/1696b3bd.jpg

A strut bar , bolts directly to the suspension strut tops.
JUST like this...:)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v104/bennjamin/DSC02784.jpg

MAYBE that is the problem lol....take a picture and we can then judge what the DEFECT is about.

Ben

SiR JDM
06-03-2005, 02:49 PM
Well... if its the stock black "chassis strut" that he was defected for, its still a joke!! Where are you from dude? I need to know which area to avoid now :P

Zdster
06-03-2005, 05:50 PM
Can someone explain to me why a strut bar of any shape or form would cause a defect by police? Why would a strut bar that sits over the two towers be any worse than any other kind?

bennjamin
06-03-2005, 05:56 PM
Can someone explain to me why a strut bar of any shape or form would cause a defect by police? Why would a strut bar that sits over the two towers be any worse than any other kind?

AFAIK , the only possible reason that such a mod ( or any mod actually ) could get you a defect - is because it isnt STOCK and thus isnt ADR approved. Technically- to get ANY modification to any car "legal", you need an engineers certificate.

It is silly tho ?!?

HyperZ
06-03-2005, 05:58 PM
Hey guys

No got defected for an open filter that was "lose" (OEM ITR filter with the box removed) and the strut bar, actually i used an OEM ITR Strut bar exactly like the one on bennjamins post, it still had the "Integra Type R" sticker on there :( ill get pics up for u guys later tonight.

Also im missing a CAT for my exhaust (which he didnt know about), but when i get down to the pits they'll check the whole lot u think? Anyone know where i can get a cheap one to pass the pits with?

I got defected minding my own biz in Willetton [WA] about 11pm fri night. I was about 150m awy from home when they pulled me over, worse of all i had permits for the mods but the paper was at home together with receipts for rego n stuff so i asked if i could just run down the road n get it from home to show them,but apparently it needs to be present in the car at all times... gave me a long lecture on car mods (on the side of the road)...e.g his commo has a v6, if he put a v8 in there without upgrading the brakes n stuff its dangerous & illegal thats why he needs to see my permits otherwise ill need to get it checked out @ the pits, bla bla bla...

HyperZ
06-03-2005, 06:25 PM
Yeah sure, stock front strut bar
anyway, what is the yellow sticker?

its a defect notice

HyperZ
06-03-2005, 06:26 PM
is that the only thing they got you for?

Nope, had an open air filter too which was OEM item, i just removed the box :(

HyperZ
06-03-2005, 06:27 PM
lolol....probly got apexi stickers on the strut bar thats why. LOL

It was "Integra Type R", which definitely gave it away.:(

Zdster
06-03-2005, 07:13 PM
AFAIK , the only possible reason that such a mod ( or any mod actually ) could get you a defect - is because it isnt STOCK and thus isnt ADR approved. Technically- to get ANY modification to any car "legal", you need an engineers certificate.

See, I find this interesting. An example (if I may) . . . lets say that I want to upgrade the wheels on my car. I am driving a civic with stock 14'x4 and want to go to say 15'x5 wheels (this is 'legal' considering that I am allowed to go an inch bigger). In this instance would I be required to get an engineers certificate to be 'legal'. If you speak to an insurance company they will tell you that as long as you comply with your local state authority (VicRoads in my case) that I am fine and VicRoads says as long as you comply with their rules you are fine. What does this all add up to/mean?

Sorry for the thread hijack (let me know if you want me to start another one).

bennjamin
06-03-2005, 08:01 PM
See, I find this interesting. An example (if I may) . . . lets say that I want to upgrade the wheels on my car. I am driving a civic with stock 14'x4 and want to go to say 15'x5 wheels (this is 'legal' considering that I am allowed to go an inch bigger). In this instance would I be required to get an engineers certificate to be 'legal'. If you speak to an insurance company they will tell you that as long as you comply with your local state authority (VicRoads in my case) that I am fine and VicRoads says as long as you comply with their rules you are fine. What does this all add up to/mean?

First of all - remember , that i did quote before

AFAIK ,...IE not the Exact rules!

In regards to all the mentioned rules etc what you say = questionable.
I personally think both the RTA , Insurance companies and law enforcement each have various lengths and rules when it comes to modifications - im sure the same "mod" woud have different biewpoitns from each of three before stated bodies.

Really...who knows for sure tho ? Each of the "big three" can be very kind and also very unfair so my point is - its luck lol.

Zdster
06-03-2005, 08:56 PM
Ah, Ok . . . now I got you. I guess what I don't really understand is that if it is a state law that must be adheared to and the rules are being adheared to by the cars owner, then why is an engineers report required? Is a report required just so that you can say that you are adhearing to regulations? (Just out of interest how much does a report from an engineer cost?)

z3lda
06-03-2005, 10:03 PM
wtf is AFAIK?

Chi
06-03-2005, 10:08 PM
As Far As i Know

HyperZ
07-03-2005, 01:24 PM

Well the cop did look at my rims, OEM ITR 16" Rims and didnt mention anything about those, but i did point out they were from Honda Factory as it has the red H in the middle so he let me off on that.

z3lda
07-03-2005, 02:23 PM
Well the cop did look at my rims, OEM ITR 16" Rims and didnt mention anything about those, but i did point out they were from Honda Factory as it has the red H in the middle so he let me off on that.

did u get the JDM 96-98 itr rims?

HyperZ
08-03-2005, 02:56 PM
did u get the JDM 96-98 itr rims?

yes why?

EK9
09-03-2005, 03:51 PM
eh?
jdm itr 96-98 wheels are 15", 4x114.3
jdm itr 99-00 wheels are 16", 5x114.3
so which one is it? cos neither will fit on ur car unless u got a conversion dun
just curious which one ya got :D

bennjamin
09-03-2005, 04:04 PM
i think the question has been answered...to the orioginalposter - any more issues about defects etc ?

HyperZ
10-03-2005, 12:49 PM
eh?
so which one is it? cos neither will fit on ur car unless u got a conversion dun

maybe it was off a late 98 / early 99 itr... ill get some pics up for u guys soon. its 16", 5 x 114.3.

*bennjamin edit * oi ! *

HyperZ
10-03-2005, 09:52 PM
eh?

This one :wave:

http://img221.exs.cx/img221/6586/dsc000622kx.jpg (http://www.imageshack.us/)

HyperZ
10-03-2005, 09:55 PM
Strut Bar that was defected :confused:

http://img221.exs.cx/img221/8315/dsc000633dn.jpg

My Canary :thumbdwn:

http://img152.exs.cx/img152/9306/dsc000656km.jpg

Mugen EK9
11-03-2005, 12:29 PM
HyperZ,
Im taking my car over the pits in a few hours.
The items u got defected for are all harassment bullshit by uneducated cops.
I have a full list of legal mods with me and i can tell you, you are fine.!
Did u get the cops badge numbers ?

ekslut
11-03-2005, 12:37 PM
Also im missing a CAT for my exhaust (which he didnt know about), but when i get down to the pits they'll check the whole lot u think? Anyone know where i can get a cheap one to pass the pits with?

If I was you I would be getting a CAT, just to be sure. Coz I know in Victoria, the fine is huge. Something like $5000 - $10,000 for not having one. In my opinion, its not worth the risk.

Mugen EK9
11-03-2005, 12:54 PM
They will fail you in 3 seconds with no cat bro !

HyperZ
12-03-2005, 12:29 AM
They will fail you in 3 seconds with no cat bro !

Just got a CAT installed, magnaflow @ genie..now when im half clutching the car (esp when reversing) it feels as if thers some metal klunking @ the back right corner of the car! argh :(... also noticed theres quite a bit of hissing sound with the high flow cat. Is that consistent with anyone's experiences with high flow cats?

HyperZ
12-03-2005, 12:30 AM
HyperZ,
Im taking my car over the pits in a few hours.
The items u got defected for are all harassment bullshit by uneducated cops.
I have a full list of legal mods with me and i can tell you, you are fine.!
Did u get the cops badge numbers ?

No i didnt unfortunately. How many chances do u get @ the pits if u fail the first time without paying more $$$ ?

Mugen EK9
14-03-2005, 03:39 PM
U pay another $35 ish each visit thereafter the first fail.
PM me and i'll help u out

HyperZ
14-03-2005, 06:29 PM
Got everything sorted out with Permits today. Thanks! :wave:

viperx
16-06-2005, 11:11 AM
in the dept planning and infrastructure there's a category called "stablise bars" that require no approval before doing this mod... but WTF is "stablise bar"?? a "stabliser (antiroll) bar"? or any bar that provides "stability" e.g. strut brace?

garett
16-06-2005, 05:20 PM
also you will find that when they examine a car for rd worthy ness they have a sensor which they hold at the tip which measures how much carbon monixide is coming out (which is what the catalyitic converter does).

legally (in vic not sure about other states) a policeman needs 3 un roadworthy items to deem your car un roadworthy, however say your car is mickey mouse perfect it doesnt take much for them to get you,
i have a friend who got done for
1) oiled pod filter ( which is understandable )
2) amplifier fuse which was under the bonnet ( the cop said it looked dodgey )
3) oil leak ( this particular car never leaked oil, and after we did some research to find that for the cops to get you for un roadworth for an oil leak the car has to drip oil the size of a 20c in under 1 minute, which is heaps )

so they found one legitimate item and made the rest up to get his car off the road.
i know another person who got done for his handbrake having too many clicks ie it goes up too high, however it works fine.

no one is safe from their car passing a test, when even standard items can be deemed un roadworthy

garett
16-06-2005, 05:22 PM
by the way your car looks awesome! :thumbsup:

Fr3aKi3
16-06-2005, 06:07 PM
i know another person who got done for his handbrake having too many clicks ie it goes up too high, however it works fine.

thats just ridiculous....

garett
16-06-2005, 08:59 PM
tell me about it... if the police want to find something they will!

Steer^Gimic
16-06-2005, 09:16 PM
how would you know garett.

Officer - "your car is unroadworthy son, pop your hood"
Garett - "Hey officer, how you doin"
Officer - "Oh! Im sorry Garett, i didnt know it was you, hows the family? Nice car! Hey, give me a call later, we'll catch up"
Garett - "Sure, thanks sweet heart"

the point im trying to get at ladies and gentlemen, is....well...iv forgotten.

but ill get back to you as soon as i remember.

HyperZ
16-06-2005, 09:31 PM
what an old thread to be resurrected :wave:

HyperZ
16-06-2005, 09:32 PM
by the way your car looks awesome! :thumbsup:

umm who me? thx! :thumbsup:

garett
17-06-2005, 10:36 AM
umm who me? thx! :thumbsup:

yeh you mate.

oh and jp, im not the only one to talk, i know you have head your issues with the cops but you have been let off pretty easy on some, like the time we were in the corolla and it had no lights, bald tires, brown number plates, half a steering wheel.

or the time you did a handbrake turn in the wet at 2am and spun out and a cop saw you and you pretended that you were scared and crying, and he let you off.

the trick fellas is to put on the water works, it has worked for me everytime!