PDA

View Full Version : Parts from NZ.

NECRO
20-05-2012, 02:38 PM
So its looking pretty likely I will be moving to Melbourne near the end of the year, and just have a couple of questions with regards to possibly sending or bringing some parts over with me to put on a car once I get there, and mainly just what the deal would be with/if there were any duties or cost the would have to be payed for "importing" the parts.
The parts will be for my own use if that makes any difference?
Firstly I can see a few ways of getting the parts there, so just after any info from anyone that has done this or similar or knows the legalities of it:

A) Small but costly items (ECU, FPR, LCA's, Camber kit, harness, steering wheel etc obviously not stock items) I could possibly bring with me on the flight, which would likely be the cheapest and possibly safest/quickest option, but would this be "taxed"? (require payment of GST or import duty etc or the Australian equivalent of) i'm guessing no? as they surely couldn't tax me on the clothes I bring with me or on my laptop or cell phone?

B) Send the same (smaller) items over in advance or get someone here to send them over once I arrive, again would this be "taxed"? According this site (http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page5653.asp) only if the goods exceed $1000 AUD, so a few small packages could be an option.

C) I/We will probably get afew larger "home" items shipped over via sea, and I could throw bigger parts (coilovers, headers, brakes etc) in with that, would this be "taxable"?

Any info would be much appreciated and I will possibly ring Australian customs and discuss it with them, but would be good to hear other people experiences?

Cheers

grifty
20-05-2012, 04:43 PM
Option C i think would be best, since ur gonna be getting a container to ship over your home items you might aswell ship over the larger items in it. Im not sure about the tax part but if you are going to be taxed they will tax everything.

u wanna ship some parts for me aswell :p

NightRyder
20-05-2012, 07:10 PM
Indeed put the heavy / large items in the 'home' container. Either way once it arrives it will be inspected by customs and quarantine. If you declare the parts are yours for your own use and not for sale as such, you should be ok and not taxed if the total does not 'appear' to exceed the AUD$1,000.

Btw, where abouts in NZ are you from?

IEVAQ8
20-05-2012, 08:17 PM
im pretty sure because u own the items and they havnt been purchased by u from NZ while u live here u wont pay tax...
does that make sense....??? lol

NECRO
21-05-2012, 07:02 AM
Yeah definitely going to look at throwing some bigger stuff in with any household items we send over, and yeah all the parts I would have owned for some time, but some would be unused so logic would say they shouldn't tax you on them, or they would have to tax everything you sent over in the container?
And i'm from Nelson.