PDA

View Full Version : Help on this item please...

getm_up
20-05-2012, 08:40 PM
i came across this item and was wondering why it bolted to the body and not the tower, is there any difference depending on where it bolts?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Cusco-Type-OS-front-strut-brace-Civic-EG-EK-inc-Type-R-/380259749981?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item58893f505d

just wanting to know some info on it, should i buy one that bolts to the tower or it bolting to the body will do the same job.
thanks

GU357
20-05-2012, 09:48 PM
difference will be minimal between the 2 types.

Basically a strut brace supports the area around the strut tower to stop the cornering forces deforming and twisting the engine bay. by holding the engine bay nice n straight it helps keep the wheels down.

whether its on the strut brace or near it depends on the design of the car.
if there's enough room around the tower it can go on-top if there's pre-made holes near it they can go there, and then it could just be design preference of that company.
On the Honda Jazz like mine it mounts to the body because the struts are mounted too close to the firewall so the bar is mounted just in front of them for clearance.

however the further it is away from the tower mounts the less effective it will be at holding the engine bay flat when the suspension is pushing up against the mounts.

But Cusco is a well established and competent manufacturer of suspension bits n pieces so im sure it would be fine.