PDA

View Full Version : [CL9] - Exhaust mods

afgmoh
21-05-2012, 11:12 PM
Hey guys just need an opinion, I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to this so don't hate haha, but I've always wanted a nice exhaust tune for my CL9 lux, only problem is I really don't want to change the WHOLE system as I'm not really after performance if that makes sense, just show really to be honest. Thoughts on this? Is it worth it? What are my options? And what have others done?
Is there a way to just change the tip instead for a good rumble? And what prices would I be looking at? lol. Sorry for ignorance or if people see this as plain stupid, which it probably is, but it's something I'm interested in haha

afgmoh
22-05-2012, 12:26 AM
incase MingZai sees this... your inbox is full, so I can't reply to you

supersaiyan
22-05-2012, 01:32 AM
grab a skunk2 exhaust on it, depending on your budget it costs about 1.5k for item, shipping, (they cut it in half while shipping so u need to) weld and installed (my friend done it recently).

heeltoeauto.com would be the website to get it from! goodluck ! :)

MingZai
22-05-2012, 01:44 AM
+ 1 to Skunk 2 ;)

cheapdouchebag
22-05-2012, 02:37 AM
if ur only after the sound, u might still get performance improvements with it. reason being, ur best bet is to go off to an exhaust shop and tell them what you want and they can recomend it to you. i had a friend who did a whole system one day installation into his euro for 1k. that being said, quality worksmanship and quality parts were used. a mixure of mild and stainless steel throughout the system including an 4-2-1 headers. when it comes to exhaust, myself i am not persuaded by brands as i know many exhaust shops do top jobs with their own bends.

i see that your in mornington, i would recomend you make a 20minute drive to dandy exhaust and tell them specifically what you want. they will give u knowledgeable info and prices are fair there. then decide what your going to do.
im guessing what they will tell you is to replace the mufflers.

but hey, im only guessing what they will say with the knowledge i know.

ChaosMaster
22-05-2012, 08:53 AM
If your just after looks, you could always just change the tips, or if you want a bit more noise, just the muffler. Would be cheapest option. If your not after performance, and are keeping the stock headers, then the bigger pipes that come with the exhuast systems wouldn't really benefit you.

afgmoh
22-05-2012, 10:41 AM
Oh okay, thanks for the help guys. Well yeah I have a few friends who say they can get me whole systems for around 600-700 used, which im not too fussed about, cos as long as its not rusted black and gives a good tune I'm quite happy. So changing the muffler would do the job you guys think? Which would most likely be the cheaper option as well lol :P
And in reply to 'cheapdouchebag' (no insult intended...) I'll definitely go pay them a visit cos I'm in Dandenong often, just off Cheltenham road I think right?
I know full exhaust systems are around 1k (I was originally going to get a whole mugen kit for the car, but I decided not to for other reasons) so I just thought i'd get some sound to keep me contempt, without having to do extra mods to get the full benefit of a proper exhaust system

cheapdouchebag
22-05-2012, 12:11 PM
useless spam: if i was going to be insulted by that i wouldnt of made my nickname that would i? haha

In regards to exhausts, lets call it EPA quality/class
Full exhaust system branded and seen by society as 'shit' - then its in the 1k price range
Full exhaust system branded and seen by society as 'sick' - then ur lookin 1.5k and onwards
Full exhaust local assembled and partially local fabricated - 700-1.2k brand new. <-- i firmly believe these are the best value for money in Australia. nothin wrong at all with them sometimes even better than branded ones.

not sure if anyone will agree on me, but this is my theory.

lets say for instance, u decide to pay 1.5k for example a popular brand exhaust system, and is mass produced.
heres the close up of non japanese quality welds
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m96/lmaoxfilip/IMS/IMG_2912.jpg
It is obvious these guys have welded the exhaust appropriatley and adequatley that will last 10's of years. it does look hand welded and the crutical spots have been adressed.

now lets say ur after a bigname japanese exhaust brand such as the hks silent hi power range, these will cost a bit more or alot more over than 1.5k depending on how these brands market it
heres the welding up close
http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/1/1426/141/3562570253_large.jpg

can you see the difference? the robotic precision of these jdm businesses is AAA grade.

now, with the 'local' exhaust shop ones. a reputiable shop will weld your exhaust together with the inbetween quality of the two above, and since there is no name in todays marketing world, its often cheaper than both of them.

my 2cents. hope it helps

ChaosMaster
22-05-2012, 05:40 PM
Depends on what kind of noise your looking at. Changing the muffler for a bigger one will give you more noise. Especially since the stock resonators built into the stock exhaust system don't do much. The thing is though, that if your not intending to grab headers, there's no need or benefit for paying for 3m worth of extra steel piping. The sound will be slightly different compared to getting a full exhaust, and if you go extremely cheap, you may get drone which may or may not be desirable (it's not, avoid it). I'm considering grabbing a my mufflers changed as well, just for the look factor. Prob get a silencer installed as well though, as I don't really want noise.

marquee
22-05-2012, 05:42 PM
Quality of steel, size, mufflers, etc all change sound. Your not after sound so what I would do is start with a cat back with good quality materials with a resonator. To keep costs down I would go 2.5" and single exhaust with a mixture of stainless and mild steel.

afgmoh
22-05-2012, 11:22 PM
Let's just say I don't want a noise as loud as those Holden wannabes who just stick on the loudest thing they can on their 40yr old lunchboxes. I just want a nice sound to grab attention, but not be so deep like a huge subwoofer.. if that makes any sense lol. Guess i'll give a few muffler/exhaust shops a call to get some feedback and advice. Cos all I really want is just a nice tune, anything similar to most Japanese exhaust systems which have a distinct tuner note to them haha :P

akjdfnn
23-05-2012, 07:14 PM
Shops like hks and such put alot of research into the exhaust systems the sell (trial/error, dyno testing etc, till they see results)..Some local shops may just weld up what they "rekon" will get the job done. When you buy from a supplier of mass produced items, there's a certain standard and guarantee of quality (not just build quality). So when u buy mass produced you have the choice of buying a product with proven, repeatable results.

cheapdouchebag
23-05-2012, 11:42 PM
HKS is one of them more premium brands so yes, u get what you pay for basically hks kits are well over the 1.5k margin to your door b4 installation.

I agree, some local shops will just weld what they '' ''rekon'' '' will get the job done, but its the reputable shops that will do the job properly and do it right. all im sayin is imo, places like dandy exhaust, reputable place and the price is fair is the best value for money in melbourne. of course you can always pay more for higher quality.

thats only my belief u can agree to disagree as well.

Fredoops
24-05-2012, 06:32 PM
Some of the cheap brands welding is pretty good as well
http://cms.skunk2.com/photo/g-139-c08fa869d5b97ca2bc2d99e70f860923066224d2.jpg

Sadly skill only makes up a part of the overall quality.

Those branded exhausts are TIG welded. While most exhaust shops only do MIG welding.
Tig weld is much higher in quality but much more expansive and it needs The metal to be 100% clean. For most small shops, it's simply not economical and/or impossible.

YaKoUbi
29-05-2012, 12:26 AM
I hear the fujitsubo (excuse my spelling) cat back system is one of the quieter set ups with the custom look of polished mufflers! Will be my next major mod!

xiang
29-05-2012, 08:30 PM
Here's a link to a thread Fredoops put together.

Have a look at the cheaper diy options.. might be something you're looking for

https://www.carexpert.com.au/car-news/freshened-honda-civic-type-r-arrives-in-october

YER801
30-05-2012, 09:09 AM
Does anyone know the sound differance between custom made and branded?

manolii
30-05-2012, 09:54 AM
Does anyone know the sound differance between custom made and branded?

Depends really, depends on the material, tip size, setup (resinators)

sertskiz
30-05-2012, 11:36 AM
I hear the fujitsubo (excuse my spelling) cat back system is one of the quieter set ups with the custom look of polished mufflers! Will be my next major mod!

+1 for fujitsubo, prob one of the better exhausts for quality, looks and performance.

Crapdaz
31-05-2012, 12:09 PM
^ as everyone has said,
Get a catback or just go to a muffler place to cut your stock mufflers off and reweld a more desirable muffler on should cost you 500 instead of 800+ for a catback.

Most jap branded exhausts are quiet until WOT

Stock exhaust is actually quiet good, only thing reducing performance is the stock cat, the extra resonator and the 10-15kg weight.

YaKoUbi
01-06-2012, 09:47 AM
Legalis r currently on special at heel toe plus the ozhonda coupon is $1253 delivered to melb!

Ando.L
01-06-2012, 10:24 AM
Legalis r currently on special at heel toe plus the ozhonda coupon is $1253 delivered to melb!

It says USDM fitment on the title? Does that affect anything for us?

Andy
01-06-2012, 10:32 AM

I don't think that price includes tax :(

Fredoops
01-06-2012, 10:42 AM
I don't think that price includes tax :(

If HT uses door to door express/courier shipping there will be no tax.

YaKoUbi
01-06-2012, 10:49 AM
apparently its the same... ive also heard that there is no tax under $1000 item price...

i dont think it'll be shipped via a container as it would take over 20 days to arrive...

Group buy guys save on freight!!!!!

white_ep3_civic
02-06-2012, 12:21 PM
If you don't want to pay to much just get the end mufflers changed shouldn't be that much. Just go to any exhaust shop and they can give you a quote on the spot.

YaKoUbi
02-06-2012, 03:29 PM
true! personally ill pay extra t ohave a tested and proven exhaust last thing u want is drone! plus the stainless mufflers look wicked!

MingZai
02-06-2012, 11:37 PM
If HT uses door to door express/courier shipping there will be no tax.

I swear false...

Anything over $900 you will get charged 10% regardless...

You only get exempt from the port charges / docking but the 10% tax is certainly there.

Fredoops
03-06-2012, 01:59 AM
I swear false...

Anything over $900 you will get charged 10% regardless...

You only get exempt from the port charges / docking but the 10% tax is certainly there.

1. The treshhold is $1000.
http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page5549.asp

2. Unless the purchase was from amazon, the smaller vendors use USPS or other postal service which does not contain an invoice and the item is marked private. I'm yet to find one lowly paid custom official bother to dig down and ask what the package was for.

MingZai
05-06-2012, 06:46 PM
My bad probably 1k but yeah you will get charged.

Black Euro
07-06-2012, 04:32 PM
Hey guys,

You wont get charged, don't worry, just send the seller (either HT Auto or whoever) an e-mail saying when they declare the cost of the product to write it below $500. I bought rims and coil overs from eBay US, both purchase price was above $1000 and i never paid one cent, because the seller declared the cost to be less than that. Sellers are usually really helpful with that stuff.

Cheers

ChaosMaster
07-06-2012, 05:44 PM
Hey guys,

You wont get charged, don't worry, just send the seller (either HT Auto or whoever) an e-mail saying when they declare the cost of the product to write it below $500. I bought rims and coil overs from eBay US, both purchase price was above $1000 and i never paid one cent, because the seller declared the cost to be less than that. Sellers are usually really helpful with that stuff.

Cheers

This. Nengun also has an option where you can decide how much you want to declare the item you've just purchased is worth (10, 50 or 100%). The only thing is that if you guys do decide to get insurance, it usually only covers the amount you've declared the item is worth so be careful about that.

afgmoh
10-07-2012, 01:06 AM
Okay guys, I'm really leaning towards just grabbing a whole skunk2 system...I just feel it has the most satisfying sound..but not for a while, but a little down the track.. Can someone tell me what i'll most likely need and how much roughly it'll all cost? (lol yes im a noob, I have no idea)

Also, out of curiosity, anyone know what exhaust might be on the black euro in this vid in the middle?
www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAhY_uzqBSE :P

aaronng
10-07-2012, 08:23 AM
Okay guys, I'm really leaning towards just grabbing a whole skunk2 system...I just feel it has the most satisfying sound..but not for a while, but a little down the track.. Can someone tell me what i'll most likely need and how much roughly it'll all cost? (lol yes im a noob, I have no idea)

Also, out of curiosity, anyone know what exhaust might be on the black euro in this vid in the middle?
Fitted a Skunk2 on a CL9 5 years ago. They were too loud......... and they drone.

ExpressCoffee
10-07-2012, 09:09 AM
Are the legalis expensive/decent? Or would a HKS be the best way to go?

Black Euro
10-07-2012, 09:20 AM

I think MingZai has one for sell, ask him and he could also tell you about pricing and sound.

Fredoops
10-07-2012, 01:02 PM
Are the legalis expensive/decent? Or would a HKS be the best way to go?

Try to find a HKS.... Think they were out of production years ago.

ExpressCoffee
10-07-2012, 03:08 PM
Try to find a HKS.... Think they were out of production years ago.

Oh that's gonna hurt me finding one. The Skunk2 one seems to be a more common-Ish one, are they too loud or are they decent?

manolii
11-07-2012, 12:38 PM
Oh that's gonna hurt me finding one. The Skunk2 one seems to be a more common-Ish one, are they too loud or are they decent?

Skunk2 are loud and have a nice tone to them, its a common setup so finding clips isnt to hard
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXVvrzyWl8I

afgmoh
11-07-2012, 02:47 PM
I do like the Skunk2... but now that people are saying they get drone im worried...

Does anyone know what the system is in this one? www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPKpsZotmwo
I'd love to have something similar to that.. I tried asking the guy so I'm waiting on a response from him :P

afgmoh
11-07-2012, 03:05 PM
This is starting to really get tough.. all I want is something that will sound awesome, but not deafen me whilst driving or cause too much headaches (drone).. Not to mention bad attention and problems involving the police..

Help meeeeeeee!! :( haha. Just want decent sound, I'm not after crazy loudness, just a nice tune. It's so hard choosing, everyone who reviewed the skunk2 says it really gets loud and gives them headaches

kristrifo
11-07-2012, 04:07 PM
im taking the poor mans option for now in my euro, removing the first resonator

once i get some cash im playing on toda headers + custom exhaust from xforce (i like their double loop mufflers since i want to keep noise [not sound] to a minimum)

Fredoops
11-07-2012, 06:18 PM
This is starting to really get tough.. all I want is something that will sound awesome, but not deafen me whilst driving or cause too much headaches (drone).. Not to mention bad attention and problems involving the police..

Help meeeeeeee!! :( haha. Just want decent sound, I'm not after crazy loudness, just a nice tune. It's so hard choosing, everyone who reviewed the skunk2 says it really gets loud and gives them headaches

Comptech (deep rumble)
Or
Legis R (like above)

manolii
11-07-2012, 06:19 PM

Get a quote for custom made. It cost me $500 that included muffler resignator tips and installation. Doesnt drone at all, sounds awesome when i put my foot down

afgmoh
12-07-2012, 12:16 AM
manolii, where would you recommend getting a custom one done?

manolii
12-07-2012, 01:15 AM
manolii, where would you recommend getting a custom one done?

Cant help u there, im in brisbane not to familar with melbourne. someone else will have to help u out on that good luck :)

afgmoh
13-07-2012, 08:42 PM
Hmm... I'm so confused on what to do.. Never knew it was so hard to get a good sound without destroying my ears inside the cabin due to drone.
Someone correct me if im wrong, but the catback plays a huge role in drone? If this is true.. and the skunk2 has significant drone.. does that occur with the stock catback? and if its changed can it be limited?