PDA

View Full Version : Cancelling a new car purchase

denot
24-05-2012, 04:09 PM
Hi All,

I would like to ask a question regarding cancelling a purchase of a new car.

basically my wife bought a new car (not a honda) last weekend and the waiting period for the car she want to be avaialble on this particular dealer is 12 months (:o).

Then I browse around yesterday and found out that the car that she wants is available from different dealer (in stock no waiting list)

and since the cooling off period is passed, what cost do I need to consider , etc?

Thanks heaps for all of your help!

Cheers

Bludger
24-05-2012, 04:16 PM
read the signed contract.

lol

denot
24-05-2012, 04:20 PM
read the signed contract.

lol
I did, but there's nothing mention "cancellation" or "termination" after the cooling off period

Bludger
24-05-2012, 04:21 PM
I did, but there's nothing mention "cancellation" or "termination" after the cooling off period
normal people would ring the dealer.

ozhonda ppl will ask ozhonda.

denot
24-05-2012, 04:27 PM
normal people would ring the dealer.

ozhonda ppl will ask ozhonda.

I dont want to ask the dealer "hey mate, look I want to terminate my contract with you guys. How do I do that?"

If at the end we need to pay too much and decide to stay with this dealer, what kind of treatment do you think we'll get from them?

Thanks for your help btw.

Bludger
24-05-2012, 04:29 PM
I dont want to ask the dealer "hey mate, look I want to terminate my contract with you guys. How do I do that?"

If at the end we need to pay too much and decide to stay with this dealer, what kind of treatment do you think we'll get from them?

you could ring and ask anonymously

denot
24-05-2012, 04:33 PM
you could ring and ask anonymously

Thanks for your help

Fredoops
24-05-2012, 04:43 PM
Lol.....................

Volvo forums > OZH for helpfulness... Then again that forum is full of middle aged bolding lawyers.

senna
24-05-2012, 05:11 PM
Here's some info from experience, i used to work for a dealership.

Call them and tell them that you would like to cancel the contract. You have decided that 12 months wait is too long and the brand new car that you wanted will be a 1 year old model by that time.

Dealerships can swap their stock, so they should do a stock search and try to buy in the one you found at another dealer (unless that one is a registered demonstrator, in which case they cannot stock swap it). If they are not willing to do this then you can cancel your contract. They may request that they keep your deposit as a cancellation fee however this is fairly rare, there should be a cancellation clause on the contract.

IF you have any other questions feel free to ask :thumbsup:

NightKids
24-05-2012, 05:12 PM

bludger has a reputation beyond repute! So don't talk to him like that mate DU MA!!!

"hey mate, look I want to terminate my contract with you guys. How do I do that?" >>> that is exactly what you should be asking!

This aren't even a Honda so ur a blardy time waster!

xclusive_eg8
24-05-2012, 05:18 PM
could throw some drama at them. Family members died overseas etc, dont see why they would charge a cancelation fee then.. its basicly pride or money at this stage, your choice. This is why you shop around like crazy before hand

Indie
24-05-2012, 05:50 PM
Lol.....................

Volvo forums > OZH for helpfulness... Then again that forum is full of middle aged bolding lawyers."bolding"?

NeedVtec
24-05-2012, 05:52 PM
"bolding"?

hahahahahahahahahahahahha

Fredoops
24-05-2012, 06:19 PM
"bolding"?

A. Not O. IPhone fail.

denot
25-05-2012, 10:55 AM
HAhah thanks guys for the help. and my bad it was 12 weeks, not 12 months wait :p

I'll double check the contract last night and finally found the clause which says if I was the one who terminate the contract, then I need to pay $750 or 5% out of the selling price (which ever is greater). 5% of the selling price is around $1,700, so I think I might wait or negotiate with them to "mutually" terminate the contract (they did say that this sales is not doing any good for them as well, because by the time the car is here its already new financial year)

Oh, and thank senna with your advise. I will sure talk to the salesman and hear what they said. :)

NightKids
25-05-2012, 10:58 AM
HAhah thanks guys for the help. and my bad it was 12 weeks, not 12 months wait :p

I'll double check the contract last night and finally found the clause which says if I was the one who terminate the contract, then I need to pay $750 or 5% out of the selling price (which ever is greater). 5% of the selling price is around $1,700, so I think I might wait or negotiate with them to "mutually" terminate the contract (they did say that this sales is not doing any good for them as well, because by the time the car is here its already new financial year)

Oh, and thank senna with your advise. I will sure talk to the salesman and hear what they said. :)

What about Bludger? Doesn't he get a thank you?

denot
25-05-2012, 11:02 AM
What about Bludger? Doesn't he get a thank you?

I did say that to him... twice :cool:

mocchi
25-05-2012, 11:13 AM
A. Not O. IPhone fail.

Fredoops, is your name ryan?
btw good luck with all your endeavors denot

we wish you luck.

regards,
Duc

NightKids
25-05-2012, 11:13 AM
I did say that to him... twice :cool:

:cool:

mocchi
25-05-2012, 11:14 AM
:shade:

http://static2.ozhonda.com/forum/images/smilies/shade.gif

NightKids
25-05-2012, 11:14 AM
http://static2.ozhonda.com/forum/images/smilies/shade.gif

Lightning fast quoting skills.... lol

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/customavatars/avatar11984_21.gif

denot
25-05-2012, 11:15 AM
Cheers guys...

I'll keep you all informed (sorry if I actually bored you with this thread :p)

Anyway, its for my wife... if me, I'll spend the cash on another CU2 :)

senna
25-05-2012, 11:16 AM
No probs, let us know what his response is - most of them aren't fussed about 1 deal being cancelled, its not worth fighting for...

mocchi
25-05-2012, 11:18 AM
Cheers guys...

we wish her the best.

regards,

http://i.picasion.com/pic51/0c478a5b87102d3700fa683784d58838.gif

NightKids
25-05-2012, 11:18 AM
Cheers guys...

Get ur wife a Liberty GT y0! She'd be so happy you'll get more sexy time on week nights...

denot
25-05-2012, 11:54 AM
Get ur wife a Liberty GT y0! She'd be so happy you'll get more sexy time on week nights...

Nah mate... she fell in love with this car ever since it was released a couple years ago overseas... And she doesnt like big car (including my old CU2) -_-"

senna
25-05-2012, 11:55 AM
What car?

denot
25-05-2012, 11:56 AM
What car?

Chick car... a Veloster :)

senna
25-05-2012, 12:00 PM
Ah yeah, they've been really popular. Front looks good, i'm not sold on the back of it though...

chunky
25-05-2012, 12:06 PM
yeah front is pretty sexy but the rear is kinda err

curtis265
25-05-2012, 01:08 PM
velosters are nice! if u look at the front only...

i'd rather a CRZ if i want weird shit

Bludger
25-05-2012, 02:58 PM
updates?

denot
25-05-2012, 03:06 PM
ok updates...

The dealer willing to try to get the one on stock at the other dealership (after I explain to them that doing so will help them reach their sales target, etc) but the problem is that car is MY11 (end of 2011) but compliance January 2012 and has never been registered.

We've got green light from my wife and now the dealer is in the process of trying to grab it from the other dealer (including getting more info about the car e.g. KMs reading, condition, etc).

So if all went well, I should hear back from them later on today or early tomorrow.

Thanks All for the help and hopefully the decision that we make is a good one (go with MY11 rather than wait 12 weeks for MY12).

What do you guys think?

Bludger
25-05-2012, 03:06 PM
as long as you both are happy.

good luck.

denot
25-05-2012, 03:07 PM
as long as you both are happy.

good luck.

Cheers mate! I just have to bring a 3rd person who doesnt like veloster for inspection. otherwise wife and I might be too blind to find problem on the car :p

sensei_
25-05-2012, 03:19 PM
why no door on right hand side for passenger? :p:p

denot
25-05-2012, 03:26 PM
why no door on right hand side for passenger? :p:p

I kno eh... its already ok with 3 or 5 doors, but somehow they have to make it er... 4?

anyway, the worst thing is that you cant enter the right hand side from the driver door. Only one entrance for both passenger at the back which is the left side back door

senna
25-05-2012, 03:37 PM
ok updates...

The dealer willing to try to get the one on stock at the other dealership (after I explain to them that doing so will help them reach their sales target, etc) but the problem is that car is MY11 (end of 2011) but compliance January 2012 and has never been registered.

We've got green light from my wife and now the dealer is in the process of trying to grab it from the other dealer (including getting more info about the car e.g. KMs reading, condition, etc).

So if all went well, I should hear back from them later on today or early tomorrow.

Thanks All for the help and hopefully the decision that we make is a good one (go with MY11 rather than wait 12 weeks for MY12).

What do you guys think?

Was your original contract and price done on MY12 pricing or MY11?

If it WAS MY12 and now you are getting an MY11 you should also get MY11 pricing. The dealer will hate you if you bring it up, but hey, why should they get all the profit, they're already moving an extra unit this FY...

denot
25-05-2012, 03:39 PM
Was your original contract and price done on MY12 pricing or MY11?

If it WAS MY12 and now you are getting an MY11 you should also get MY11 pricing. The dealer will hate you if you bring it up, but hey, why should they get all the profit, they're already moving an extra unit this FY...

Yeah I was thinking of that as well... but the MY11 currently sell at similar (if not the same) price as MY12. And I did tried to haggle with the dealer and at the end of the day he said it comes down at either "you want the car now VS you want the MY12 car later"

Troy
25-05-2012, 03:47 PM
Just get MY12 version... only a few weeks wait

Bludger
25-05-2012, 03:48 PM
Just get MY12 version... only a few weeks wait
won't get discounts.

senna
25-05-2012, 03:48 PM
Yeah he's playing hard ball. If you and your wife are happy with the price you got initially then just be happy with that...

curtis265
25-05-2012, 03:49 PM
yeh fk it it's not the same product

i would wait personally. consider resale value down the line

what if MY11's are found to have a massive problem that was fixed in the MY12 model

Bludger
25-05-2012, 03:50 PM
yeh fk it it's not the same product

i would wait personally. consider resale value down the line

what if MY11's are found to have a massive problem that was fixed in the MY12 model
If i bought a brand new car, I would keep it long, so resale don't mean jack imo.

denot
25-05-2012, 03:52 PM

Yeah that is the first thing comes in mind... I've done some more research on this and didnt find anything (inlcuding those guys on Veloster.org forum)There is a problem on MY11, but is on the manual model, not the DCT. So I think this part is ok.

The only problem I could see (like everyone pointed out here) is the resale value... but my wife said she wants to keep it for a very long while (10+ years) and since they give 5 years Hyundai + 3 years dealer warranty and 6 years On-Road assist. I think its not a bad thing to do (keeping it for 10+ years)

curtis265
25-05-2012, 03:58 PM
Yeah that is the first thing comes in mind... I've done some more research on this and didnt find anything (inlcuding those guys on Veloster.org forum)There is a problem on MY11, but is on the manual model, not the DCT. So I think this part is ok.

The only problem I could see (like everyone pointed out here) is the resale value... but my wife said she wants to keep it for a very long while (10+ years) and since they give 5 years Hyundai + 3 years dealer warranty and 6 years On-Road assist. I think its not a bad thing to do (keeping it for 10+ years)

i suppose that's the only way to get the most value for money

As long as you're comfortable with your decision that's all that matters.

denot
25-05-2012, 04:00 PM
Yeah, from my point of view (I'm not the one whose gonna drive it), as long as the car doesnt have any problem then I wouldnt mine the MY11. Because if the car becomes PITA, then I will be the one who has to deal with it (e.g. claiming warranty and all that)

Bludger
25-05-2012, 04:01 PM
pita?

denot
25-05-2012, 04:02 PM
pita?
Pain In The Arseeee

chunky
27-05-2012, 01:04 PM

if youre getting one with the sunroof there have been cases of the sunroof exploding
i forgot why, maybe a chassis problem or something i cant remember, but it was raining glass down on the driver and passenger while they were driving
i read that on the veloster.org forums a couple months ago when i was doing research on it for myself. just something else to look into

Troy
28-05-2012, 09:34 AM
if youre getting one with the sunroof there have been cases of the sunroof exploding
i forgot why, maybe a chassis problem or something i cant remember, but it was raining glass down on the driver and passenger while they were driving
i read that on the veloster.org forums a couple months ago when i was doing research on it for myself. just something else to look into

Are you serious, that is ridiculous

denot
28-05-2012, 10:36 AM
Yup, have read about that http://www.veloster.org/forum/attachments/hyundai-veloster-general-discussion/2999d1328672391-sun-roof-exploded-sunroof1.jpg

But it seems only happens on the LHD model

curtis265
28-05-2012, 10:48 AM
exploding roof wtf!

denot
28-05-2012, 11:18 AM
And this one happens on Audi:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUFpDN37yfo

sensei_
28-05-2012, 01:33 PM
scary.... is this usually a common fault with sunroof?

denot
28-05-2012, 01:45 PM
scary.... is this usually a common fault with sunroof?

I've got 3 cars with sunroof, never happened to me (touch wood). I think the problem with "Tempered" glass is that it is a bit fragile if the temperature is too cold or too hot or change from one to the other in an instant...

curtis265
28-05-2012, 01:54 PM
I think the chassis doesn't alow for the glass's thermal expansion

a sunroof has a rubber seal around it so it wouldn't be under stress when it expands

denot
28-05-2012, 04:30 PM
Oh btw, an update on my situation...
We think we're going to wait for the MY12 to come down because the dealer said he will call us on Friday COB or Saturday before midday, but we haven't received any call. Then at 3:00pm yesterday we've decided to call them and they said they will call us back in 1 hour time to update the situation with the other dealer.

well, 1 hour and 1 day later... still no call from them. I've rang them back 15mins ago and the reception said that the particular salesman is with a customer, so she will forward my message to him. Still havent heard anything back from them.

So the reason why we will wait for the MY12 is not because of we thinking about the drop in resale value, etc. But because we have lost faith in the salesman and will not asked him to do anything out of what described on my original contract (just in case he'll do some dodgy thing and when we complain to them in the future he will say "oh because the contract is for the original car,blablabla).

Anyway, that where we are atm. Well keep on post some updates later :)