PDA

View Full Version : NSW NSW scrapping car registration stickers

akira
24-05-2012, 04:27 PM
Guys,

Found this article today:
http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/nsw-to-scrap-car-rego-stickers/story-e6frfku0-1226365721215

What do you guys think? Yay or nay to them abolishing this? Should VICRoads do the same?
For me, i dont think this makes much of a difference. The only inconvenience I see is having to peel off the outdated sticker and put the new one on. You'll still get the renewal by mail so if you forget to pay, the rego sticker isnt going to help because not many people look at it anyway.

Discuss.

ricerockets
25-05-2012, 04:53 AM
Adelaides done this for almost a year now iirc.

no difference in my opinion instead of a rego sticker on your windscreen its a piece of paper you keep in the glovebox

akira
29-05-2012, 01:37 PM
yeah so i guess its just a cost saving thing for them rather than helping forgetful drivers...

aaronng
29-05-2012, 06:39 PM
Bah, govt should be thinking of how to boost our dying economy, not wasting brain cells thinking whether or not to scrap the sticker. If they stop anyway, the sticker manufacturer will be forced to close and people will lose their jobs.

Cartoon
29-05-2012, 07:10 PM
Oh such an important decision for our road, rail and marine division ( they did all join yeah ? )

I can think of way more important things that need addressing.

akira
30-05-2012, 06:25 PM
i reckon they should do what UK does and offer money in exchange for old bombs so we can take these cars off the road. Especially when its not safe to drive!

sensei_
30-05-2012, 09:00 PM
the only problem is, mail can get lost in the mail more often than we like to think. if this is the case, then who is responsible for making sure the rego is up to date:

a) government by follow up
b) user even if they dont receive it

its a fine line, and there are arguements for both sides.

i say pass on the cost savings to motorists if they dont take the sticker, and charge people something like $1 for the option of a sticker.

that way you cover both bases people who can remember and dont want a sticker, and people who cant remember or share cars, and want a sticker.

ricerockets
31-05-2012, 01:48 AM
i just saw a news update tonight, reporting that since the government scrapped the stickers here in adelaide, about 7000 (not exactly sure atm) have been fined with driving an unregoed car

CrystalSkull
03-06-2012, 11:49 AM
i just saw a news update tonight, reporting that since the government scrapped the stickers here in adelaide, about 7000 (not exactly sure atm) have been fined with driving an unregoed car

Perhaps that means greater enforcement of registration by Police; Automatic Number Plate Recognition technology is impressive.

gen2 CRX
03-06-2012, 03:27 PM
good way to get some extra revenue then

sensei_
03-06-2012, 04:22 PM
winner on both fronts.

decrease cost for printing stickers
increase revenue for unlicensed cars.