PDA

View Full Version : spludering rexy sounding integra help plz!

funny_nealz
24-05-2012, 11:34 PM
hey everyone the last 2 days my integra has been having some major problems
i toped up the oil two days ago as it was very low then degreaser the engine a little to clean off small amounts of oil spilt and rinsed it off ever since then my even has been running like shit.

its lumpy on and off all the time and when it is lumpy when i accelerate or rev it sounds like a rexy. engine just spluters heaps which makes it sound like a rexy
car still drives but not well

i figured it could be water getting into the engine or topping up too much oil a decent amount of white/grey smoke comes out the exhaust druring idle and driving.

much help would be appreciated as im making the decidsion on this car will try everything myself to fix this if not then ill get a qoute from a mechanic and thats what will decide whether its worth keeping and keeping or not.

DarkAgent
24-05-2012, 11:40 PM
when i accelerate or rev it sounds like a rexy

Sounds like it would have something to do with the intake or exhaust. Check the airbox etc.

curtis265
24-05-2012, 11:45 PM
you have a dead piston ring. It needs to be rebuilt or junked

you're not going to be able to sell it in that state (for a good price)

nah jks, double check your ignition

.Dave
24-05-2012, 11:47 PM
id check you havent gotten water into the dizzy or spark plugs/leads etc, my old car had a similar problem, changed the leads and plugs and it was fine...

BennyH
25-05-2012, 12:17 AM
Yeah what Dave said you could've gotten water into spark plugs or dizzy. Do you remember spraying water around those areas? If so open up the dizzy cap and check if there's water there and pull out your spark plug leads see if there's water in the spark plug well and lead itself.

tiksie
25-05-2012, 12:38 AM
Turn on your engine somewhere dark.

Open the bonnet. Look for sparks escaping leads (Possible hitting the valve cover).

Anyway.

A leakdown test would be good, but no one ever has the correct tools to do this.

A compression test... Would be better than nothing.. Do you have a compression tester gauge ?

I'm not too sure why no one has suggested this yet.. Have you changed your spark plugs ? It sounds like you're running on 3 cylinders hence why your car sounds like a WRX.

But yes. Pull out your spark plugs and look at them. If they are grey, you're leaning out, if they're black, you're running rich. If they smell like coolant, then your head is gone.

Do this when the motor is cold (When a motor is warm, the headgasket tends to seal itself up if it's a small leak due to heat expansion.).

Check your ECU codes while you're at it.. But it just sounds like a typical ignition/spark issue.

Try using different leads while you're at it. It's pretty cold these days, so the smoke could look like anything.

Cliffs:

Remove and inspect spark plugs
Put new spark plugs in which are gapped correctly for your car
Try different leads
Do a compression test if you have a tester ($40~ at supercheap)
Check your coolant level and the colour of your coolant. Make sure it's bled correctly
Check under your radiator cap for signs of a blown headgasket (milky residue) or smells like exhaust fumes in your coolant
Check under your oil cap for milky residue

Start with the simple things. If you're not too sure, definitely don't touch the distributor as you might stuff around with the timing.

funny_nealz
25-05-2012, 12:38 AM
just pulled out the spark plugs now to check air level is a tad too much but out of four spark plugs
one has droplets of water on it the others were dry and yes i did degrease and rinse around the rocket cover

and if it was a piston ring how much would i be looking at ?
previously had work fixed withoring around sprak plug tubes head gast rocket cover seal replaced

tiksie
25-05-2012, 12:40 AM
Sounds like it would have something to do with the intake or exhaust. Check the airbox etc.

Nothing to do with intake or exhaust.

tiksie
25-05-2012, 12:42 AM
just pulled out the spark plugs now to check air level is a tad too much but out of four spark plugs
one has droplets of water on it the others were dry and yes i did degrease and rinse around the rocket cover

and if it was a piston ring how much would i be looking at ?
previously had work fixed withoring around sprak plug tubes head gast rocket cover seal replaced

Not worth ripping it apart to fix a ring. Might aswell do everything while you're at it.

While you're at that, might aswell replace the motor with another cheap gsi motor, they go for peanuts.

Drain you're oil and check it for signs of water.

funny_nealz
25-05-2012, 12:42 AM
did a small test the other night pulled each spark plug out one by one while car was running each one gave the car same reaction so im
pretty sure the spark plug leads are fine spark plugs leads and dsitributer are reasonably new

SLOBRO
25-05-2012, 12:50 AM
Hey u fixed it yet? if not just take off ur dizzy (distributor) CAP dry it with compressed air dry the inside of the dizzy make sure you don't crank the engine while the dizzy cap is off same with the leads and around the spark plugs see how it goes

cihanvtec
25-05-2012, 12:55 AM
had the same problem man. water in ur dizzy. either clean it out with an air compressor or let it sit or a few days. it'll dry up..

funny_nealz
05-06-2012, 01:01 AM
rexy spluttering has stopped still blows a small amount of smoke but just tonight the temp gauge went off its head straight to hot i turned the car off then it
went to middle then cold then half then quarter and then bak to full then bak to low quarter wtf is wrong with it?

bennet654
05-06-2012, 03:31 AM
Take to mechanic maybe

Evok
06-06-2012, 04:18 AM
Check colour of smoke and start working it from there.
How did rexy sound disappear? Let people know

funny_nealz
06-06-2012, 02:30 PM
Sexy sound just gradually disappearing less and less til it stopped and im just researching before i go to a mechanic like any person would....

ECU-MAN
06-06-2012, 03:31 PM
did a small test the other night pulled each spark plug out one by one while car was running each one gave the car same reaction so im
pretty sure the spark plug leads are fine spark plugs leads and dsitributer are reasonably new

this is the best way to blow your coil.

sounds like you had water in the dizzy, re the temp problem, your thermostat may be faulty

amant02
06-06-2012, 08:13 PM
this is the best way to blow your coil.

sounds like you had water in the dizzy, re the temp problem, your thermostat may be faulty

Wouldn;t the ecu spit out a error code for this? aka the check engine light comes on?

Lukey
06-06-2012, 08:36 PM
if you blow the coil in the dizzy, the car wont start/run so it wont throw a CEL.

the thermostat will just mean the car will either not get up to temperature or it will get to hot as it is stuck open or closed.

Lukey
06-06-2012, 08:40 PM
in regards to the sound and running like shit, having water down in the plugs/leads area will cause this, has happened to me plenty of times. only way to stop it is by drying the water out, but it sounds like it has evaporated for you. does it still run like shit? or does it run fine now?

funny_nealz
07-06-2012, 12:36 AM
car runs fine now just this weird moving temp gauge

IVTECI
07-06-2012, 12:51 AM
car runs fine now just this weird moving temp gauge

Could be a couple of things,

Temp sender/sensor could be faulty,

Temp gauge calibrations could be damaged/faulty

Or you may have loose/poor grounding on the engine/tranny.

Check the above bra.

bboyzell
07-06-2012, 09:30 AM
My B16a crx, has done a similar thing.

For me i belive its online getting in the chamber, or fuel saturating the chamber.

Trying and start it up and its extremely hard and wants to stall. i floor it so it sucks more air in and within about 10 seconds of reving at 3k its all normal again

TheSaint
07-06-2012, 10:38 AM
exact same problem here with a D16a8

i have cleaned out the dizzy, changed the plugs + leads, changed the injectors, calibrated TPS, cleaned everything out etc

i suspect a dead piston ring ... gona borrow a comp tester and find out