PDA

View Full Version : VIC Confusion about RWC

mattsrea
26-05-2012, 01:10 PM
Hey Ozhonda,

I'm just about to transfer my car over to Victoria (originally from NSW) and i went to Mekong Mechanics down at Springvale and they said that i'd have to put my stock springs and shocks back on as they are "too stiff". Then he says that if i want to leave it there, i'd require an engineering certificate. From my understanding you wouldn't need an engineering certificate unless your doing like a major modification (ie. engine swap or turbo). Can somebody guide me here?

The only mods i've done that affect RWC are

Suspension
- Koni SRT.T shocks (non adjustable)
- G.C Sleeves (Part no. 4530.01) adjusted to RWC requirements

Exterior
- 6000k HIDs

Anybody know anyone that will pass me on my suspension setup? Also does anybody know if VICROADS will do an extra check?
Thanks alot guys.

chauster
26-05-2012, 02:05 PM
They need to do a full check at vicroads I think when transferring to different state so the car basically has to be stock. Just change over your sussy and replace hid with halogen gloves. The mechanic is not wrong about engeriinig either. Stock sussy set you about 250$ maybe less if you can find it here.

euRo_noob
26-05-2012, 02:33 PM
It's pretty hard to find a dodgy RWC nowadays (from what people tell me, I've never gotten one because this is my first car) and places that do RWC are really strict because VicRoads became more anal. I doubt you'd find a place that will pass you without returning it back to stock.

I had to return everything back to stock too when I went for my RWC. It's a pain but they'll check everything. The place doing your RWC will take photos I think and send it to VicRoads. Well, that's what happened with me anyway and I went to K-Mart Auto Service.

At first, I thought the boss at K-Mart was just strict but he's just doing his job because in the end, if your car isn't actually road worthy, the place that gave you your RWC will get in trouble. As chau said, just replace everything back to stock, it's not that hard.

mattsrea
26-05-2012, 02:35 PM
They need to do a full check at vicroads I think when transferring to different state so the car basically has to be stock. Just change over your sussy and replace hid with halogen gloves. The mechanic is not wrong about engeriinig either. Stock sussy set you about 250$ maybe less if you can find it here.

Far thats so gay i swear. Well i got my stock springs and shocks as i felt that i'd need them in the future so i guess i was right. Do you have any idea on how much is it going to set me back all up? I'm pretty sure its just the suspensions his gotta put back on. I can put the globes back. Hope its not going to cost over 300 =\

chauster
26-05-2012, 02:59 PM
if you got the sussy just install them yourself. its not very hard. If you can build a copmuter you can put sussy on

namtaro
26-05-2012, 06:58 PM
ok matt, hope this helps.

basically get a rwc for the car. usually shocks and springs you can get away with most mechanics, aslong as your car is legal height. hids, most mechanics want you to remove that too. with the engineering certificate, sometime its required to run the sussy setup you have.

with vicroads, they dont look at your car. because all they do is check if your vin number and engine number match up. once you call vicroads, and everything matches up, you just need to bring in your plates, rwc, proof of purchase and id. and you pay for your new plates and stamp duty and they hand you new plates. because vicroads dont look at your car, some mechanics try to do you for alot to get a rwc. also because of the new taking photos they cant afford to lose their rwc license.

but like most say, best to make it stock, i recently regoed mine in vic from nsw a month ago and i had the car stock so i dont have to run into these issues.

dougie_504
26-05-2012, 07:04 PM
Where do you live? If you want you can swing round to my place and we'll do the suspension together. Couple of hours and done.

mattsrea
26-05-2012, 10:23 PM
if you got the sussy just install them yourself. its not very hard. If you can build a copmuter you can put sussy on

lol are you serious? Hmm well, i havent got much of "hands on" with cars like you guys so yeah. But to answer your statement, i can build a computer easily but i cant put them on lol. Dad was meant to help out but he never has time now. Online vids dont help much either lol

ok matt, hope this helps.

basically get a rwc for the car. usually shocks and springs you can get away with most mechanics, aslong as your car is legal height. hids, most mechanics want you to remove that too. with the engineering certificate, sometime its required to run the sussy setup you have.

with vicroads, they dont look at your car. because all they do is check if your vin number and engine number match up. once you call vicroads, and everything matches up, you just need to bring in your plates, rwc, proof of purchase and id. and you pay for your new plates and stamp duty and they hand you new plates. because vicroads dont look at your car, some mechanics try to do you for alot to get a rwc. also because of the new taking photos they cant afford to lose their rwc license.

but like most say, best to make it stock, i recently regoed mine in vic from nsw a month ago and i had the car stock so i dont have to run into these issues.

Yeah well the mechanic that i went to said that its too stiff (he pushed the rear end and it barely moved) lol and his like "Your going to have to put stock shocks and springs for it as its unsafe and when you corner at high speeds in wet weather, your cars gonna flip.
Also about vicroads his like when i go on the day their like going to full inspect my car further and all that. So yeah i guess its good to be safe and put stocks on.

Where do you live? If you want you can swing round to my place and we'll do the suspension together. Couple of hours and done.

Thanks for the offer doungie_504, i live in Springvale area.

I kinda need it to do it asap because my appointment for vicroads is next thursday as my nsw rego runs out on june 1st. I was planning on doing the rwc on Monday but assuming that the mechanics going to charge me for putting stocks back on, i might have to push the day to tuesday or wednesday.

Thanks for the help guys, i really appreciate it.

Bludger
26-05-2012, 10:42 PM
gone are the days when you could slip the inspector 50 bux to pass with flying colors.

I feel sorry for those that never experienced this.

charliebrown
26-05-2012, 10:45 PM
Matt if you need a hand gimme a text. Can swing by at night during the week on my way home from uni since you got a garage to work in

Bludger
26-05-2012, 10:46 PM
Matt if you need a hand gimme a text. Can swing by at night during the week on my way home from uni since you got a garage to work in
CB auto does house calls?

shieee

mattsrea
26-05-2012, 11:21 PM

Ahh yeahh alright i'll talk to you about it tomorrow if your still going jdmst