PDA

View Full Version : retriming EG civic door trim inserts?

tommyG
06-03-2005, 09:15 PM
has anyone ever retrimmed there EG civic hatch door trim inserts where the electric window button is located? i pulled the door trim off and that section is plastic welded on. how should i go about doing this? any ideas?
i thought about grinding the plastic off and then re glue it back on after the trim... plz help... thanks;)

D16Y
06-03-2005, 09:33 PM
has anyone ever retrimmed there EG civic hatch door trim inserts where the electric window button is located? i pulled the door trim off and that section is plastic welded on. how should i go about doing this? any ideas?
i thought about grinding the plastic off and then re glue it back on after the trim... plz help... thanks;)

Yes ive done it on a eg sedan. i found it easier to chisel the melted plastic off behind the trim. find a suitable fabric thats not too thin as the glue that u use may seep thru the fabric n make it go all hard [use a contact adhesive spray]. once that is done use something like liquid nails to glue the plastic piece back onto the door trim. ;)

Disciple
06-03-2005, 10:24 PM
any pics? i am also interested in doing this

Dr4g0n
07-03-2005, 06:19 AM
have you guys tried searching? i've done a long write up on what to do when retrimming the door inserts...and so have a couple other people.

SHWCARCIVIC
07-03-2005, 10:55 AM
When we re-trimmed the doors on my civic we grinded off the melted plastic, did what we had to do and the we screwed them back into place with small screws and washers. It just makes it easier next time you want to re-trim, alot less messy than using glues to hold every thing together.

jes87s
07-03-2005, 11:22 AM
I might consider doing this to mine... Pics would be great, I'm a girl, need all the help I can get lol.

tommyG
07-03-2005, 11:48 AM
yeah this was all the sorts of things i was thinking to do i just didnt know which idea to go with and im sure if it didnt work out in a good way i knew i would be up for new trims and these im sure are pricy !!

thanks for ur imput everyone.

SHWCARCIVIC
07-03-2005, 12:33 PM
They wont that that pricy to re-trim it really simple to do( you may need a friend to help you) and depending on the material you use. They tend to sell it by the meter so if you do have to start again you'll most probably have enough material to go a second round.

SIKCVC
07-03-2005, 02:37 PM
I retrimmed mine in panther fur... mmmm pimpin'.

piss easy :P i did it back when i got the car when i was 16. WoW, i've had that thing for ages.

Use sellys "gell grip" its a thick contact adhesive, REALLY strong really good stuff, i use it all the time in stereo displays.

jes87s
07-03-2005, 02:39 PM
Would someone be willing to help me?????? :confused: :(

MR-VTEC
07-03-2005, 04:56 PM
when i did mine i used a soldering iron to melt the plastic that holds the original fabric in place it's quite easy and clean.

ed.win.
07-03-2005, 07:39 PM
hey guys check out this site. it has pics of how to do it. hope it helps
http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=883815

tommyG
08-03-2005, 09:21 PM
cool man shouldnt be too hard me and my bro have done lots of trim work using vinal and quick grip contact glue.

tan18d
08-03-2005, 09:40 PM
use a paint stripper gun to heat the glue. I;ve seen the pro trimmers do it.