PDA

View Full Version : advice on painting a dark coloured car white DIY style

cihanvtec
30-05-2012, 11:38 PM
hey guys,

ive got abit of a track pig which im looking to paint myself with spray cans.. the colour im after is white. however, im led to believe it will be difficult to achive a nice finish as the car is currently dark blue.

im not worried about the interior and engine bay, im happy to keep them dark blue.
im planning on sanding the car down with 400 gritt sandpaper, then 600, then 1000.. im not planning on using a primer as i wont be sanding down to bare metal. im then planning on using 1500 wet.. then paint. is this a good idea?

what im not sure about is, should i wet sand again after the first couple of coats of paint?

is there a certain type of paint that i have to use? ie a thicker type of paint or something, because im going from a dark to light colour?

there are plenty of write ups but i havent really been able to find anything on going from a dark to light colour.

can somone in the industrie, or someone with abit of experience in this field shed some light please?

i know i can probably get a shitty professional paintjob for what it will cost me, but i actually want to take the initiative and have some fun with it..

thanks guys

SLOBRO
30-05-2012, 11:47 PM
bro dont bother with spray cans

charliebrown
30-05-2012, 11:49 PM
MCM inspired?

cihanvtec
30-05-2012, 11:49 PM
why not man?? u reckon it wont last?

cihanvtec
30-05-2012, 11:50 PM
MCM inspired?

haha a little!! fwd hachiroku ftw!!!

SLOBRO
30-05-2012, 11:57 PM
if you have a compressor then just buy a cheap spray gun you can get 1 for like 100 to 150 then you will need

1.5mm spray gun (gravity feed is better)

2.5L solid based paint (dont need clear coat)

About 5-10 sheets of 800 gritt wet and dry sand paper

Wax and Grease remover spray can ones are good

Rags

2 or 3 Tack rags

2-3 1/2" masking tape and 2" masking tape

lots of newspaper lol

SLOBRO
31-05-2012, 12:02 AM
why not man?? u reckon it wont last?
its not that trust me its alot easier doing a whole car with a spray gun the can is good for small stuff because if ur doing bigger parts like roof, doors and bonnet with a spray can it will get very messy haha

cihanvtec
31-05-2012, 12:16 AM
its not that trust me its alot easier doing a whole car with a spray gun the can is good for small stuff because if ur doing bigger parts like roof, doors and bonnet with a spray can it will get very messy haha

thanks for the advice man. i have a conpressor. ill have to invest in a spray gun. what turns me off with using a spray gun, is tht i have to mix the paint myself dont i? im not too keen on that and i have no idea what i mix and how much. i like the idea of the paint being ready in a can.. but if its going to last me longer, i guess i can learn to mix paint.. haha

what exactly is needed when using a gun? is there ready paint that i can just fill the gun with? or do i need to thin it out etc?

SLOBRO
31-05-2012, 12:20 AM
yea the solid based paint are ready to spray no mix needed and u need thinners too for cleaning ur gun after u use it
watch some youtube videos on painting it will help alott :)

cihanvtec
31-05-2012, 12:28 AM
thanks alot man ill have a look into it

SLOBRO
31-05-2012, 12:38 AM
no worries

white_ep3_civic
31-05-2012, 05:46 PM
My mate sprayed his whole S14 drift car in spray cans, turned out alot better than expected.

chauster
31-05-2012, 05:57 PM
Have fun covering a full car in spray can. Dark to light color is same shit. Just need a few extra coats of colour to cover the blue. Good luck. The amount of can you need you could probably just get a quick/pro job done.

SLOBRO
01-06-2012, 12:42 AM
exactly lol
Have fun covering a full car in spray can. Dark to light color is same shit. Just need a few extra coats of colour to cover the blue. Good luck. The amount of can you need you could probably just get a quick/pro job done.