PDA

View Full Version : SA Double demerits, new fines under SA speeding reforms

YOanthony
31-05-2012, 03:13 PM
http://www.fullyloaded.com.au/industry-news/articleid/79619.aspx

^ Full story. Take it easy guys.

mooshie
31-05-2012, 10:45 PM
Eh, fair enough. At least the fines for the more accidental type speeding, ie- the lower speed brackets has actually come down! I think that in itself is remarkable! The fines in the higher brackets have gone up but to get done at that speed you must be doing it deliberately or seriously not paying any attention to the road at all. It's the demerit points that really piss me off, if I lose my licence I lose my job - equates to a much bigger financial penalty than the fines.

Having said that, penalties are penalties, not too upset about them. It's the speed limits themselves that are ridiculous, how on earth they are decided for some roads I will never understand eg- why on earth does it drop to 90 in the tunnels as opposed to 100 for the rest of the freeway? And don't get me started on those damn variable signs...

YOanthony
01-06-2012, 09:17 AM
Eh, fair enough. At least the fines for the more accidental type speeding, ie- the lower speed brackets has actually come down! I think that in itself is remarkable! The fines in the higher brackets have gone up but to get done at that speed you must be doing it deliberately or seriously not paying any attention to the road at all. It's the demerit points that really piss me off, if I lose my licence I lose my job - equates to a much bigger financial penalty than the fines.

Having said that, penalties are penalties, not too upset about them. It's the speed limits themselves that are ridiculous, how on earth they are decided for some roads I will never understand eg- why on earth does it drop to 90 in the tunnels as opposed to 100 for the rest of the freeway? And don't get me started on those damn variable signs...
I agree. My license is the foundation of my life at the moment. If I lost my license, I'd lose my education, my employment and I'd probably wind up going mental. I think the only reason the government has done this is cause the smoking ban is coming in more harshly - and they need revenue from somewhere. I mean, given cigarette sales about to go down, the only other thing they'd be able to do apart from actually legalizing a drug would be to up fines. Upping taxes would cause an uproar!

infurNOS
01-06-2012, 02:49 PM
SA has the toughest road laws.

YOanthony
01-06-2012, 04:21 PM
SA has the toughest road laws.
:( indeed.