PDA

View Full Version : How much water?

GU357
31-05-2012, 08:10 PM
recently installed a CAI.
despite the weather report saying "few showers" it poored down like someone decided to move the indian ocean in on us, i kept thinking "shit im gonna flood the car in a puddle" and so on. went through some massive flood plains but didnt waterblock the engine.

so im wondering how much water would it take?
completely submerged airfilter? or what?

manolii
31-05-2012, 08:12 PM
They say half the pod but im not willing to find out

GU357
31-05-2012, 08:36 PM
wow, i know the pod is wet for sure dont think it reached half though.
it rarely rains this bad, so i keep it for the hot days. ie pretty much everyother day

vtechyo
31-05-2012, 09:00 PM
wow, i know the pod is wet for sure dont think it reached half though.
it rarely rains this bad, so i keep it for the hot days. ie pretty much everyother day

Are u asking how much water it would of taken in or how much water does it take in until u get hrydolock? By the sounds of it u asked how much until hydrolock thats where manolii answered it takes half the pod to cause hydrolock.....etc etc If you meant how much water it took then we cant help with that

curtis265
31-05-2012, 09:44 PM
i think it takes a fair bit of water.. a few drops is nothing

I've read if you go through a puddle full throttle your engine can cope with it... not keen to try though

GU357
31-05-2012, 10:09 PM
nah i meant how submerged it needs to be for it to suck up enough water to cause hydrolock.

i know a few drops wont hurt, infact a few drops might even be good. the old spitfires, i think, used to use water injection and the water would turn to steam and expand, creating stronger combustion.

but im not really after that lol

adamc11
31-05-2012, 10:50 PM
In my old N16 pulsar my pod filter was located behind the front bumper, near the bottom behind the foglight.

I went through a decent puddle that was on the side of the road (same side as pod). It didn't seem that deep but the car died and refused to start for a while.

GU357
01-06-2012, 12:56 AM
thats where mine is. behind what would be the foglight but my car didnt have any.
to avoid the puddles i drive on the median strip and the sidewalk a bit. so SCARY.

EKVTIR-T
01-06-2012, 01:00 AM
If you have screwdriver in car,I reckon those situations,pull over and remove air intake hose from throttle body,then drive the rest of the way through the water till youre home safe

GU357
01-06-2012, 04:49 AM
i keep a spare allen key. im probably gonna buy a crappy spare filter and leave in the glove box from now on and do a quick release kinda thing ahaha.

GU357
01-06-2012, 04:50 AM
thats a good idea youve given me

manolii
01-06-2012, 08:42 AM
thats a good idea youve given me

If your concerned about rain buy a K&N typhoon system, its a cold air that you can convert into a short ram
http://cf.mp-cdn.net/c4/2a/a58958e48699802f04a4789615c3.jpg

curtis265
01-06-2012, 10:06 AM
^shieet that's wizardry!

DakDak
01-06-2012, 11:01 AM
I hydrolocked my K20a2 awhile back with an Injen CAI. She was a good engine. Copped alot before she finally gave up. I reckon it must of sucked about 2L maybe? This was going through shit arse typhoon weather/ noobness/ wrecklessness. Blew the bottom end.

butterfingers
01-06-2012, 11:13 AM
gruppeM or any enclosed cold air box.
has sump for rain water

connorling
01-06-2012, 12:20 PM
i wouldnt risk ~5hp gain for a massive engine rebuild (cost $3500+).
swap to a short air intake just to be safe.

butterfingers
01-06-2012, 01:04 PM
i wouldnt risk ~5hp gain for a massive engine rebuild (cost $3500+).
swap to a short air intake just to be safe.

5hp without a tune if your lucky.

GU357
03-06-2012, 12:55 AM
the injen one gives a 7hp extra. LOL

thanks for the info guys.

EJ1
03-06-2012, 01:10 PM
Short metal intake pipe>pod> blackflexi pipe... You can still retain the airflow but since your pod filter is still in the engine bay there's less to worry about in regards to it sucking up water.

Got a setup like that on my Stagea and works a treat!

GU357
03-06-2012, 02:20 PM
have you actually read the air intake temperature to know it works?
My previous SRI had an air intake temp of ~50degrees, now the temperature is at a mere 25 on most days and with these winter nights about 16degrees.

androo
03-06-2012, 02:59 PM
Wow no need to be a c**t mate... EJ1 is just trying to help with another suggestion. It's unlikely you will hydro lock your car and you WILL know if you are at risk. It's your own decision to keep driving.

EJ1's set up is a great compromise. Add an enclosed airbox and you have the best of both worlds - no chance of hydro lock and no heat soak.

Anyway did you measure your intake temps yourself? Or did you just read all that off the interwebs? Sounds like the latter. Sorry if people make suggestions that means you might have to remove your expensive piece of pipe with an sticker on it. At least other people don't have to worry about hydro locking. I've had an exposed SRI set up, a CAI set up and the cold air feed to an enclosed air box set up. The last one is my preference, and while a CAI may be good, the nervousness you seem to be experiencing regarding hydro locking will mean driving will suck every time there's a bit of rain...

By the way, I doubt you'll get a 7bhp gain from just a pipe connected to such a cute little engine... (Don't worry I have one, too). Especially without a tune.

EJ1
03-06-2012, 03:21 PM
have you actually read the air intake temperature to know it works?
My previous SRI had an air intake temp of ~50degrees, now the temperature is at a mere 25 on most days and with these winter nights about 16degrees.

Keeping in mind RB motors love the cold ambient air temperature I was assuming the same would be on a Honda, What I suggested was used on my car which is actually turbocharged not naturally aspirated.

Why would you want to have a pod filter in an area which could be submerged in water anyway I cant justify using this method as I mentioned if needing to run or wanting to run a cold air intake your best option is to keep the pod filter in the oem airbox location then by running a flexi pipe through a hole in the chassis feeding it a constant cold supply of air so therefore you don't have to worry about the filter sucking up water.

There is significant amount of heat dispersion under bonnet as opposed to outer bonnet ambient air temperature.

GU357
03-06-2012, 06:18 PM
Wow no need to be a c**t mate... EJ1 is just trying to help with another suggestion. It's unlikely you will hydro lock your car and you WILL know if you are at risk. It's your own decision to keep driving.

EJ1's set up is a great compromise. Add an enclosed airbox and you have the best of both worlds - no chance of hydro lock and no heat soak.

Anyway did you measure your intake temps yourself? Or did you just read all that off the interwebs? Sounds like the latter. Sorry if people make suggestions that means you might have to remove your expensive piece of pipe with an sticker on it. At least other people don't have to worry about hydro locking. I've had an exposed SRI set up, a CAI set up and the cold air feed to an enclosed air box set up. The last one is my preference, and while a CAI may be good, the nervousness you seem to be experiencing regarding hydro locking will mean driving will suck every time there's a bit of rain...

By the way, I doubt you'll get a 7bhp gain from just a pipe connected to such a cute little engine... (Don't worry I have one, too). Especially without a tune.

the 7hp is a joke dude, calm down. im just asking if it has been measured I took the reading from the ECU.
not trying to be a c*nt but it's just a question, no sarcasm intended.
im just curious as if i were to put flexy pipe there the pipe would not be facing any air flow it will be in cooler air but that doesnt mean the pod will take the air from the pipe. and i cannot face the flexi pipe toward oncoming air whilst driving either as ther are no holes there for air flow.

and chances of submerging are so low as it hardly ever rains this much, the whether for the day indicated few showers.

no need to jump to conclusions

EJ1
04-06-2012, 06:08 AM
I'll upload a few pictures of my setup today so you know what I'm trying to explain.