PDA

View Full Version : Iridium vs Platinum Spark Plugs?

Forbiddenoob
01-06-2012, 11:35 PM
What the different between them !?? They killing my brain cells..
http://www.ngkspark.com.au/sparkplug.php#

aaronng
01-06-2012, 11:48 PM
Iridium's are supposed to last 100-120k. Platinums supposed to last 60k but are cheaper than iridium. Iridium also tend to have the fine tip on their electrodes.

SLOBRO
02-06-2012, 12:04 AM
nuthing man exactly the same they just last alott longer so you'll only need to change them like after 100,000 km
only good if u have a FWD V6 type car where the back 3 cylinders are harder to change if you know what i mean
on a 4 cylinder i'd rather use the normal copper core ones :D

SLOBRO
02-06-2012, 12:07 AM
they both last 100k if they are the laser platinum or laser iridium because the tip and the ground has the special metals
if its only on the tip they last till bout 50k or so

curtis265
02-06-2012, 12:52 AM
since you drive a honda.. just go for copper plugs since they can be changed in 15 minutes

Indie
02-06-2012, 04:58 AM
since you drive a honda.. just go for copper plugs since they can be changed in 15 minutesThis is correct.

gen2 CRX
02-06-2012, 07:22 AM
Standard iridiums last 60k, laser platinums and laser iridiums are the ones that last 100k. Standard copper plugs last 20-40k. There should be no difference in performance with either plug, they are all copper its just that the irridiums and platinums have a special coating over the copper to make them last.

gen2 CRX
02-06-2012, 07:26 AM
The standard s2k plugs are pfr7g-11s which are laser platinums. So i would just buy these plugs

migoreng
02-06-2012, 08:30 AM
^

My H22A NGK Iridium IX plugs have lasted 100,000km...According to the bonnet sticker or the service manual, the Prelude comes with Laser Platinum plugs from the factory and they should last 100,000km too?

Forbiddenoob
02-06-2012, 12:17 PM
Ahaha thank guys! They don't come with copper.

curtis265
02-06-2012, 12:33 PM
^

My H22A NGK Iridium IX plugs have lasted 100,000km...According to the bonnet sticker or the service manual, the Prelude comes with Laser Platinum plugs from the factory and they should last 100,000km too?

correct but why pay so much?

my service history indicates that the previous owner paid around $30/plug (total 120ish).... and coppers are only ~$7, so unless the iridium plugs are going to last at least 4 times longer, i wouldn't bother with the price hike.

I don't really recommend this, but you could also get a cheap socket set with a spark plug attachment for under $30 too.

sensei_
02-06-2012, 12:41 PM
my service history indicates that the previous owner paid around $30/plug (total 120ish).... and coppers are only ~$7, so unless the iridium plugs are going to last at least 4 times longer, i wouldn't bother with the price hike.

I don't really recommend this, but you could also get a cheap socket set with a spark plug attachment for under $30 too.

i was under the understanding that iridium burns fuel alot faster/hotter than copper?

for my legend, i bought 6x spark plugs, and they were like $10/ea shipped from singapore.

shop smart and you can have a good spark AND at a good price.

curtis265
02-06-2012, 12:43 PM
i'm no expert on the material properties so i'm not going to comment

$10's not bad!

sensei_
02-06-2012, 01:18 PM
yeah.... i bought some for the camry, and also same price. even better when i bought them whilst i was there, and no need to pay for shipping, just throw them in my carry on.

the security guys was like "i see metal, open your bags please!"

*hands him my packet of spark plugs* and he gives them right back after finding out they are spark plugs.

Forbiddenoob
02-06-2012, 03:20 PM
i was under the understanding that iridium burns fuel alot faster/hotter than copper?

for my legend, i bought 6x spark plugs, and they were like $10/ea shipped from singapore.

I think you mean it warm you car alot faster at start up.

sensei_
02-06-2012, 04:10 PM
is that right?

i can only see that being a good thing i guess. happy to be corrected if its wrong

migoreng
02-06-2012, 04:29 PM
correct but why pay so much?

Mine cost 80 total back then including fitting.

Well would going back to copper/20,000km plugs improve anything?
Ie. by changing copper plugs more frequently what are the benefits?

Like I said I've done 100,000km since I replaced the plugs nearly 4 years ago. I've never had to worry about them. How the tips currently look, I don't know, but my engine has never misfired/missed a beat.
Ill try using them until I reach the 110,000km mark.....which is another 8000km :)

Fredoops
03-06-2012, 03:55 PM

if my highschool science knowledge still holds up...

Platinum vs Copper vs Iridium

Copper conducts electricity the most efficiently
Iridium conducts electricity less than copper
platinum conducts electricity less than iridium

Platinum last longest
Iridium last less than Platinum
Copper last less than Iridium

so as far as lightening a fire with electricity... copper would be best. however copper if I remember correctly is a much more volatile metal compared to iridium and platinum, so it's way more suspectable to corrosion/carbon buildup etc etc etc.

SLOBRO
03-06-2012, 04:10 PM
if my highschool science knowledge still holds up...

Platinum vs Copper vs Iridium

Copper conducts electricity the most efficiently
Iridium conducts electricity less than copper
platinum conducts electricity less than iridium

Platinum last longest
Iridium last less than Platinum
Copper last less than Iridium

so as far as lightening a fire with electricity... copper would be best. however copper if I remember correctly is a much more volatile metal compared to iridium and platinum, so it's way more suspectable to corrosion/carbon buildup etc etc etc.
yea but just use copper ones if you want better spark i'd use the iridium and platinum on FWD V6 cars that take too long to change the rear 3 spark plugs lol

sensei_
03-06-2012, 04:22 PM
so denso/ngk advertising that ill get a better spark with iridium is rubbish?

ive currently gone down the iridium route for all my cars, even on a daily camry that my dad uses.

curtis265
03-06-2012, 04:25 PM
IMO yes, i'd never bother unless i drove a subaru

SLOBRO
03-06-2012, 04:32 PM
lo yes or a subaru heheh

Fredoops
03-06-2012, 06:52 PM
so denso/ngk advertising that ill get a better spark with iridium is rubbish?

ive currently gone down the iridium route for all my cars, even on a daily camry that my dad uses.

you dont get "better" spark, you get consistent spark for a much longer lifespan.

copper sparks get dirty very easily.... and lol have you seen a copper spark on a car that run E10 for a while?

or a Legnum/Galant...

Friend tried to DIY spark change once.

...... It wasnt pretty...........

curtis265
03-06-2012, 08:37 PM
how's a legnum spark plug arrangement like?

Fredoops
03-06-2012, 09:03 PM
how's a legnum spark plug arrangement like?

3 facing the radiator

3 behind (as in... UNDER) the intake manifold facing the driver

curtis265
03-06-2012, 09:04 PM
oh.

FML.

sensei_
03-06-2012, 09:13 PM
you dont get "better" spark, you get consistent spark for a much longer lifespan.

copper sparks get dirty very easily.... and lol have you seen a copper spark on a car that run E10 for a while?

thanks for that. no i havent seen a copper spark plug before, let alone one running on E10.

all my cars have had platty plugs, and as of late (1yr ago) i switched them progressively to iridium

Fredoops
03-06-2012, 11:54 PM
oh.

FML.

Never heard so much swearing in my life

EJ1
04-06-2012, 09:45 AM
From my understanding copper is the way to go, It puts out a better and stronger spark. Guys on skylines Australia recommend nothing but them which should say something.

Fredoops
04-06-2012, 10:57 AM
From my understanding copper is the way to go, It puts out a better and stronger spark. Guys on skylines Australia recommend nothing but them which should say something.

Yes like i said, but you'll need to change and check it more frequently.

sensei_
04-06-2012, 12:16 PM
but if they are as cheap, then it isnt really a problem to change them out every couple of oil changes or whatever is the recommended intervals

ericl33
05-06-2012, 11:06 PM
but if they are as cheap, then it isnt really a problem to change them out every couple of oil changes or whatever is the recommended intervals
but some people have no clue and strip the thread doing and undoing it.

sensei_
05-06-2012, 11:16 PM
in that case, they shouldnt be using a socket/wrench set in the first place

SLOBRO
05-06-2012, 11:21 PM
haha true

curtis265
06-06-2012, 10:36 AM

or even attempting an oil change

sensei_
06-06-2012, 10:47 AM
i should rephrase. they shouldnt be near anything remotely related to repairs. because they are a disaster in the making.

aaronng
06-06-2012, 03:56 PM
It's because if you are running a rich fuel mixture because of high boost pressure, then the plugs could foul quicker. Higher combustion temperatures also cause the electrode to wear quicker. So it makes sense to change it more often for less dollars.