PDA

View Full Version : Fly wheel question

DC2ahh
02-06-2012, 08:55 PM
Hey OH,

I am in the process of changing the clutch in my car.
I am upgrading to a Exedy Heavy Duty.
What i want to know is, what is the importance of changing the flywheel. is it ok to use the OEM one in already in the car? or is it recommended to upgrade to a lightened flywheel??

Thank in advance.

DLO01
02-06-2012, 09:00 PM
You don't have to change the flywheel. If you get they oem one machined, you can use it again with the new clutch.

Upgrading to a light flywheel is a good mod. This is one mod that I could actually feel the difference. The reason why people do both in one go is your killing two birds with one stone. The labour alone to costs a bit, so thats why people do both at the same time while its all apart.

This has be discussed already. Do a search and you'll find more info about it.

FAITHLESS
02-06-2012, 09:04 PM
You should really replace pressure plate, clutch disk, flywheel, pilot bearing and clutch release bearing. If the flywheel is in great condition, I might not bother but it's not that expensive. Buy a lightweight one. It will be fun.
Make sure you torque everything to spec and in the right order. Especially with the pressure plate. Don't want to warp it.

DreadAngel
02-06-2012, 09:04 PM
The factory flywheel can be reused, just needs to be machined if its not damaged [cracked or anything along those lines]. Lightened Flywheel allows the engine to rev quicker which is useful for a NA machine however when you lighten your flywheel:

- It does mean it will lose revs just as quick making clutch work more delicate
- If you have load on the engine [A/C, Uphill, passengers] the engine will feel even more lethargic
- Makes the car more frantic, some people don't mind others do...

Most of the concerns are more daily driving issues, unless you're going racing a lot, buy just a lightened one not an ultra light one like those that weigh <4kg... Its hell driving with one of those daily...

Evok
02-06-2012, 09:27 PM
They said it all.

You might as well upgrade it while your there. Its like extra $200-300 for a lighten fly wheel any ways! But dc2r flywheel is good already for some people.

type_AHH
02-06-2012, 11:39 PM
Noob question related to topic...

Do you need to do anything prior to installing a new clutch and new flywheel?

Does a new flywheel need to be machined or balanced or anything like that before install?

(I've yet to install Exedy sports organic clutch and Exedy lightweight flywheel for my DC5R)

FAITHLESS
02-06-2012, 11:49 PM
Noob question related to topic...

Do you need to do anything prior to installing a new clutch and new flywheel?

Does a new flywheel need to be machined or balanced or anything like that before install?

(I've yet to install Exedy sports organic clutch and Exedy lightweight flywheel for my DC5R)

No machining or balancing required. Make sure it's clean (use brake cleaner)

Make sure you press the pilot bearing into the flywheel before bolting it to the crank. Just a little tip.

DreadAngel
03-06-2012, 12:35 AM
Clutch no...

Flywheel, if its brand new, usually don't need...

However if it's used yes, machine it if still usable to ensure it has a nice surface to 'mesh' with the clutch...