PDA

View Full Version : Jazz is dying.

GU357
03-06-2012, 01:18 AM
Okay heres the deal. my jazz is dying the CVT which is on its last legs is giving up on me.
the car was given to me (in a sense).
now i love the jazz but would i be better off keeping the engine and getting a manual swap? or buying a new car? keeping in mind that buying a new car i will have to pay for 100% of the car and i wont make any money of the sale of the old one as its technically not mine.

another GD3 Jazz in manual here is around 8,000$
and i plan to transfer my mods to the next car.

i know that the tranny conversion has been deemed not worthy of doing because you should just sell the old one and get the one you want. but im not in a position to sell the old one.
make sense?

GU357
03-06-2012, 01:18 AM
Doushio!

Tai
03-06-2012, 09:26 AM
Sell it and get a manual.

CVT for the GD jazz is a nightmare and only just headaches if you repaired it, changing it to manual would cost more than selling your auto one and getting a manual.

Zilli
03-06-2012, 10:42 AM
sell it, but realise anyone who is a bi cluey will pick up the issues, and you wont get the same money as a healthy car...

or repair, keep for a while longer

GU357
03-06-2012, 02:22 PM
so doing a manual conversion would exceed the 8 grand it will cost me to buy a new one?

androo
03-06-2012, 02:44 PM
No, it won't cost you more than the 8k or so to buy a new one... But it will cost you a few thousand to buy the gearbox and have it installed. Assuming it is done correctly, it will still raise an eyebrow to potential buyers when you do decide to sell. This is likely to further devalue your car. So let's say if you sell your car now, you may get 7-8k in your pocket which you can put towards your next car. If you decide to buy another Jazz in a similar condition you will be out very little.

But if you keep your car and spend 2.5k on it to convert it, and decide to sell it in the future, you will be out 2.5k + depreciation + devalued amount due to conversion.

Maybe you should talk to the owner of the car about this. I would lean towards either FIXING the car (when you sell it, you will have receipts of it being repaired, and the value of the car will not drop), or taking the owner of the car to a Honda dealer, trading your car in and buying a used manual one with you paying the difference. This way they are across the whole process, you won't be losing TOO much money, and you'll end up with a short bit of warranty as well. It also protects the next buyer, who will have some warranty when they buy the car.

Anyway are you sure the owner of the car is happy with you modifying the car fairly extensively and changing it to a manual, but not happy with you trading it in for one that came from the factory the way you want it?

GU357
03-06-2012, 06:24 PM
i was thinking a wreckers gearbox + ECU+ HUD+ steering wheel.
then install?

mods are allowed but selling it means starting from scratch.
fixing the car would cost me $1600+ then selling it i would not recieve any of that back and would have to fork out 8grand to buy another car.

I will ask my father if doing a trade in is an option. but the car is sitting on completely different suspension.
so really i need both cars in my possession at the same time to move both mods accross, as i dont have my old exhaust parts.

but i will find further info

androo
03-06-2012, 06:30 PM
Sounds like you already made up your mind. Not sure why you asked...

DreadAngel
03-06-2012, 06:41 PM
You missed out a few other parts for the manual conversion man, not that simple...

Personally unless you're really into the Jazz, just sell it and buy into something else.

GU357
03-06-2012, 06:47 PM
yeh im thinking that might be a good idea as well.
shame i really liked it and hunted out rare parts too. that only a jazz enthusiast would want LOL.

amant02
06-06-2012, 08:18 PM
About time you buy your own car. From memory wasn't this jazz handed down to you from dad? (rememeber seeing a tread fair abit ago, you hit something and got a bodykit) - was searching body kits for my gfs jazz.

I would never use money on a car that isn't mine, just my 2 cents (here comes the haters)

Fix it, as it was given to you in a good condition so you can return it in a good condition, ya know wat i mean.

Plus i really liked your build, taking a similar path on my gf's jazz.

chow_tofu
08-06-2012, 05:01 PM
I know its hard to buy a new car from scratch, but Id highly recommend saving up money to buy your own car. Owning your own car paid with your cold hard cash feels alot better haha. But I understand sometimes its not financially possible to fork out 8k randomly.

Assuming you got the car from your dad, do you still have warranty? Our Jazz has been 'repaired' 3 times and it was all covered by the Honda 7 year gearbox warranty.

If I were you I wouldnt do a gearbox conversion as it kinda 'screws' up the history of the car. You could repair it to the drivable stage and save up for a manual car.

GU357
09-06-2012, 12:35 AM
i see what yas mean. the car has actually been acting rather normal the last few days. maybe the calm before the storm. but everything seems to be working again. the idle is still a bit iffy tho. seems a lil low. im told in a couple years i might be allowed to buy a new car. for some reason im not "allowed" to buy a new car so quite literrally all my money has gone into paying for services on this one. and keeping it registered, even before i had a license i was for some reason paying the registration of the car and being threatened with "if u dont pay it you wont have a car to drive"

and yeh amant ur right i drove into a wall about a yr ago. my dad said yeh go forward rather then question him because he is quick tempered i just went ahead and did it LOL.

looks like ill spend money on getting this one to look nice and keep the good money for a car thats a lil faster out the factory.