PDA

View Full Version : Sydney Japanese Car importers

DakDak
03-06-2012, 03:16 PM
Hi all,

I've searched here and google but want more options.

I'm looking for some car importers in the Sydney area.

This is what I've checked out so far:
-Sports Auto Group
-Allimports
-Edward Lee's
-Xtreme Motorsports
-JDMsport
-JSpec Imports
-Top Secret Imports
-Japlink

I'm after a S15 or a Supra RZ. I've had good customer service at Sports Auto Group. But Edward Lee's seems to have what I'm after and at a cheaper price.

So any additional opinions and importers google didnt throw up would be great.

DreadAngel
03-06-2012, 06:22 PM
Don't go to Edward Lee... Leave it at that...

J-Spec Imports as far as I know don't have a physical compliance centre [This was back 2007], they're import agents/brokers that arrange everything for you. All you need to do is pay the correct agencies and what not when J-Spec ask you to and compliance is handled by their selected RAWS however you can request a specific RAWS too.

I haven't had experience with the others, TSI I see quite a few of their cars around my area. Japlink as far as I know are an Import Dealership as are Edward Lee... They're generally expensive cause the cars are imported and complianced by them already, unsure what they charge you or even if they're willing to import one just for you...

Have a try of Prestige Motorsport =) I ended up going with J-Spec but Prestige Motorsport are good too =)

Though if you're after a S15 or JZA80, there should be plenty in Australia already?

simmy
03-06-2012, 06:29 PM
I recommend sports auto group.

DakDak
03-06-2012, 07:19 PM
Don't go to Edward Lee... Leave it at that...

J-Spec Imports as far as I know don't have a physical compliance centre [This was back 2007], they're import agents/brokers that arrange everything for you. All you need to do is pay the correct agencies and what not when J-Spec ask you to and compliance is handled by their selected RAWS however you can request a specific RAWS too.

I haven't had experience with the others, TSI I see quite a few of their cars around my area. Japlink as far as I know are an Import Dealership as are Edward Lee... They're generally expensive cause the cars are imported and complianced by them already, unsure what they charge you or even if they're willing to import one just for you...

Have a try of Prestige Motorsport =) I ended up going with J-Spec but Prestige Motorsport are good too =)

Though if you're after a S15 or JZA80, there should be plenty in Australia already?

Thanks alot for your input. I'll hit up Prestige Motorsport and give J-Spec another look.

Yea I've seen the NSW crop and there's nothing that stands out. There's only 2 Supra's that had my attention, but even though had major faults. A black one from Canterbury that looks dodgy as and a silver one which is really a SZ converted to RZ and needed paintwork.

Alot of pewter greyand white s15's around. Not many different colours im after like red or black and the ones that are don't seem worthy

Any particular reason why I shouldnt go near Edward Lee's?

DakDak
03-06-2012, 07:20 PM
I recommend sports auto group.

Cool. Did you or a friend buy one of their cars? What was it?

HauLe_
03-06-2012, 07:29 PM
I've only heard good things about xtreme and top secret. Also if you're looking for something in japan try iron chef imports (they are a broker)

DreadAngel
03-06-2012, 07:39 PM
Ahhh icic...

PM sent mate regarding them... Don't want to get OH into trouble... [Wyn will kill my ass XD]

Xtreme I believe Sammuel is there so should be good =)

Iron Chef contact Krisitan. Like HanLe_ mentioned, they're a broker just like J-Spec and Prestige Motorsport ;)

sensei_
03-06-2012, 09:14 PM
I didnt want to start a new thread, if someone can answer it will be good.

Can i import a car for the sole purpose of wrecking (96 legend), so that i can transplant the parts over to my car without paying wreckers prices for every part i want.

DreadAngel
03-06-2012, 09:18 PM
Sensei, as far as I know, you can't go through the Personal Import or SEVS to do that as the car must either be Track Only or Road Registered?

Importing it yourself is a royal ***** pain in the ass with lots of time, money and headaches. I doubt you can save that much anyway. Pretty sure wreckers have their own rules and regulations to follow.

DakDak
03-06-2012, 09:21 PM
Thanks for the heads up Dread. Ill give Xtreme and Top secret a buzz tomorrow. Kinda wish I didn't email Edward Lee already

Samm928
03-06-2012, 11:17 PM
pm sent ;)

butterfingers
03-06-2012, 11:39 PM
what about IMG

sensei_
03-06-2012, 11:47 PM
Sensei, as far as I know, you can't go through the Personal Import or SEVS to do that as the car must either be Track Only or Road Registered?

Importing it yourself is a royal ***** pain in the ass with lots of time, money and headaches. I doubt you can save that much anyway. Pretty sure wreckers have their own rules and regulations to follow.

it seems on my next visit to japan, i may have to buy a car, find a yard strip the parts and ship them loosely in a container instead of a whole car.

Spicey
04-06-2012, 07:25 AM
Couldn't you import a Legend for the track then once it gets here decide you want something different and put the car to use as a spares car for your daily?

Generally you need a CAMS licence to import complete track cars. If you don't have one you might be better off importing the parts separately?

EJ1
04-06-2012, 08:12 AM
Also heard alot of good feedback regarding Iron Chef imports.

Spicey
04-06-2012, 11:51 AM
I can personally vouch for ICI. Imported a Legnum with their help a few years ago. Would not hesitate to recommend Kristian and the team!

sensei_
04-06-2012, 12:13 PM
Couldn't you import a Legend for the track then once it gets here decide you want something different and put the car to use as a spares car for your daily?

Generally you need a CAMS licence to import complete track cars. If you don't have one you might be better off importing the parts separately?

i may know someone who has a CAMS license who may be able to import track cars, then as you said, just leave the car on wheels in my backyard, where i will just strip parts as required

HauLe_
05-06-2012, 06:45 PM
sensei_ depends on the parks you want. try contacting monster import and see what they can do for you

sensei_
05-06-2012, 09:49 PM
sensei_ depends on the parks you want. try contacting monster import and see what they can do for you

thanks for that. i have already contacted monster imports, and they will need to cut the car in half regardless. as a legend wont be able to be imported even as a track car, unless it is "FIA Homologated" (whatever that means!)

they say they can make sure that the parts arent damaged but it comes at a price.

~$2300 + car cost + import duty/gst

at those prices, i am probably better off buying a registered car, driving it to my place, and handing back the plates to make that my donor car. (legend's go for about $3-5k if im not wrong)

flop101
06-07-2013, 12:47 PM
Has anyone actually dealt with any brokers at Sports auto group?

Winter
06-07-2013, 01:37 PM
International Motor Group (IMG) is good

DreadAngel
06-07-2013, 04:41 PM
Has anyone actually dealt with any brokers at Sports auto group?

Haven't heard of them...

International Motor Group (IMG) is good

This =)

flop101
06-07-2013, 05:31 PM
Haven't heard of them...

This =)

but they dont like importing black ep3s

DreadAngel
06-07-2013, 05:37 PM
LOL XD

Why's that?

charliebrown
06-07-2013, 05:41 PM
umm... SAG actually just imported a fresh black EP3 hahahahahaha

flop101
07-07-2013, 12:39 AM
LOL XD

Why's that?

According to Gavin they aren't as popular as the CW ep3, therefore harder to sell.