PDA

View Full Version : Wheel & Tyre Sizes - EK

TranceZiggy
05-06-2012, 11:16 AM
Hey guys,

It's almost time for new wheels for the EK.. (currently on stockies - 185/60/R14). I would like 16" but I can't find any styles I really like in 16", so I'm leaning towards 17", with 205/40 tyres. (Keeps my overall diameter just SLIGHTLY over the 3% recommended maximum diameter increase)

Here's the problem: In SA, we have the 2" rule.. Meaning I can only go 2" from stock, or, wheel size mustn't exceed 50mm of stock (17" is 76mm of stock) & tyre size mustn't exceed 15mm of stock (205/40 is 18mm of stock..). So it would be defectable, but definitely not obvious to the naked eye - would have to be measured up by some disgruntled copper in order for him to issue a defect. That's a risk I'm willing to take, unless someone can disprove my calculations.

Anyway, can anyone offer any advice/experience in using 17"s on their EK? And any legal issues with it? Also, can anyone recommend any good looking 16" wheels? Or any sites that offer alot of 'smaller size' wheels?

Also, I've seen some EKs that look amazing on 17s, i've also seen some EKs that look like 4WDs.. Would I HAVE TO drop the EK to make it look decent on 17s?

Alot of questions, I know, but I've been trying to do my research on all of this before I make a decision.. Now I'm after opinions & hopefully some experience with this issue.

Cheers, :)

white_ep3_civic
05-06-2012, 04:32 PM
You will need to lower it to make it not look like a monster truck. Just keep the stock EK wheel so if you do get defected you can just put the stockies back on and clear it.

TranceZiggy
05-06-2012, 04:33 PM
UPDATE: Made some calls and found that 205/40R17 will be legal on the Civic.

So, I still have the question: What do 17s look like on an EK? Too tipey-toe? Cause my EK has a fair bit of room to fit some larger wheels nicely. Will I need to lower it for it to look any good? Any pics/thread links to EK's with 17s that look good at stock height?

Cheers..

You will need to lower it to make it not look like a monster truck. Just keep the stock EK wheel so if you do get defected you can just put the stockies back on and clear it.

Yeah, thought so. I am planning on throwing some King springs/shocks (or equivalent.. whichever is most affordable) in there for a 30mm-ish drop.

Peppy
05-06-2012, 04:57 PM
Hey, I've got 16s on my otherwise (almost) stock EK1, I reckon they look good. The tyre size is 205/45/r16 and I reckon it's just enough sidewall that it doesn't look like I'm going for rubber bands. What kinda style are you going for with the wheels?
I can post up a picture or two of mine if you want...

jdmek
05-06-2012, 06:18 PM
16s run best on ek 17 lil bit too big

mooshie
06-06-2012, 07:48 AM
Dunno where you got your wheel info but it doesnt seem correct- http://www.transport.sa.gov.au/pdfs/safety/defective_vehicles.pdf

TranceZiggy
06-06-2012, 09:36 AM
Yeah I used the online tyre calculator plus my own math to get them figures but i don't know how accurate I was, regardless, Adelaide Tyrepower said that 205/40R17 is within legal specs, but I'd prefer 16s if I can find some I like.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for 16s? Most tyre/wheel shop's websites have bugger all 16s up. And pics of 16s as some of you offered would be cool, you may have something I like ;)

EK1 Civic
06-06-2012, 05:48 PM
Im running my mates 17s on my car, with coilovers pretty much close to the highest setting. They scrub, wreck your front quarter panels and look way to big. 16" fills it out nicely.

bladed_yoshii
06-06-2012, 06:37 PM
well im running 17" (205/40/17) on my civic just go to my build thread to see it but i have no dramas with mine just have to get the offsets right and the tires wont rub. i also have king lows with new struts to suit and i dont have any dramas

FAITHLESS
06-06-2012, 06:46 PM
I have 17's. My car is quite low on coilovers. I don't have any problems but I'd still recommend 16's or even 15's. They're harder to buckle and they don't take away as much power at the wheels. Car looks like shit when not lowered on 17's.

unl3a5h
06-06-2012, 07:47 PM
thats 17's on stock springs not flat ground but its not too bad only thing make sure its good offset because i always scrape on the inner side quite badly with a full car.
http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/554964_10150673406952763_633087762_9548179_3009017 92_n.jpg

eeko
06-06-2012, 08:17 PM
http://i.imgur.com/1MuTml.jpg

17's with 205 40 17 on 'low king springs'

http://i.imgur.com/NdAFil.jpg

16's with 205 45 16 on coilovers ......

16's are perfect on an ek and > 17's from personal experience... ride quality, minimal scrubbing etc..

mooshie
06-06-2012, 08:27 PM
Yeah I used the online tyre calculator plus my own math to get them figures but i don't know how accurate I was, regardless, Adelaide Tyrepower said that 205/40R17 is within legal specs, but I'd prefer 16s if I can find some I like.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for 16s? Most tyre/wheel shop's websites have bugger all 16s up. And pics of 16s as some of you offered would be cool, you may have something I like ;)

Adelaide Tyrepower are full of it obviously... That link I posted is straight from TransportSA and it clearly states max increase of 2 inches(50mm) Makes the answer easy if you want to stay legal.

More- http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleID=52051&IsPgd=0
http://www.nissansilvia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=441179&hl=wheel+increase&fromsearch=1
Excellent info in the second link for SA

Info affecting offset choice- http://www.transport.sa.gov.au/pdfs/personal_transport/light_vehicles_pdfs/fact_sheet_track_suspen.pdf

IMO you are unlikely to get defected for wheel size, far more likely for noise or height. Plus it is probably the easiest thing to fix and change of you do get defected. The specs on the 17s you have mentioned should fit easily but 16s are more practical I reckon.
There are a couple of good shops in Blackwood for wheels- Tyrepower, and I think it's called Jacobs Tyres and Mechanical? They had TE37s there for a while. Otherwise you could try Wheelworx or dunno what Cartoys have these days.There really isn't a lot of JDM/racing style wheel dealers in Adelaide, and of course the Traders on here will have options!

TranceZiggy
07-06-2012, 09:33 AM
Wow, so many useful, detailed replies. Man, I love this forum.

Cheers all for the input.

@Mooshie: I'll check them links out, looks like good info. Also, I had never heard of Cartoys. I checked out their website and although they don't have anything up (it's under construction), they did list that they stock Buddyclubs, so I might pop in over the weekend and see what they have.

@eeko: Man, I love your EK.. Extremely good example of a clean, green Civic.

I've searched around other forums as well & decided I'll just look a bit harder for 16s, as the they seem like the 'fool proof' way to go. Too much risk with 17s (scrubbing, blow outs etc.) plus they do look a little big & I would be forced to lower it to make them look good (producing more scrubbing etc.).

Thankfully, I've tracked down a fair few 16s and found a few that I like, so I'll be putting some on soon.

Thanks alot to everyone!

mooshie
07-06-2012, 10:36 PM
Btw, keen to know what you find and where, will be in the market for some 16s myself later in the year.

eeko
07-06-2012, 11:01 PM
Wow, so many useful, detailed replies. Man, I love this forum.

Cheers all for the input.

@Mooshie: I'll check them links out, looks like good info. Also, I had never heard of Cartoys. I checked out their website and although they don't have anything up (it's under construction), they did list that they stock Buddyclubs, so I might pop in over the weekend and see what they have.

@eeko: Man, I love your EK.. Extremely good example of a clean, green Civic.

I've searched around other forums as well & decided I'll just look a bit harder for 16s, as the they seem like the 'fool proof' way to go. Too much risk with 17s (scrubbing, blow outs etc.) plus they do look a little big & I would be forced to lower it to make them look good (producing more scrubbing etc.).

Thankfully, I've tracked down a fair few 16s and found a few that I like, so I'll be putting some on soon.

Thanks alot to everyone!

Cheers dude :)

Yeah trust 16's are the way to go... comfier.. and peice of mind that you have a thicker tire to not bust your rims so easily. Just just right. Let us know how you go!

TranceZiggy
12-06-2012, 12:15 PM
Bump! (Reusing my existing thread rather than making a new one ;P)

Decided on some Advan PGII's 16x7, but wanted to know what would be the ideal offset for the EK? Not sticking out too much, not too far inside the fenders.. Want to avoid scrubbing etc wherever possible.

I can choose from +35, +38, +41 & +48.

Ideas?

Cheers

Oh, and Mooshie: I've been searching for wheels by Brand, I would browse their website & if I found anything I liked, I would find a dealer for them in SA. For Advan, it's a place called The Mag Centre Tyres & More in Prospect.

So far, it seems Advan, Motegi & Buddyclub do mostly 15s, 16s & 17s

PHO
12-06-2012, 07:57 PM
+35

10char

eeko
12-06-2012, 10:50 PM
+35 indeed... with a 7" you can even get away with +15... so yeah get the lowest possible if its 16x7 ... my car runs +25 and i have no problems :)

Hellomotog
13-06-2012, 03:35 AM
rays gram lights