PDA

View Full Version : ABS on Track car

SLOBRO
07-06-2012, 10:34 PM
Hey everyone just wanted to ask if ABS on a track car is ok or should i remove it?

SLOBRO
07-06-2012, 10:59 PM
anyone still have the ABS on their track car?

Stevil
08-06-2012, 08:03 AM
My 2011 Civc is a trackcar/daily drive and its still has ABS, first thing I do is hit the VSA button which pretty much dissables traction control and ABS. Did a trackday at EC in the rain and ABS allowed me to stay on the track. First time I've used it.

Are you concerned about the weight ? cant it be dissabled ? I'd imagine its illegal to remove if registered and driven on the road ? Potential issurance issues ?

Riced_Civic
08-06-2012, 11:39 AM
abs is fine on a race car, nothing wrong with that.

in saying that i dont have ABS on mine, i find that it has better brake feel with out ABS.

some may prefer ABS some may not.

SLOBRO
08-06-2012, 09:27 PM
My 2011 Civc is a trackcar/daily drive and its still has ABS, first thing I do is hit the VSA button which pretty much dissables traction control and ABS. Did a trackday at EC in the rain and ABS allowed me to stay on the track. First time I've used it.

Are you concerned about the weight ? cant it be dissabled ? I'd imagine its illegal to remove if registered and driven on the road ? Potential issurance issues ?

not coz of weight just wondering lol

SLOBRO
08-06-2012, 09:30 PM
abs is fine on a race car, nothing wrong with that.

in saying that i dont have ABS on mine, i find that it has better brake feel with out ABS.

some may prefer ABS some may not.

then i might try with it first b4 i remove it :)

senna
08-06-2012, 09:37 PM
When you are on the limit some abs systems can be a bit too intrusive, cutting in too early and not allowing you to hold peak braking force. It can also cause you to overspeed into a corner which is annoying when you are on a hot lap

SLOBRO
08-06-2012, 09:38 PM
thanks for the replies guys

SLOBRO
08-06-2012, 09:40 PM
When you are on the limit some abs systems can be a bit too intrusive, cutting in too early and not allowing you to hold peak braking force. It can also cause you to overspeed into a corner which is annoying when you are on a hot lap
now thats what i was worried about so what would i need to make it non abs or should i just disable it?

spetz
13-06-2012, 06:38 AM
Not sure about this but maybe you can disable your ABS by pulling a fuse out (confirm this) to give you an idea.
To be honest I would start with ABS and only remove it if I felt it is hindering me on track

senna
13-06-2012, 08:55 AM
now thats what i was worried about so what would i need to make it non abs or should i just disable it?

Whats the difference? whether you call it "Non ABS" or "Disabled ABS" you've done the same thing right?

Just as some advice in general:

First thing is first - get out on the track and see what happens. People spend too much time fitting a bunch of fancy gear or playing with set-up before they know how to drive on a track. Take your car as it is to a track, then do a few laps with a professional driver, then try to match his best lap. Until you can match his time you don't need any more upgrades...

mocchi
13-06-2012, 12:05 PM
Whats the difference? whether you call it "Non ABS" or "Disabled ABS" you've done the same thing right?

First thing is first - get out on the track and see what happens. People spend too much time fitting a bunch of fancy gear or playing with set-up before they know how to drive on a track. Take your car as it is to a track, then do a few laps with a professional driver, then try to match his best lap. Until you can match his time you don't need any more upgrades...

good advice m8
i will do this

DreadAngel
13-06-2012, 04:28 PM

I think he means Non ABS as in remove all the ABS gear completely while disable ABS by just removing the fuse or something along those lines?

OP - Like Senna mentioned previously, all ABS's are programmed differently and even ABS between same model can differ due to wear & tear, different tires/wheels, etc. Some are indeed intrusive, others will only attempt to save your from your own bravery =P

Best way to determine is to go out there and try it yourself ;) As you develop, you'll slowly figure out if the ABS helps you or a hindrance. I found for myself personally, non-ABS allowed me to perform much more delicate braking but I've had to work on getting myself use to modulate the brake pedals in emergencies instead of simply stomping on it. Pays to have a correctly selected brake setup and tires =)

JDM EP3
14-06-2012, 03:06 PM
I think he means Non ABS as in remove all the ABS gear completely while disable ABS by just removing the fuse or something along those lines?

OP - Like Senna mentioned previously, all ABS's are programmed differently and even ABS between same model can differ due to wear & tear, different tires/wheels, etc. Some are indeed intrusive, others will only attempt to save your from your own bravery =P

Best way to determine is to go out there and try it yourself ;) As you develop, you'll slowly figure out if the ABS helps you or a hindrance. I found for myself personally, non-ABS allowed me to perform much more delicate braking but I've had to work on getting myself use to modulate the brake pedals in emergencies instead of simply stomping on it. Pays to have a correctly selected brake setup and tires =)

Your foot and the amount of pressure you apply will determine if you are just as effective as ABS is

senna
14-06-2012, 03:14 PM
Your foot and the amount of pressure you applyduring extreme braking maneuvers and at different points of individual wheel speed will determine if you are just as effective as ABS is allowing you to change direction at peak braking without locking a wheel

Possibly a little more in depth....

mugen_ctr
14-06-2012, 07:10 PM
just outta curiosity any one tracked a EK or so with standard abs? Nxt month imma hit winton for first time so im curious if abs is helpful... On a DD basis, abs helps alot, its differences between saving a life and not... as ive had ABS sensor fail on me and ran no abs an locked the brakes twice and was driving low speed that was bad enough hahaha

SLOBRO
15-06-2012, 09:16 PM
just outta curiosity any one tracked a EK or so with standard abs? Nxt month imma hit winton for first time so im curious if abs is helpful... On a DD basis, abs helps alot, its differences between saving a life and not... as ive had ABS sensor fail on me and ran no abs an locked the brakes twice and was driving low speed that was bad enough hahaha
DD basis yes ABS is very good to have

senna
15-06-2012, 09:25 PM
Absolutely, i would never recommend that someone should remove ABS on their street car

SLOBRO
15-06-2012, 09:35 PM
Absolutely, i would never recommend that someone should remove ABS on their street car
not just that but you won't get a pink slip to register the car

senna
15-06-2012, 09:37 PM
Yes you are right