PDA

View Full Version : '06 Euro alternator problems

aldo10
09-06-2012, 05:18 PM
Hi folks. My wife rang me today due to the battery dash light coming on permanently whilst driving. She bought the car straight home and I ran a multi across the battery and voltage was 12.4. The battery is a 6 month old Century premium job. After starting the car again the voltage was lower and not rising at all.

She said there was a squealing coming from the engine bay which was intermittant whilst I listened.

I'm guessing a shot alternator but thought I would run it across you blokes ....

The vehicle is immac and has just hit 90K with a full Honda service history.

I have had a quick gander at the alt and can see one bolt which holds the top and two below. What I can't figure is how to back the tensioner off to remove the belt.

Any help please?

kristrifo
09-06-2012, 06:10 PM
your alternator is completely fried

it sounds like a squealing supercharger sound yea?

mine went out around 80k kms

take it to a sparkie, its about $400-500 for a refurbished one including install, if you want a new one youre looking at around 1k

aldo10
09-06-2012, 07:23 PM
I wasn't getting too much noise out of it but my wife said on the initial start up when the dash light came on that there was a constant whine/squeal.

What a pain to remove! Those two 12mm bottom bolts are a bugger. Then manouvering it out of a small space trying not to damage anything else is time consuming. I'll suss out some auto sparkys during the week for an overhaul.

Gotta say I am dissapointed with a 90k failure. My Landcruiser alt died at 300K and my Hilux is still going at 230K and they see offroad work plus many thousands of dusty kms

kristrifo
09-06-2012, 07:31 PM
i made my alternator fail prematurely cause i have a sound system in the car lol

but my mate's old man is a sparkie and he goes hes getting shitloads of cl9 euros come in around the 100k km mark with fried alternators

and the worst part is you can only fit an oem one

aldo10
09-06-2012, 07:38 PM
I found this youtube video which gave me the idea on the belt tensioner. The rest of the video is quite informative

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynph4KDSzQE

The 3 bolts which hold the alt on are 12mm and the two bottom ones are best attacked with flat ring spanners.
I found that removing the power steering reservoir and the small bracket which holds it to be very helpful. Also removing the power steering pump once the alt is free is the only way to get it out of the tight confine. The electrical plug into the headlight is best removed too.

Cheers

I'll let people know what sort of prices I get for a reco during the week.

MiSloVic
11-06-2012, 01:19 AM
i made my alternator fail prematurely cause i have a sound system in the car lol

but my mate's old man is a sparkie and he goes hes getting shitloads of cl9 euros come in around the 100k km mark with fried alternators

and the worst part is you can only fit an oem one

the alternator in my 06 euro fried 2 weeks ago as well. there in a non Honda alternator available. had it fixed at a Honda dealership for 850.

aldo10
11-06-2012, 07:23 PM
I have found one aftermarket job just scouring the net. It's the OEX brand. There have been others but can't see the make. The variation on prices is amazing!! So far the dearest non genuine has been $1230 supplied. I notice they are a dime a dozen in the States for around $250 from Honda dealers.

aldo10
12-06-2012, 07:46 PM
I have found new OEX alternators from a supplier in Brissy for $515 supplied which includes tax. I also found remanufactured Denso units reworked by Denso using genuine parts for $550 inclusive. These are both supplied figures as I have removed the old unit.

kristrifo
12-06-2012, 10:44 PM
sus out reco alternators, youll save some good $$$

SLOBRO
12-06-2012, 11:05 PM
make sure to disconnect the battery if you do try removing it

aldo10
14-06-2012, 10:24 AM
I had a chat to a local Honda mob and they confirmed the $1200 supply only of the genuine item. They do fit a replacement aftermarket unit for $748 drive in/out if you are not handy on the spanners and prefer to leave it to the experts.