PDA

View Full Version : QLD mod plates and max engine increase

IVTECI
10-06-2012, 05:31 PM
What are the qld legislation for engine swap max increase?

So example;

Civic 99 oem is 1.6L.

I want to put k20 or k24

Will i need a mod plate? And is a mod plate enough to register the engine and car? Or do i also need supporting engineers cert?

No trolling answers pls.

Thanks

simply.shredded
10-06-2012, 05:35 PM
Hey mate
For that particular example you would need a mod plate
And once you got the mod plate, you can register the engine to the car

IVTECI
10-06-2012, 05:37 PM
Hey mate
For that particular example you would need a mod plate
And once you got the mod plate, you can register the engine to the car

Will i need an engineers certificate first b4 i go to an "approved/authorized" inspector for the white slip?

Or just bring the car and engine receipt to these inspectors and pass white slip n mod plate embedded?

simply.shredded
10-06-2012, 05:44 PM
Will i need an engineers certificate first b4 i go to an "approved/authorized" inspector for the white slip?

Or just bring the car and engine receipt to these inspectors and pass white slip n mod plate embedded?

I know to get mine "legal" all I took to transfer was the mod slip And a transfer of Rego because that's what was happening at that time

IVTECI
10-06-2012, 06:19 PM
Thanks dude,

Need more real examples...

IVTECI
11-06-2012, 12:12 PM
Anyone else has their HP kswap mod plated??

jdm18c
11-06-2012, 01:47 PM
you will need at least an enginners cert

IVTECI
11-06-2012, 03:37 PM
you will need at least an enginners cert

In qld? It doesnt say an engineers cert is required in their handbook.

It says as long as it passes white slip n mob plate.

Still need 100% confirmation from some1 who had to do this with their kswap

IVTECI
12-06-2012, 07:40 AM
No one else has kswap or h22 in their ek civic and got mod plate??

84AAP
12-06-2012, 01:44 PM
Hey dude, in QLD, I had to get my h22 eg registered in queensland, because i bought it from nsw, there fore i needed new rego, so I got a mod plater to come out to my place, mod plate my h22 in my eg, and he gave me some papers and a mod plate in the engine bay, and coz i needed new rego, i had to get it road worthied and with the road worthy cert and mod plate papers, i was able to rego the car with that engine. Simple as dat, just ask the mod plater if he supples modification certificate.

IVTECI
12-06-2012, 03:13 PM
Hey dude, in QLD, I had to get my h22 eg registered in queensland, because i bought it from nsw, there fore i needed new rego, so I got a mod plater to come out to my place, mod plate my h22 in my eg, and he gave me some papers and a mod plate in the engine bay, and coz i needed new rego, i had to get it road worthied and with the road worthy cert and mod plate papers, i was able to rego the car with that engine. Simple as dat, just ask the mod plater if he supples modification certificate.

Now thats a more precise answer! thanks dude.

Now this "mod plater" which i assume is the QLD transports "Approve Inspectors" provides these mod plates. So this modification certificate are the papers that came with the mod plates right?

mechanical workshops are the guys who do road worthy certificates (white slip) and mod plates as well - am i right to say this? or they can be mobile as well. (come to you).

84AAP
12-06-2012, 03:30 PM
Now thats a more precise answer! thanks dude.

Now this "mod plater" which i assume is the QLD transports "Approve Inspectors" provides these mod plates. So this modification certificate are the papers that came with the mod plates right?

mechanical workshops are the guys who do road worthy certificates (white slip) and mod plates as well - am i right to say this? or they can be mobile as well. (come to you).

QLD transport "approved inspectors" are generally safety/roadworthy certificate issuers, you may find some that do mod plates but very rarely, Mod platers are usually 'Free Lancers' and is something they do in their part time or companies that specifically do mod plates.

For example, here is a quick search i did, and this is what came up:
http://www.hotfrog.com.au/Companies/DB-Autotech

There are other ones, so its best to shop around, some will try to screw you by saying one mod per plate, but u can get some that put 4 mods per plate etc. The guy that did mine was a free lancer and he said he'll put as many as he can on the one plate, and cost me bout $80, but unfortunately, My iphone was stolen when i was in thailand, and i lost his number... Look around and just ask them when you get your quotes and make sure that they will give you the modification certificate/papers, because when you go to QLD transport, showng them a mod plate is no good, you need to show them the papers. Good luck wit it all!

IVTECI
12-06-2012, 04:55 PM
QLD transport "approved inspectors" are generally safety/roadworthy certificate issuers, you may find some that do mod plates but very rarely, Mod platers are usually 'Free Lancers' and is something they do in their part time or companies that specifically do mod plates.

For example, here is a quick search i did, and this is what came up:
http://www.hotfrog.com.au/Companies/DB-Autotech

There are other ones, so its best to shop around, some will try to screw you by saying one mod per plate, but u can get some that put 4 mods per plate etc. The guy that did mine was a free lancer and he said he'll put as many as he can on the one plate, and cost me bout $80, but unfortunately, My iphone was stolen when i was in thailand, and i lost his number... Look around and just ask them when you get your quotes and make sure that they will give you the modification certificate/papers, because when you go to QLD transport, showng them a mod plate is no good, you need to show them the papers. Good luck wit it all!

Thanks champ, ill ring around,

There used to be a workshop in burleigh heads that did all and on the spot. They did check the usual white slip requirements just like pink slips jn syd. But he was kool mod plating my old beast.

Are there any types of mods that cant be mod plated? I knw there are some but cant recall.

So do u think a ek civic with a kswap will pass? All work is done correctly.

84AAP
12-06-2012, 05:05 PM
Thanks champ, ill ring around,

There used to be a workshop in burleigh heads that did all and on the spot. They did check the usual white slip requirements just like pink slips jn syd. But he was kool mod plating my old beast.

Are there any types of mods that cant be mod plated? I knw there are some but cant recall.

So do u think a ek civic with a kswap will pass? All work is done correctly.

Yeah should be alrite, as long as the engine has been put in properly u shouldnt have a problem, but as far as i know, u can modplate just about anything, u will have to find out in detail though from someone more experienced, I dont know too much in that field. All the best! Hope my wisdom has helped you...

IVTECI
12-06-2012, 05:12 PM
Yeah should be alrite, as long as the engine has been put in properly u shouldnt have a problem, but as far as i know, u can modplate just about anything, u will have to find out in detail though from someone more experienced, I dont know too much in that field. All the best! Hope my wisdom has helped you...

Yeh thanks for the help +1.

If u find the number or the name of that mobile dude let me knw.

Forgot to ask- is there such thing as engineers cert in qld like what they have in syd or the mod plate papers are the equivalent?

84AAP
13-06-2012, 09:34 AM
Yeh thanks for the help +1.

If u find the number or the name of that mobile dude let me knw.

Forgot to ask- is there such thing as engineers cert in qld like what they have in syd or the mod plate papers are the equivalent?

No engineers cert. in QLD. Mod papers are the equivalent.

IVTECI
13-06-2012, 09:52 AM
No engineers cert. in QLD. Mod papers are the equivalent.

champion!

+1 - You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to 84AAP again. fuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!! LOL

if you do find the mobs number or company name let me know champ!

cheers!

IVTECI
13-06-2012, 11:11 AM
Spoke to a TMR light vehicle officer who said i just need the LA1 code for me k motor!! He even said i shouldnt any have issues.

84AAP
14-06-2012, 12:25 PM
yeah man, there is only codes on a modplate, i got bout 4 codes on mine. Duno what the codes stand for tho.

IVTECI
14-06-2012, 02:47 PM
here is the current MOD Plate codes

LIGHT VEHICLE MODIFICATION CODES FOR APPROVED PERSONS

CODE MODIFICATION
LA1 Engine Substitution
LA3 Turbocharger and Supercharger Installation
LB1 Transmission Substitution
LD1 Rear Axle Replacement
LD2 Differential Substitution
LG1 Brake System Substitution (Design)
LG2 Brake System Substitution (Modification)
LH1 Convertible and Cabriolet Conversion (Design)
LH2 Convertible and Cabriolet Conversion (Modification)
LH3 Passenger Vehicle Extended Wheelbase Conversion (Design)
LH4 Passenger Vehicle Extended Wheelbase Conversion (Modification)
LH5 Individual and Low Volume Vehicles (Design)
LH6 Individual and Low Volume Vehicles (Modification)
LH7 Panel Van to Utility Conversion
LH8 Roll Bar and Roll Cage Installation
LH9 Street Rod Certification (Concessional Registration)
LH10 Street Rod Certification (Unrestricted Registration)
LK1 Seating Capacity Alteration and Seat Belt Installation
LK2 Seat, Seat Anchorage and Seat Belt Anchorage Certification
LK6 Child Restraint Anchorage Installation
LK7 Motorcycle Seating Capacity Alteration
LM1 Fuel Tank Alteration
LO1 Australian Design Rule (ADR) Compliance
LO2 Pre 1972 Imported Vehicle Safety Compliance
LO3 Personally Imported Vehicle Compliance
LS1 Steering Conversion (Design)
LS2 Steering Conversion (Modification)
LT1 Beaming and Torsional Testing

apparently i need LA1 - option 2 for kswap codes.

84AAP
14-06-2012, 02:56 PM
+1 thats awesome!

GSi_PSi
25-06-2012, 08:42 PM
say you had your K swap modplated and registered (QLD) and were then to tranfer the registration to nsw, would the engine still be registered as a 2.0L or 2.4 , say it originally had a B16a?

very curious to this one

IVTECI
25-06-2012, 10:05 PM
say you had your K swap modplated and registered (QLD) and were then to tranfer the registration to nsw, would the engine still be registered as a 2.0L or 2.4 , say it originally had a B16a?

very curious to this one

if the new engine was registered in QLD and then you transfer to NSW, then RTA will have the new engine number recorded in their database as well as written on the RTA rego papers.

But there is still that risk of being defected by not having an engineers certificate in NSW - as the MOD plates are only valid if the vehicle was registered /operated on QLD roads.

84AAP
04-07-2012, 01:46 PM
By the way, i found the number of the guy that did my modplate, His details below, he will fit as many mods as he can on a single plate.

Name: Andrew
Working Area: Brisbane, QLD
Price: $80-$100 (depends on where you live, price may of went up now, call and get a quote)
Number: 0402 293 256

IV73CI
05-07-2012, 07:11 PM
By the way, i found the number of the guy that did my modplate, His details below, he will fit as many mods as he can on a single plate.

Name: Andrew
Working Area: Brisbane, QLD
Price: $80-$100 (depends on where you live, price may of went up now, call and get a quote)
Number: 0402 293 256

good info here guise