PDA

View Full Version : carbon fibre vinyl?

Goku
10-06-2012, 08:05 PM
Hey guys, was just wondering if any of yous have ever bought this carbon fibre vinyl to wrap the hood for a carbon fibre look. Since the real carbon fibre is illegal here in SA and also cause my hood has some paint fade on it which annoys me I was wondering if its worth it? Got a quote to have my hood re-sprayed but it costs a bit too much for atm as I'm only in high school AMD only earn like $120 a week. Plus I didn't want to re-spray it just incase it didn't turn out to be the same as the rest of the car. On top of that the paint is gonna be used is only tupac. Cheers guys.

HmGLuCaS
10-06-2012, 08:24 PM
i have brought this carbon firbre u say of, 3M? It is a cheap alternative to painting ur car imo. I brought 5m by 2 for 80 bucks, wrapped my bonnet so far and plan to do roof and spoiler. My car is black and is hard to see, be best on a white car or something that black stands out on. Overall, it wont look and feel like real carbon firbre, if you r strap for cash, it would be the cheap alternative. Hope my opinion shines some light on your questions. If you want pictures, just let me know ill take some and post for u.

-Tom
10-06-2012, 09:06 PM
I bought some of the cheap alternative off eBay. It looks similar to 3M's carbon fibre wrap, but I'm guessing it's not as hardy.
I had some put on my door pillars and after the Summer, it started to bubble and lift off from the metal. It was fine for a long time prior to that though, but if your car is parked on the street like mine is I suggest you go for the good stuff.

Goku
10-06-2012, 11:30 PM
i also forgot to mention that my car is white. im still thinking if its worth it though. cause i also found the wrap thing in white. dont know if thats better? and i my car is normally parked in my garage or when i go to school its parked like under the trees. thats about it.

mytfoz
11-06-2012, 12:07 AM
well you can go the wrap.
i went overseas and came back with some carbon wrap for a mate and i wanted to try it out myself.
so i wrapped my Window door garnish thing. its been a yr also. but was removed like 6ish months or more. still in good nice. no signs of peel.
its been sitting in the sun and rain since i removed it.

Indie
11-06-2012, 12:44 AM
Honestly, fake carbon fibre wrap never looks anything like actual carbon fibre, and is always going to look cheap and tacky. I know you're looking for a cheap option, but I don't think I could ever justify this. That's just my opinion, of course, but I'd sooner have faded paint.

Goku
11-06-2012, 01:22 AM
okay thanks guys. i know it doesnt look as good as the real carbon fibre stuff but i think it would look much better than the obvious paint fade and since re spraying my hood is not an option for me at the moment, i might just proceed with the wrap. but i, not too sure about the colour though because there is also a white version of it and ive never seen one before.

mytfoz
11-06-2012, 01:46 AM
just go with what you like.
wrap it. if it looks shit then respray.

Indie
11-06-2012, 03:21 AM
okay thanks guys. i know it doesnt look as good as the real carbon fibre stuff but i think it would look much better than the obvious paint fade and since re spraying my hood is not an option for me at the moment, i might just proceed with the wrap. but i, not too sure about the colour though because there is also a white version of it and ive never seen one before.I don't know mate, it sounds like the perfect opportunity to spray it yourself!

mytfoz
11-06-2012, 04:55 AM
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/masonry/000/214/751/HatersGonnaHateYoshi.jpg

give him a break. if he likes it then thats all good. at the end of the day its his car not your.
not everyone can afford a carbon bonnet or a bonnet respray. as he said his only a student and only earn about $120 a week.
he might like it after he wraps the bonnet and might look good so who knows.

Indie
11-06-2012, 06:40 AM
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/masonry/000/214/751/HatersGonnaHateYoshi.jpg

give him a break. if he likes it then thats all good. at the end of the day its his car not your.
not everyone can afford a carbon bonnet or a bonnet respray. as he said his only a student and only earn about $120 a week.
he might like it after he wraps the bonnet and might look good so who knows.Yes... and he asked for opinions and advice?

"It might look good so who knows" - That's exactly what he's asking: who knows? Well, the people who have responded seem to know how it will look, otherwise they wouldn't have replied.

Nobody is hating here, simply providing the feedback that was requested. Maybe you should stick to doing the same, instead of posting useless rubbish.

(P.S. It's 'he's only a student', not 'his only a student'. He is, not his own. He is a student. He's a student. And before you reply with some 'grammar Nazi' crap, I'm not trying to make you feel inferior, I'm just giving you a pointer.)

MACDOG
11-06-2012, 09:53 AM
Each to their own, if cash is an issue for you, it may be worth having a look at a wreckers, they MAY have a spare hood there, in your colour..
The going rate for a hood is around the $100 mark I believe?

Good luck

androo
11-06-2012, 10:50 AM
If I was in your position and you like the carbon wrap look, go for it. I would NOT go for the white wrap as colour wise, it is unlikely to match the rest of your car. Nor would it shine the same way. Though if I was doing it and had a few extra bucks I would do the roof, too.

connorling
11-06-2012, 01:55 PM
thats my carbon fibre bonnet before it got damage
http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r500/hks071/old21.png

the surface got damaged, so i got some carbon wrap:
http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r500/hks071/carbonwrap1.jpg
http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r500/hks071/carbonwrap2.png

its not as shinning with the wrap as the carbon fibre.

ericl33
11-06-2012, 02:00 PM
groce

-Tom
11-06-2012, 02:54 PM
Indie is right, it looks nothing like real carbon fibre and it's quite obvious it's a wrap.
I was toying with the idea of spraying a few coats of clear coat on the wrap to give it the shine and smooth layer over the top like the real stuff but I never got around to doing it.

As for the white carbon fibre wrap, I wouldn't.

androo
11-06-2012, 03:11 PM
There is a guy who tried to clear coat the 3M carbon wrap. It turns out that the carbon wrap ends up just looking black. It looks 'real' due to how line 'reflects' off the textured surface. Once you make it smooth, this effect is gone and no longer looks 'real'.

Guys, before you knock the look too much, have any of you seen dry carbon fibre? While I won't say it looks identical, I would say it looks pretty damn close.

aaronng
11-06-2012, 03:11 PM
The carbon fibre wrap looks like dry carbon. It does not look like the cheaper wet carbon that you are used to seeing.

pihlor
24-07-2012, 04:05 PM
i had the 3m carbon fiber vinyl put on my hood by a professional almost 2 years ago. After about a year it looked terrible as it was going white on the edges. (probably from the car wax) and from the engine heat the corners where warped i tried my best to keep it away from the elements as well and i tried to remove it and it ended up ruining my hood paint so i don't think i would do it again. My avatar is what my EG used to look like

GU357
24-07-2012, 06:46 PM
as said it looks nothing like the real deal. I've heard of people spraying clear on it to give it a smoother looking finish though, but at the end of the day that 3m stuff is good for Europe (which is where its tested) if your in Australia the stuff peels off after a couple years.

dont put it on any surface which is in contact with the sun, and then never park it outside...
the ausy sun just rapes that stuff

aaronng
24-07-2012, 11:17 PM
i had the 3m carbon fiber vinyl put on my hood by a professional almost 2 years ago. After about a year it looked terrible as it was going white on the edges. (probably from the car wax) and from the engine heat the corners where warped i tried my best to keep it away from the elements as well and i tried to remove it and it ended up ruining my hood paint so i don't think i would do it again. My avatar is what my EG used to look like

Did you use a hair dryer when trying to remove the film?

pihlor
25-07-2012, 09:06 AM
Did you use a hair dryer when trying to remove the film?
yeh i did used a heat gun

aaronng
25-07-2012, 02:23 PM
yeh i did used a heat gun

I wonder why your paint failed. Because as a MotorEx stunt, they actually carbon vinyl-ed a Ferrari (don't ask me why) and then took it off later without damage. Could be that the paint on your car had been resprayed before and the previous coating was not properly removed or the base coat was not cured sufficiently before the clear coat was applied.

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/s720x720/600169_408141275888823_1803411597_n.jpg

GU357
25-07-2012, 06:21 PM
maybe the vinyl trapped heat under it which wrecked the paint.
or it was in a bad state before

androo
25-07-2012, 09:29 PM
Most likely poor paint condition prior to wrapping. Even a few small chips create major weak spots in the paint.