PDA

View Full Version : CL9 ciggie lighter to remote for amp

eurobix
11-06-2012, 10:07 AM
hi guys i've looked and couldn't find any posts about this. Im putting in an amp and sub into my 05 CL9 using a hi level converter with the rca's as im using stock headunit. Only problem is i need to connect the blue cable (remote) to a power source.i know people tap this into the back of the ciggie lighter, but theres a whole bunch of wires connected by a clip. Does anyone know which cable i can connect the remote cable to so i can get the amp to turn on?? Thanks guys

androo
11-06-2012, 10:51 AM
Sorry I can't really help you much but do you have a multimeter? If so just connect it to whichever wire has 12V?

eurobix
11-06-2012, 12:41 PM
no i don't have one :( i really should get one though, they do come in handy. I just wonder if anyone on here thats set up their sub and amp in their cl9 this way that can help me out :(

androo
11-06-2012, 01:06 PM
Sure. Sorry can't help you any further then. You can buy a multimeter online for less than $10 online though if you plan on grabbing one =D

aaronng
11-06-2012, 03:15 PM
There are 2 wires coming out of the back of the ciggie lighter. Use a test light and identify which one is 12V and which is ground. Tap the 12V and connect it to your remote wire.

eurobix
11-06-2012, 03:29 PM
so the 2 wires, are these connected to a clip thats connected to the back of the lighter?? also did you have to take the dash apart or did you just pull out the part next to the lighter that has the silver tray thing??

aaronng
11-06-2012, 05:14 PM
so the 2 wires, are these connected to a clip thats connected to the back of the lighter?? also did you have to take the dash apart or did you just pull out the part next to the lighter that has the silver tray thing??

Yes, it is connected to a clip which goes on to the back of the lighter. First you pull out the ashtray, pull out the trim around the gear shifter, then undo the 2 screws that is in the gear shifter area and 3 screws which is in the ashtray area. Then you carefully pull out the center storage compartment while the cover is closed and you can get access to the area behind the ciggie lighter.

zafeniak
14-06-2012, 11:56 AM
Connecting the remote wire to the back of the cigarette lighter is a no no - Why?

There would be 2 wires with an active current - AC (As the Cig lighter only turns on while the accesories are on) and the Light.

You have 4 options:

1) Connect the remote wire to the AC wire (NOTE - your amp will remain on even though your stereo will be switched off as it is not receiving the signal from the stereo)

2) COnnect the Amp to the cig lighter light wire (AMp will only be when you have the lights on - Kind of stupid)

3) Buy an amp with a High Level input (This was the amp will receive it's signal from the speaker wires and you will not need to run a remote wire)

4) Find the correct wire using a multimeter on the back of the head unit (This will take the longest to do, but would be the correct way of doing things) Basically, connect the mutimeter up to each wire, and look for a change when turning your stereo on and off.

Good Luck.

zafeniak
14-06-2012, 12:02 PM
Just incase you want to hook up an amp with HIGH level input, I made a thread about the speaker polarity so you can get the speaker phasing correct.

Cheers.