PDA

View Full Version : Reducing cabin drone from performance exhaust...

drunkenmaster_vic
11-06-2012, 11:05 PM
I like the performance of the exhaust but not the noise!! The drone is unbearable, just did a 4hr trip to and back... gave me a jaw ache and ear ache.

My story:

Just purchased a full stainless cat-back exhaust ($$$!!). The thing is an absolute machine, quality product, nice deep burble and noise... BUT the drone and in cabin noise is way too much. The makers promote driver comfort and sounds that are equal to almost stock! I got none of this...

I did inspect the undercarriage and there are some points where the exhaust comes very close to the body, i'm not sure if it's touching.

What are my options if I want to minimise the drone and cabin noise, currently my solutions:

- A custom silencer for the long trips? ... How would this be made up, and would it affect the car if it was tuned with the full exhaust without restrictors/silencers?
- Sound deading, insulation
- Modifiying the exhaust? It is full stainless steel and really don't wanna touch it... but if worse comes to worse what would be the solution, another resonator? I looked at the stock and aftermarket exhausts... designs look similar, is it because of the enlarged diameter of 1/2" that causes more noise?

Please help, this is really stressing me out lol... want everything but the incabin noise.

Thanks

EKVTIR-T
11-06-2012, 11:07 PM
What does the system comprise of now? Which mufflers and resonators? A pic of the full system would help

drunkenmaster_vic
11-06-2012, 11:11 PM
What does the system comprise of now? Which mufflers and resonators? A pic of the full system would help

+ 2 1/2” 304 STAINLESS PIPEWORK, 4x FLANGES
+ 1x 5” DIA. ROUND POLISHED STAINLESS STEEL CUSTOM RESONATOR
+ 1x MIRROR POLSHED S.S. CUSTOM OVAL MUFFLER WITH SINGLE OUTLET
+ SINGLE 3” POLISHED S.S. CUSTOM TIP

No picture unfortunately at the moment.

mugen_ctr
11-06-2012, 11:15 PM
did u really believe that a aftermarket exhaust is gonna b same level of sound as oem exhaust? lol Anything bigger than oem size is goin to be considerable louder than stock sound levels..

what type of exhaust and muffler is it?

How many mufflers are u running and resonators in ur system?

Whats the muffler u running? oval, cannon, twinloop?

Stainless steel system is known to be loud as the material thickness is quite thin.

IMO u need to learn to live with it.... OR like u said, modify it. Resonators wont help with sound levels, only reduces the drone... So what u need is a bigger and better muffler to reduce the sound levels... Most aftermarket system that are relative quite use the same design as OEM, in that they use 2 mufflers and a resonator to help reduce sound levels but also increase performance

EKVTIR-T
11-06-2012, 11:17 PM
Ok so its a hotdog/resonator and a single real muffler.

I would swap the resonator with a straight through muffler,provided you have the room.Something with a more substantial chamber around it

something like this
http://www.sr20-forum.com/usergallery/4654af46cd2059f9.jpg

it has the same internal flow path as a resonator but better sound reduction from the larger body

DarkAgent
11-06-2012, 11:18 PM
Ear plugs.

Turn your stereo up.

SLOBRO
11-06-2012, 11:34 PM
get a twin loop muffler my cousin has it on his Ek it sounds nice and not drony at all
it has X-Force headers stock cat and mild steel straight pipe into a X-force twinloop sounds very nice and the more you rev it the quieter it gets lol