PDA

View Full Version : CL9 possible electrical problem? Help!

dale_s15
12-06-2012, 11:41 AM
Hi guys.. this might be a bit detailed but any help would be appreciated. The car is a 2006 CL9 Auto Lux with Nav. 87k km on it after the trip and not due for its service at Honda until 90k km.

I went away on the weekend to Hervey Bay from Brisbane. The drive was close to four hours. About 2 hours into the drive when stopping for food (we'd only stopped about 10 mins prior at the servo to switch drivers.. no fuel was refilled) as we were waiting to drive into the driveway of KFC the NAV screen suddenly turned off aswell as the screen above that which tells the time, radio station, air con temps etc and the all Speedo gauges flickered and went up and down (eg fuel tank went down to empty then back up to almost full) then the "Check System" message came up on the trip computer... and then everything went back to normal.. we were just pulling in for food so we went inside to eat and then came back to the car 15mins later and everything was fine again and there were no further problems for the rest of the drive.

Then yesterday when we just got back into Brisbane when we were on the highway this time the NAV screen randomly turned off and the temp screen above the NAV flickered.. the NAV screen then came back on itself and once pressing 'OK' it went back to normal.. about 30 seconds later it did it again.. this time the speedo went from 100 and dropped back down to 80 then shot back up to 100. The NAV screen proceeded to turn on and off about 3 times.. after that everything was fine for about 10-15 mins and we came off the highway and were doing about 60-70 and all of a sudden the car did it again.. the NAV screen turned off and all the gauges went funny and it felt like the engine cut out.. as the accelorator didnt provide any power for about 2 seconds and then all of a sudden it cut back in and the revs jumped to about 4500rpm from 2000rpm. It was about a further 10-15 min drive home and nothing else happened with the car.

Can anyone suggest what this might be? I'm not in a rush to take it to Honda and get it sorted as the car is lucky to be used once a week if that. From Friday to Monday (yesterday) i covered about 1100KM of mainly highway driving. I've had the car since November and from then to now including the trip i just did the car has only done 7000km in this time.

I don't know if its worth mentioning but both times its done this, Saturday and yesterday it was raining, the dual zone climate control was on, an ipod connector was plugged into the power outlet (doesnt usually get used - thought this might be effecting it but i took it out and the car still did it about 10 mins later) Headlights and foglights were on and windscreen wipers.

Thanks for your help!

Fredoops
12-06-2012, 11:49 AM
1, How old was the battery, is it a serviceable battery? If so, when was the last time you put water in it?

2, Check your grounds.

dale_s15
12-06-2012, 01:18 PM
1, How old was the battery, is it a serviceable battery? If so, when was the last time you put water in it?

2, Check your grounds.

Thanks. After reading this it made me realise that the terminal probably isn't on tight enough after I reset the ECU last week and had probably come loose.

Fuel consumption has improved :)

Fredoops
12-06-2012, 01:59 PM
Thanks. After reading this it made me realise that the terminal probably isn't on tight enough after I reset the ECU last week and had probably come loose.

Fuel consumption has improved :)

*smug look*

http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lyl716jlep1qfjej5o1_400.gif

dale_s15
14-06-2012, 09:05 AM
*smug look*

http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lyl716jlep1qfjej5o1_400.gif

I tightened the terminal but whilst i was there i realised the battery is quite small.. its 355ca where as the battery in our other Car, a Lexus Es300 is huge in comparison - 600ca aswell as our 2006 2.4L Mitsubishi Lancer work car - it also has a 600ca battery. Is this battery the right size for the Euro?? it seems far too small for a big-ish car with so many electrical components!