PDA

View Full Version : Is it safe to drive if there's only water on the radiator and reservoir?

dak_air
12-06-2012, 12:33 PM
Hi Guys,

I would just like to know if it is safe to drive if there's only water on the radiator and reservoir?
As my reservoir exploded and made the radiator drained?
Can you please advise what I can do to prevent overheating?

I just replaced the reservoir and just put water from the time being.

**What type of coolant do I have to buy?
Civic 98 eJ8

Thanks in advance.

Timothy
12-06-2012, 12:36 PM
It is Safe to drive with just water in the radiator for now,
If left for a extended period of time it will start to cause corrosion though

So just swap it out with coolant as soon as you can it will be all good.

Super-DA9
12-06-2012, 12:58 PM
grab a 5L bottle of tectaloy 90 plus from supercheap for $19.99. good stuff :thumbsup:

dak_air
12-06-2012, 01:05 PM
Thanks for the reply guys...
Just to make sure does the reservoir needs just water or coolant as well?

ericl33
12-06-2012, 01:05 PM
coolant.

butterfingers
12-06-2012, 01:17 PM
coolant
water isnt as effective
if you idle for awhile it might overheat again

Super-DA9
12-06-2012, 01:18 PM
make sure to completely drain the system before refilling with coolant.

chauster
12-06-2012, 02:15 PM
difference is coolant doesn't boil and water obviously does. it's fine to run temporary but change if asap

Super-DA9
12-06-2012, 03:23 PM
difference is coolant doesn't boil and water obviously does. it's fine to run temporary but change if asap

and water causes metal to corrode and coolant doesn't (corrosion inhibitor)

connorling
12-06-2012, 03:31 PM
Water is fine for short time. If u r scare of overheating, then turn the heater to full.

grifty
12-06-2012, 03:49 PM

Coolant does boil, just just boils at a higher temperature.

Don't get coolant with only anti corrosion, you need coolant with anti corrosion, anti boil & anti freeze. I would recommend you go with Nulon coolant.

IVTECI
12-06-2012, 05:04 PM
I think what u need to identify b4 going out buying coolant is what caused your coolant reservoir explode!

Its obvious that there was too much heat and engine overheated due to a number of things.

If ur going to buy coolant - buy two 5L bottles incase u leak again and a new/2nd reservoir.

Inspect or replace your thermostat while your at it. Unless u knw exactly when it was last changed.

Gl bud

Drifter995
12-06-2012, 05:46 PM
Sadly, I've been running water in my car for quite some time now... It still runs, doesn't overheat, but goes a murky brown colour though... proof of corrosion :/ I really need to get coolant myself...

dougie_504
12-06-2012, 11:21 PM
Water is actually better for the cooling purposes of the setup when compared to the coolent - however the coolant obviously reduces the risk of freezing/boiling/corrosion.

1/3 coolant and 2/3 water is my preferred mix. Most coolant mixtures are fine. The Tectaloy is really good I've been using that in my CRX for over a year now, however I just went with the Bursons brand concentrate for my Civic.

Fix the issue and add some coolant/flush system as soon as you can get around to it mate.

SLOBRO
12-06-2012, 11:39 PM
coolant
water isnt as effective
if you idle for awhile it might overheat again
actually water keeps it cooler most taxies have water only n no coolant

butterfingers
13-06-2012, 11:19 AM
actually water keeps it cooler most taxies have water only n no coolant

there u go
learn something new everyday
so coolant is for the anti boil/freeze/corrosive properties right?

mocchi
13-06-2012, 11:57 AM
there u go

das rye bread

EJ1
13-06-2012, 12:20 PM
there u go

To answer your question yes that's correct, The minerals and elements in water which are found in there as you know will corrode your cooling system very quickly..

migoreng
13-06-2012, 01:35 PM
Edit. Read the posts again.

When you bought the overflow tank you didn't buy coolant? :P

amant02
20-06-2012, 02:07 AM
Lol, I have ran my eg wit nothing in the radiator lol, It made a few trips to bankstown-ingleburn. I didn't realise till I did my usual inspection when i do my full tanks Wednesday morning. Fked the radiator thou, fins of the radi turned black and a few bent but it still worked. Using water wit coolant is the best way to go. I like it to be 50/50, also carry a premixed 2L bottle(I use a coke bottle, as it seals off) in your boot if your making a long trip. All coolants pretty much the same I think (we did a test in chemistry class)
Australian Conditions water will be sufficient, its a problem when your in a country where temperatures drop below 3, as water starts to chill. Reason why some luxury cars come with a heater that you connect to a power point over night keeps the coolant at a good temp.

Super-DA9
20-06-2012, 07:39 AM
All coolants pretty much the same I think (we did a test in chemistry class)

If all coolant is the same then why can't you mix red and green? and why are certain coolants alloy head safe while others are not?

IVTECI
20-06-2012, 09:36 AM
If all coolant is the same then why can't you mix red and green? and why are certain coolants alloy head safe while others are not?

Its all business marketing and profitable gains etc.

Thats just how we do!

dak_air
20-06-2012, 07:43 PM
Hi Guys,

Just an update...my reservoir and hose exploded again...

**I flush radiator and drained it.
Put coolant (Tectaloy) and got a new reservoir (fill with coolant as well)

Couple of days it went fine as there is no leaking on it..
2 days ago i've noticed that reservoir seem to be going down...
i've noticed temperature gets up to the middle pretty quickly, but it does not go over the middle part...
Went to check it again tonight and found that it exploded again even there's enough coolant on radiator and reservoir?

Can you please help what to do or do I miss anything when I flush the system?

Thanks in advance...

IVTECI
20-06-2012, 08:21 PM
Sounds like a BHG.

But where does the water/coolant go? Any leaks?

Get a compression test done.

Do u get smoke out of the muffler even when the engine is warm?

Check your oil cap for a milky looking deposits.

Did u burp the system properlly?

When the system is full of coolant, with the radiator cap off - does it boil/bubble? Or the water in the reservoir boil/bubble?

I dont recommend u drive it bra until u get the above analysed.

EJ1
20-06-2012, 09:28 PM
+1 Check if you have bled the system properly and turn the heater on whilst doing so..

SLOBRO
20-06-2012, 09:44 PM
not bleeding will not blow a radiator hose man if you cant see leaks anywhere then must be a head gasket problem but still get it checked by a mechanic

IVTECI
20-06-2012, 11:20 PM
not bleeding will not blow a radiator hose man if you cant see leaks anywhere then must be a head gasket problem but still get it checked by a mechanic

Dont think hes blowing radiator hoses, his reservoir is exploding due to coolant is over boiling and causing too much heat pressure in the system.

Rather than the coolant circulating, if he has a leak or a BHG or crack in the sleeve, itll cause all the pressure/heat towards the reservoir as its not a sealed component.

The radiator tank itself may have a small amount of coolant but its all going towards the reservoir.

This is what happened to my b20vtec.