PDA

View Full Version : [CL9] Battery terminal connector loose

Softcox
12-06-2012, 01:35 PM
I was topping up my battery today and cleaning the terminals after having some problems starting my euro (see aus euro Facebook page and my thread here (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?162798-CL9-Immobiliser-problems)).

I noticed when hooking the battery back up the negative lead attaches nice and tightly but the positive is still sort of loose even with the nut tightened all the way. Car seems OK but you could pull the lead off with your hands while it's tightened.

It's almost like the metal part of the connector is slightly out of shape or something so it's not making a perfect grip even when it's fully tightened.

Any ideas? Rather not pay for new wiring if possible!

aaronng
12-06-2012, 03:21 PM
If you are using a different branded battery, the battery terminal size can be slightly different. On my battery, the negative terminal was too fat to fit my negative terminal on! Had to get creative. In your case, I'd slightly bend the positive battery clamp into an oval shape so that it can attach tighter to the terminal.

Fredoops
12-06-2012, 03:23 PM
Corrosion maybe?, well the battery terminal bit is really soft... rigous cleaning would actually shave enough metal off the darn thing to reduce it's size (as i found out the hard way)

Eitherway, you'd better off replacing the clamp thingy with something better.

Honda's OEM clamp is rubbish to say the least.

ericl33
12-06-2012, 03:25 PM
or you can shove something metal in between the terminal and the connector.

Fredoops
12-06-2012, 03:31 PM
a new terminal clamp thingy is like 10 bucks from supercheap.

ericl33
12-06-2012, 03:56 PM
I like the OEm terminal m8.

Softcox
12-06-2012, 04:23 PM
Turns out I'm a bit of a tard! Tried again and something was caught inside the clamp itself, gave it a clean and re-seated it and now both sit firmly :)

Unfortunately my engine starting woes still persist, time for more poking around!

MiSloVic
12-06-2012, 10:38 PM
had the same problem when I change to century battery. called racv, they charged me 9.95 fitted. :)

bennjamin
12-06-2012, 11:07 PM
if you are stuck - and there is only a very small gap - try slowly screwing a short screw into the gap (between the terminal and connector). This should firmly connect the circuit.
Be careful not to touch the other terminal as you do this !