PDA

View Full Version : Where to get cheaper replacement key/remote

wil55n
13-06-2012, 03:24 PM
Honda Dealership wanted $300 for the key and remote not including re-coding.
Anyone now a cheaper place to get these done?

Jazz 2003 VTi

sensei_
13-06-2012, 05:10 PM
you could look on ebay for a cheaper key/remote.

have it cut outside of the dealer, and then go back to the dealer to program. or get a key place to duplicate the transponder.

chow_tofu
08-07-2012, 06:25 PM
pretty much what sensei said ^

Cheapest is getting a Honda OEM blank from ebay and get that cut and coded - quoted $110

2nd cheapest is doing the above and buying a 2nd hand Jazz remote off ebay and replacing the key insert(i assume you have the key+remote combo) ~$50 off ebay or probably cheaper from wreckers?

Programming can be found here if you want to save some money - http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?136033-Programming-the-remote-transmitter&p=279697

wil55n
09-07-2012, 09:04 PM
Thanks guys, one more question... is reprogramming the remote and reprogramming the transponder two different things?
By "coded" does that mean the transponder in the key has to get recoded or the programming in the remote has to get recoded? (The original key is a key and a separate remote. I dont know if the key has a transponder in it, but I assumed it did)

sensei_
10-07-2012, 02:46 PM
Thanks guys, one more question... is reprogramming the remote and reprogramming the transponder two different things?
By "coded" does that mean the transponder in the key has to get recoded or the programming in the remote has to get recoded? (The original key is a key and a separate remote. I dont know if the key has a transponder in it, but I assumed it did)

program remote to lock/unlock car door is easy.
program transponder to arm/disarm the immobilisers is the harder bit, as there are more steps involved