PDA

View Full Version : [CL9] Brakes acting weird

tonysalib
14-06-2012, 10:37 PM
Driving my auto CL9 today I noticed the brakes are acting quite strange. I find that I have to press the brake pedal all the way in for the car to actually stop and once stopped if I just rest my foot on the brake pedal the car rolls forward and I have to press all the way in for it to stop rolling.

It was never like that before and just started acting this way today or yesterday.

Any idea what the problem might be? I don't think its the brake pads being worn out because when I last serviced it about 2 months ago they told me the brakes still had about 50% left in them.

Thanks for any help to point me in the right direction.

roony
15-06-2012, 12:10 AM
there could be a leak resulting in air getting into the lines. Have you checked your brake fluid levels?

dc2r-0636
15-06-2012, 12:14 AM
As above.
Try getting your brakes bled as there might be air pockets in it.

tron07
15-06-2012, 11:48 AM
As mention earlier, when was the last time you bleed and change the brake fluid? Brake fluid are hygroscopic, so could be water inside, and when it heats up causing vapour in your system causing spongy feeling or like what you encounter.

tonysalib
15-06-2012, 11:53 AM
Thanks for your input guys. I never changed or bled the brake fluid before, the car's only done 72000kms so didn't think it was needed yet.

I just checked the fluid and it seems low (couple of cms below the max).

Anyway i booked it in with the warranty provider to have a look at ithopefully whatever it is will be covered by the warranty.

tonysalib
15-06-2012, 10:34 PM
Ok i took the car to the warranty provider and it turns the brakes master cylinder is failing and needs to be replaced and it is covered as i have the premium warranty package; turns out it is useful after all.

Thanks for all your support and help.