PDA

View Full Version : [CU2] 1000km engine oil change required?

caudex
17-06-2012, 08:31 PM
Just looked in my service manual, it says for 1000km it doesn't require a engine oil change anymore. As far as i know, most cars at 1k also get a oil change.

The oil change appears to be at 10,000km in the manual.
What you guys think? Should I get them to change the oil anyway?

Also, I was wondering, what kind of engine oil would be the best? (You think I can buy it somewhere, and get them to change it to that?)
From what I heard the stuff the dealership services aren't good but will do the job sort of stuff. I rather give my car the good stuff.

I don't mind to order it from online, or from amazon (saw the other one, but wasn't too sure if I should use a synth at 1k).

ChaosMaster
17-06-2012, 09:54 PM
1000km is usually just a check up from the dealer's point of view. To make sure nothing is falling off.

Some say that it's not nessary. Others says you should because the first 1000km is the wear in period so there will be more metal than usual mixed in the oil which ain't that great for it. They also tend to use this change to move onto full Synthetic oil. In the end though, it's up to you. People who aren't enthusiast, i.e. the majority, will not change oil at the 1000km check up and have the dealer change with Magnatec and still have their car running strong for years. There is a difference I guess, but unless you want to keep your car for 20 years or a million KM, the difference between the two won't be as noticeable (other than of course the car running smoother on thinner synthetic oil).

caudex
18-06-2012, 08:47 PM
I think the car currently 10W30 Engine Oil, but unsure. I was told not to switch to 5W30 at 1000km since it is too thin, is this true? Thinking of either going on Honda FEO Ultra or Mobil1 EP, which one is better?

curtis265
18-06-2012, 08:55 PM
it's not suppsed to be to slippery when it's new otherwise the piston rings won't wear in properly

same reason as why you don't baby an engine from brand new

BigBen
18-06-2012, 08:58 PM
It doesn't hurt to do an oil change at 1000km just to remove the metal that has been left behind clogging up the oil filter. It so easy to do and only take 1/2 hour to do an oil and filter change.

Standard factory fill is Mobil 1, 5w-30. Its only thin at start up which you want the oil to flow as quick as possible from a cold engine. At operating temperature a 5w-30 and 10w-30 is the same 30 weight oil. You can use a 0w-30 which will flow much better at start up than the 5w or 10w.

BTW - the TSX in the US uses a 0w-20 even in the hot Texas sun. honda is also pushing 0w-10 for newer cars such as the Honda Insight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAYkigNbzgs

caudex
18-06-2012, 09:22 PM
What sorta oil would you recommend to change to? I primarily want fuel efficiency but want a long lasting engine. Good idea to go full synth at 1k? i heard people usually use this time to switch their engines to full synth.

BigBen
18-06-2012, 09:59 PM
For fuel efficiency get a diesel or hybrid, but you can use a 0w-20 for maximum fuel efficiency and protection but you need to use full synthetic oil. 0w-20 is still hard to get easily in Australia so Honda in their laziness recommends a 5w-30 instead.

For best wear protection use a 0w-20 or 0w-30 as most wear occurs when the car start from dead cold.

Pump up the tyres to 44 PSI and remove all the possible dead weight in the car such as spare tyre and crap that is not required to be in the boot.

Also drive off peak hours. For example if I leave work at 5:30am from St Ives to Sydney CBD it takes 20mins and uses 7.5 litres per 100km. If I leave to work at 7:30am it takes 1 hour 20mins and uses 12 litres per 100km. This is a 20km trek from St Ives to CBD.

I don't worry about fuel saving as the car depreciates faster than $4000.00 of fuel I burn each year.

Funny thing is, my Yamaha V-Max 1.7litre bike (130kw) uses close to 10 litres / 100km but its a hell of a 100 km ride.hehehehe

Fredoops
19-06-2012, 10:43 AM
What sorta oil would you recommend to change to? I primarily want fuel efficiency but want a long lasting engine. Good idea to go full synth at 1k? i heard people usually use this time to switch their engines to full synth.

Any 20-30 weight oil would be good, imo 40 is a bit thick.

Having said that. I dont believe you are allowed to use 0w-20 or 5w-20 accoridng to the honda service book (AUDM)

NOTE: Manufacturer specified oil grades differ according to country and region. Eg: A Toyota Prius in Sweden does not recommand more the 40 weight. while the same car in Spain allows up to 50 weight

So for AUDM warranty reasons. Stick with 0w-30 or 5w-30 (probably 5w-30, the cold flow characteristic difference between 0w and 5w is minimal above 0'C)

Of course I'd recommand full synthetic.

ChaosMaster
19-06-2012, 01:05 PM
^+1. As Freddy said, different countries have different ratings. 0-20w is too think imo. They usually recommend that in countries where it can get really really cold. Australia isn't one of them.

Fredoops
19-06-2012, 02:03 PM
^+1. As Freddy said, different countries have different ratings. 0-20w is too think imo. They usually recommend that in countries where it can get really really cold. Australia isn't one of them.

I think you meant too "thin" :-P

curtis265
19-06-2012, 02:09 PM
think oil hahaha

http://www.americanthinker.com/the_thinker.jpg

ChaosMaster
19-06-2012, 03:29 PM
Lolz, didn't notice. Nice catch.

jay2
19-06-2012, 10:39 PM
I read somewhere that the oil change to full synthetic should only be done at 10K svc. Leave the original oil from Japan inside longer for a complete engine break-in.

I've got the dealer put in Honda FEO Ultra on my 10K svc. To my surprise, the fuel efficiency reduces by approx. 1 L/100Km. I was doing 8.6 before oil change but now it averages around 9.6 L/100Km. Is that normal?

And the new oil turns dark/'brownish black' rather quickly. By the first week, the golden sheen is gone.

Fredoops
19-06-2012, 10:51 PM
I read somewhere that the oil change to full synthetic should only be done at 10K svc. Leave the original oil from Japan inside longer for a complete engine break-in.

I've got the dealer put in Honda FEO Ultra on my 10K svc. To my surprise, the fuel efficiency reduces by approx. 1 L/100Km. I was doing 8.6 before oil change but now it averages around 9.6 L/100Km. Is that normal?

And the new oil turns dark/'brownish black' rather quickly. By the first week, the golden sheen is gone.

1. did you replace filter as well?

2. yeah it turns brown quick, thats normal, it's doing its job

08r3308
19-06-2012, 11:35 PM
If i was you i would head down to honda buy bottle of feo and oil filter and change the oil.

Dont know why this oil would be in engine after 1000k but if it was my car i would have done change myself if honda doesnt want your hard earned.

BigBen
20-06-2012, 08:28 AM

I have a feeling that the factory filled oil from Japan was a 0w-20 viscosity, when you did your first service Honda Aust uses a 5w-30 viscosity that could have contributed in the increase in fuel consumption if everything else is equal.

Here is the documentation from Honda concerning the change to 0w-20 oil from 5w-20.

http://www.honda.com/newsandviews/article.aspx?id=6212-en

Fredoops
20-06-2012, 08:45 AM
.... Probably wait till 10k before you change oil...

Factory fill has breakin addictives.

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42349

ChaosMaster
20-06-2012, 08:48 AM
I have a feeling that the factory filled oil from Japan was a 0w-20 viscosity, when you did your first service Honda Aust uses a 5w-30 viscosity that could have contributed in the increase in fuel consumption if everything else is equal.

Here is the documentation from Honda concerning the change to 0w-20 oil from 5w-20.

http://www.honda.com/newsandviews/article.aspx?id=6212-en

Going from 0w to 5w there isn't much difference, as Freddy said, unless below 8°c. That first number is for the cold start. The problem is the warm viscosity. 20w is too thin in general for our climate. General rule of thumb is that the colder it is, the thinner the oil, and the hotter it is, the thicker the oil. It doesn't snow here so a 0w won't really benefit us, but the summer can get really hot, and especially if you want to drive through NT/WA sometime, with the deserts and all (you never know), the oil is just not suited.

buddah51au
22-06-2012, 08:04 PM
Each to their own, but I always change oil & filter @ 1000km & use Mobil 1 or Nulon.

Fredoops
22-06-2012, 09:12 PM
Each to their own, but I always change oil & filter @ 1000km & use Mobil 1 or Nulon.

This is off Honda Service News from August 2006
http://i.imgur.com/Igmyt.png

jay2
22-06-2012, 10:29 PM
1. did you replace filter as well?

2. yeah it turns brown quick, thats normal, it's doing its job

Nope, did not replace filter as I was following strict log book servicing which did not require a filter change. However, on hindsight, I should have changed the filter as well. Bugger.
What's the recommended practice? Always change filter when you change oil?

Just a quick silly question. So after you start putting in full synthetic oil at 10K servicing, subsequent periodic servicing should also use full synthetic oil right? Are there people that alternates between semi and full synthetic oil during subsequent servicing intervals? :o

Fredoops
22-06-2012, 11:15 PM
Nope, did not replace filter as I was following strict log book servicing which did not require a filter change. However, on hindsight, I should have changed the filter as well. Bugger.
What's the recommended practice? Always change filter when you change oil?

Just a quick silly question. So after you start putting in full synthetic oil at 10K servicing, subsequent periodic servicing should also use full synthetic oil right? Are there people that alternates between semi and full synthetic oil during subsequent servicing intervals? :o

nope
once you do synthetic you wont go back lol

caudex
23-06-2012, 06:20 AM
Just wondering which one better?
Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5W-30
Shell Helix Ultra Extra 5W-30

dr1ft3r
23-06-2012, 08:36 AM

Really?????

every 1000km????????

Lukey
23-06-2012, 11:14 AM
toyota, nissan and hyundai dont change oil and/or filter at the 1000km service

Fredoops
23-06-2012, 01:52 PM
Just wondering which one better?
Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5W-30
Shell Helix Ultra Extra 5W-30

Mobile 1 EP hands down.

It's the best oil this side of Amsoil/redline/mutul etc.

buddah51au
23-06-2012, 03:02 PM
Really?????

every 1000km????????

Not every 1000km, I change oil & filter after the first 1000km & then every 12 months or 10,000km