PDA

View Full Version : Lowering my car

Baal
18-06-2012, 10:52 AM
I have a dc2-vtir and it looks too tall somehow :\
I'm planning on a 1.5" drop and I'm looking at lowering springs from Lovell's and maybe gas suspension from them as well. (or from KYB)

I'm not sure if I can just go with the lowering springs and stock shocks, or just buy the shocks and have a better setup...

Also, where can I purchase these things since I'm in the ACT? @_@ I contacted Lovells and they told me to contact distributors and they're all in Sydney and their sites' are awful and I don't know where to navigate.

Thanks for any help :)

simmy
18-06-2012, 11:03 AM
pm senna

curtis265
18-06-2012, 11:05 AM
Are you lowering for looks or for performance gain?

It seems like you're going more for looks, in which case springs, shocks or a shock/spring combo will be fine

dc2r-0636
18-06-2012, 11:29 AM
Go more then 1.5" drop.. Id go between 3-4"

connorling
18-06-2012, 12:00 PM
u can get a cheap 2nd hand tein coilover for $800 or less.
and it is cheaper to install, and u can have better handling.

springs might be cheap, but installation costs more, and generally lower spring with stock shock sucks.
you are only saving $200 to $300

i would just go straight to coilover.

Evok
18-06-2012, 01:14 PM
1.5 inch drop is fine for stock shocks . Horrible handling still though, always upgrade later and learn from your mistakes .

dc2r
18-06-2012, 03:13 PM
Do it right the first time. Either get shocks to match your springs, or just get coilovers. Running lower springs with stock shocks will kill your shocks sooner or later and you'd have to spend money to fix it up. So do it all in one go.

And a stock vtir, go with the lowest you can live with. 1.5" on stock vtir isn't that low. Maybe consider 3" if its practical for you.

Baal
19-06-2012, 12:05 AM
u can get a cheap 2nd hand tein coilover for $800 or less.
and it is cheaper to install, and u can have better handling.

springs might be cheap, but installation costs more, and generally lower spring with stock shock sucks.
you are only saving $200 to $300

i would just go straight to coilover.

Do it right the first time. Either get shocks to match your springs, or just get coilovers. Running lower springs with stock shocks will kill your shocks sooner or later and you'd have to spend money to fix it up. So do it all in one go.

And a stock vtir, go with the lowest you can live with. 1.5" on stock vtir isn't that low. Maybe consider 3" if its practical for you.

I will probably go for coilovers. Thank you for your info! ^_^ also, thanks for everybody's opinions :)

dougie_504
19-06-2012, 05:19 PM
If you want low, just go springs IMO. Performance obviously go coilovers.

What kind of driving will the car be doing?

Baal
19-06-2012, 05:20 PM
If you want low, just go springs IMO. Performance obviously go coilovers.

What kind of driving will the car be doing?

Just everyday driving, nothing special. That's why I was thinking of shocks/springs instead of coilovers
but apparently they're similar prices so it's a better "bang for buck" to go coilovers :p

curtis265
19-06-2012, 05:21 PM
Just everyday driving, nothing special. That's why I was thinking of shocks/springs instead of coilovers
but apparently they're similar prices so it's a better "bang for buck" to go coilovers :p

wait till senna gets here

cheap coilovers are never as good as a $1k spring/shock combo

never ever u here me

dougie_504
19-06-2012, 05:53 PM
wait till senna gets here

cheap coilovers are never as good as a $1k spring/shock combo

never ever u here me

Agreed, depends on the coilover. But admittedly you can get great coils for cheap. I paid $600 for each set of my Bilsteins, which IMO are perfect or near enough.

If I wanted a daily setup I'd be considering shocks by KYB or Koni and springs probably from Eibach or similar.

Jccck
20-06-2012, 09:17 AM
Correct me if i'm wrong; But isn't a 'Coilover' defined as Shock/Strut with the Coil Spring placed overtop?
Meaning that 'Coilovers' are infact standard?
People seem to refer to 'Adjustable Coilovers' as just 'Coilovers' all the time.. Which seems misleading to me.

Inb4 Senna!

kristrifo
20-06-2012, 09:33 AM
try go for a shock and spring combo from pedders? reasonally priced, cant go wrong imo

i paid $450 for my springs including install

next step for me is compressing the front springs about half an inch and adding pedders shocks

senna
20-06-2012, 09:58 AM
Lol...seems i'm getting quite a reputation around here....kinda embarrassing, haha

If it is a street car, my "best" set-up to recommend is Koni Yellows with a Ground Control kit. Height adjustment, good spring rates and the shocks can soak up most of the bumps our crappy australian roads can throw at you.

There are plenty of threads about this already - have a bit of a search in the technical sections and you will find that as much as i can bang on about the benefits of setting up suspension correctly, most people that are young or inexperienced with different types of cars will just get whatever is cheaper or most convenient option for them at the time.

Think of it this way - whats the point of making your daily car uncomfortable and awkward to drive 90% of the time just so you can enjoy a smooth strip of tarmac for 20mins on the odd weekend when you find time to go on a cruise?

I'm still trying to find time to get a front swaybar and fit it to my CXi EK daily, once thats on i'll be happy to take anyone for a ride so they can see how a different approach can give you an excellent result...

dougie_504
20-06-2012, 12:42 PM
Lol...seems i'm getting quite a reputation around here....kinda embarrassing, haha

If it is a street car, my "best" set-up to recommend is Koni Yellows with a Ground Control kit. Height adjustment, good spring rates and the shocks can soak up most of the bumps our crappy australian roads can throw at you.

There are plenty of threads about this already - have a bit of a search in the technical sections and you will find that as much as i can bang on about the benefits of setting up suspension correctly, most people that are young or inexperienced with different types of cars will just get whatever is cheaper or most convenient option for them at the time.

Think of it this way - whats the point of making your daily car uncomfortable and awkward to drive 90% of the time just so you can enjoy a smooth strip of tarmac for 20mins on the odd weekend when you find time to go on a cruise?

I'm still trying to find time to get a front swaybar and fit it to my CXi EK daily, once thats on i'll be happy to take anyone for a ride so they can see how a different approach can give you an excellent result...

If I had my time again I'd just get a larger RSB (maybe 18mm) or maybe the ITR 22mm + SFB instead of the coilover setup I have.

Less roll but also comfy on bumps. Sigh. It's a lifestyle...

senna
20-06-2012, 12:47 PM
Its all about balance and focusing on what the car is primarily used for - so many people set up a street car like a race car for no benefit at all!

dougie_504
20-06-2012, 01:06 PM
Yeah I guess it depends on how you drive too. I use my EH9 for daily driving but TBH I tend to corner quite hard a lot and I love the coilovers 90% of the time lol.

senna what size RSB would you recommend for DD/upgrade from OEM 14mm?

bennjamin
20-06-2012, 04:24 PM
Out of all the suspension I have installed or modded - probably 80% have been "adjustable" coilovers - and even the cheaper End of the market people have been greatly impressed regardless of the brand.
As long as they are dual perch adjustable and the spring rate remaIns constant !
I personally tell people to avoid shocks and spring combos - they are never low or stiff enough to please the average hard-Parker :0)

I personally upgrade swaybars and caster kits on my current and previous cars.

Btw dougie , search dude ! For your eh9? Get a ASR brace and dc2r rear swaybar

curtis265
20-06-2012, 04:45 PM
moderator fight!

dougie_504
20-06-2012, 06:10 PM
lol curtis

Ben I already have an ITR 22mm RSB, just no SFB to support it. I'll buy one later when I feel like throwing money at my DD (just got a mortgage).

I'm just wondering if senna, who works in the suspension industry, would recommend any other size as being ideal for a daily driven car (maybe something between 14mm and 22mm). Obviously a larger RSB will make the car handle better but it can also be dangerous in the wet because the rear can kick out a lot easier.

DreadAngel
20-06-2012, 06:29 PM
Out of all the suspension I have installed or modded - probably 80% have been "adjustable" coilovers - and even the cheaper End of the market people have been greatly impressed regardless of the brand.
As long as they are dual perch adjustable and the spring rate remaIns constant !
I personally tell people to avoid shocks and spring combos - they are never low or stiff enough to please the average hard-Parker :0)

I personally upgrade swaybars and caster kits on my current and previous cars.

Btw dougie , search dude ! For your eh9? Get a ASR brace and dc2r rear swaybar

That's usually because they haven't tried a proper shock & spring setup and have the misconception crushing Gs + crashy ride + bump happy steering = Performance... =P

Remember my old old EG? Koni Yellow + KG/mm, lower than most coilover kit can go HAHAHA

bennjamin
20-06-2012, 08:58 PM
lol curtis

Ben I already have an ITR 22mm RSB, just no SFB to support it. I'll buy one later when I feel like throwing money at my DD (just got a mortgage).

I'm just wondering if senna, who works in the suspension industry, would recommend any other size as being ideal for a daily driven car (maybe something between 14mm and 22mm). Obviously a larger RSB will make the car handle better but it can also be dangerous in the wet because the rear can kick out a lot easier.

What is the 22mm RSB mounted on ? Consider an ASR brace - it really is the best option out there for EG/DC and EK subframes.
Also consider a DC2R front swaybar (or alternative branded but same size , solid bar) for a front swaybar upgraded.
This will definitely aid in your handling and bring it back to more neutral and less oversteer. It will help make the car handle more like a DC2R (ie balanced)
Wait Im not directly in the suspension industry so take this and all opinions with a grain of salt :)

That's usually because they haven't tried a proper shock & spring setup and have the misconception crushing Gs + crashy ride + bump happy steering = Performance... =P

Remember my old old EG? Koni Yellow + KG/mm, lower than most coilover kit can go HAHAH

Dude its nothing to do with performance. Kids just want to go low and adjust it to their liking. Fact of life :)

senna
20-06-2012, 09:15 PM
Ben, I'm not sure if you are having a shot at me or not...

lol curtis

I only run a 15mm bar from an EM1 on my EK. 18mm would be ok with higher rates. I think 22mm is too big on a car with spring rates above 6kg. Track use with sticky tyres no probs though

DreadAngel
20-06-2012, 10:12 PM
Dude its nothing to do with performance. Kids just want to go low and adjust it to their liking. Fact of life :)

Kids these days lolz

Can't get OG OH jokes, only know lower = better lolz

rhysjAus
25-06-2012, 02:19 PM
what do you guys think of a Koni STR.T and Ground Control / Eibach Coilover set up?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1020-01-Ground-Control-Coilover-Springs-94-01-Acura-Integra-DC2-/230805954207?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35bd1b5e9f#ht_2221wt_1185

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Koni-STR-T-Shocks-Set-94-01-Integra-92-95-Civic-DC2-EG-/200722037740?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2ebbf73bec#ht_622wt_1185

curtis265
25-06-2012, 02:26 PM
what do you guys think of a Koni STR.T and Ground Control / Eibach Coilover set up?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1020-01-Ground-Control-Coilover-Springs-94-01-Acura-Integra-DC2-/230805954207?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35bd1b5e9f#ht_2221wt_1185

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Koni-STR-T-Shocks-Set-94-01-Integra-92-95-Civic-DC2-EG-/200722037740?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2ebbf73bec#ht_622wt_1185

Dunno aobut those shocks, i think the koni sport shocks are better

inb4Senna

senna
25-06-2012, 02:36 PM
STRTs are great value for money - non adjustable sport valved shocks that fit straight up.

The Koni Yellows (sports) would suit the ground control springs better. STRTs are suited to Eibach coils

rhysjAus
25-06-2012, 03:09 PM
reading through the desciption for the Coilover set I think the springs included are Eibachs. Feel free to correct me if im wrong :)

curtis265
25-06-2012, 03:13 PM
that is correct.

rhysjAus
25-06-2012, 03:15 PM
Alright sweet as. Payday cant come sooner