PDA

View Full Version : Oils , Oils

08r3308
18-06-2012, 03:15 PM
Hi all

Lets start an oils thread for refference on best fluids for our car?

What does everyone use in their cars?

Engine :
Transmission :
Brake fluid :

Fredoops
18-06-2012, 07:45 PM
Hi all

Lets start an oils thread for refference on best fluids for our car?

What does everyone use in their cars?

Engine :
Transmission :
Brake fluid :

a million threads about this already, i've started like 2 myself.

do a search and you'll see them

anyway, just to satisfy your courisity:

Engine : Mobile One 0w-40 European formula (will change to redline next oil change)
Transmission : OEM atfz1 (will change to redline D4 next service)
Brake fluid : Castrol Dot4

BigBen
18-06-2012, 09:05 PM
What environment are you using the car for? daily driver, trackdays, drags.

The best oil is the one that you change regularly.

I strictly use Amsoil 0w-20 and 0w-30 and use the redline liberally.

08r3308
18-06-2012, 09:26 PM
I seen theres few threads but i guess it would be good to see what everyone else is using.

Fredoops
18-06-2012, 09:33 PM
What environment are you using the car for? daily driver, trackdays, drags.

The best oil is the one that you change regularly.

I strictly use Amsoil 0w-20 and 0w-30 and use the redline liberally.

Daily Driver.

That said, I prefer Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5w-30 over the european formula 0w-40.

honda73
20-06-2012, 09:24 AM
Engine: Torco oil SR-1 5W-30 100% Synthetic oil and add Torco SEP SR-1 oil additive to increase the Phosphorus and Zinc in the oil.

Transmission: Genuine Honda

Brake fluid:Genuine Honda

redseven
20-06-2012, 07:21 PM
Engine oil: Honda Ultra Gold SM 5W-40
Transmission: Honda stock
Brake fluid: Honda stock

Nothing's blown up yet, engine sounds a bit smoother than the previous semisynth. I might want to try getting some Mobil 1 next time.

Would changing the brake fluid give harder pedal feel? Right now it's a bit spongy and lifeless.

DreadAngel
20-06-2012, 07:42 PM
Engine oil: Honda Ultra Gold SM 5W-40
Transmission: Honda stock
Brake fluid: Honda stock

Nothing's blown up yet, engine sounds a bit smoother than the previous semisynth. I might want to try getting some Mobil 1 next time.

Would changing the brake fluid give harder pedal feel? Right now it's a bit spongy and lifeless.

Assuming you have no leaks or air in the system, it would... How long has it been since you've changed brake fluid? Overtime air sometimes moisture enters the brake system which can cause loss of pedal feel.

As for the stuff I use...

Engine: HKS Racing Pro
Transmission: HKS Gear Oil G Series
Brake Fluid: HKS F-706 Brake Fluid
Fuel: HKS Drag Gas - 98RON not enough...

http://www.hks-power.co.jp/en/products/oil/pro_oil/img/racing_pro_img.gif
http://www.hks-power.co.jp/en/products/oil/gearoil_g/img/g-oil_img.jpg
http://www.hks-power.co.jp/en/products/oil/brake_fluid/img/f-706_img.gifhttp://www.hks-power.co.jp/en/products/oil/gas_and_drag/img/drag_gas_img.gif

Lol I kid

kryptonite
23-06-2012, 07:57 PM
I got transmission whine on the auto and I find Redline settles it but doesnt get rid of it - prob going to cost me $$ later for a new tranny (thanks Honda)

Engine : Just switched to Mobil EP1 today actually
Transmission : Redline ATF (today was my 2nd top up)
Brake fluid : havent got around to that yet

Fredoops
23-06-2012, 08:23 PM
I got transmission whine on the auto and I find Redline settles it but doesnt get rid of it - prob going to cost me $$ later for a new tranny (thanks Honda)

the whine is probably the bearing

and you should do at least a 2x flush in one go.

08r3308
23-06-2012, 09:03 PM
Past experience redline does fix up a lot of bad transsmisions wheather auto or manual.
In my old car R33 i once tried redline lightwheight shockproof and it made a difference much smoother than other oil that was in there.

aaronng
23-06-2012, 11:25 PM
Past experience redline does fix up a lot of bad transsmisions wheather auto or manual.
In my old car R33 i once tried redline lightwheight shockproof and it made a difference much smoother than other oil that was in there.
Redline Shockproof tends to mask issues as it is a thicker oil.

After a while, Honda gearboxes might have problems after using Redline shockproof. For AT, you should use only Honda ATF. Change it often as it is not a long lasting ATF.

For manual gearboxes, you need 75w80. There are a few brands out there in this viscosity other than Honda MTF, so you can use those.

The Redline Shockproof is not suitable, as they are designed to be thicker oils but with lower friction. So the Lightweight Shockproof MTF is a 75w140 and the Superlight Shockproof MTF is 75w90, both of which are still too thick for Honda's MT which is spec'd to run using 75w80. Elf manufactures a 75w80 MTF which is pretty good.

aaronng
23-06-2012, 11:28 PM

Hope you are using Redline D4 ATF, as that is closest in viscosity to Honda ATF.

08r3308
24-06-2012, 02:32 AM
Yes correct i guess i should have rephased it better.
Atf i allways use honda genuine. With all redline oils they will cover up bad gearboxes better than genuine oils manual or auto.
Also its a lot harder to get rid of redline out of gearboxes it tends to stick to internals.

Redline Shockproof tends to mask issues as it is a thicker oil.

After a while, Honda gearboxes might have problems after using Redline shockproof. For AT, you should use only Honda ATF. Change it often as it is not a long lasting ATF.

For manual gearboxes, you need 75w80. There are a few brands out there in this viscosity other than Honda MTF, so you can use those.

The Redline Shockproof is not suitable, as they are designed to be thicker oils but with lower friction. So the Lightweight Shockproof MTF is a 75w140 and the Superlight Shockproof MTF is 75w90, both of which are still too thick for Honda's MT which is spec'd to run using 75w80. Elf manufactures a 75w80 MTF which is pretty good.

kryptonite
24-06-2012, 07:18 PM
Hope you are using Redline D6 ATF, as that is closest in viscosity to Honda ATF.

Using D4.....

the whine is probably the bearing

and you should do at least a 2x flush in one go.

so should I be concerned?

Fredoops
24-06-2012, 11:35 PM
Using D4.....

so should I be concerned?

Aarong meant d4

2. Yes. Get it checked out. If you are in Adelaide PM a member here called Hontune, he does repairs like that all the time I heard.

aaronng
25-06-2012, 03:36 AM
Sorry yes, D4, not D6.

ricerockets
26-06-2012, 10:33 AM
Can vouch for hontune only guy i will let touch my car apart from myself haha.

Just did a major service with him. Got him to do my valve clearances and we used elf 10w 40 for the motor and royal purple for the gearbox.

Gearbox feels smoother than before. Valve clearances made the car a bit more responsive and a bit more fuel efficient haha.

Fredoops
26-06-2012, 01:33 PM
Can vouch for hontune only guy i will let touch my car apart from myself haha.

Just did a major service with him. Got him to do my valve clearances and we used elf 10w 40 for the motor and royal purple for the gearbox.

Gearbox feels smoother than before. Valve clearances made the car a bit more responsive and a bit more fuel efficient haha.

Funny thing that. I swear I picked up mid range torque after the vale clearance.

3RotaRX
26-06-2012, 05:44 PM
Engine : Mobil 1 5w-30
Transmission : HONDA ATF
Brake fluid : HONDA Brake fluid

This is whats going in, i have no idea what the previous owner had in there so yeah.. hopefully they put some sort of good oil in there...

dc2r-0636
26-06-2012, 07:18 PM
Engine :Anglomoil Roadmaster 500. 10w40
Transmission :Martini Racing 75w80
Brake fluid :Honda break fluid

More info on oil is here http://www.anglomoil.com/selected_product.php?application_id=002&product_id=15
By far the best oil I've used in my dc2r.. I'll rate the oils I've used from best to worst (IMO and expirience of course)
-Anglomoil road master 500, 10w40 (1000kms so far and hasn't moved off full)
-Honda FEO mineral oil, 10w30 (better then I thought)
-castrol edge sport, 5w30 (burnt a fair bit, not as bad a nulon)
-nulon Full synthetic, 10w40 (burnt like shit)

ChaosMaster
28-06-2012, 05:09 PM
Seeing that Redline can't be imported anymore, I went for Honda FEO. No idea how it compares but should be about equal to Mobil 1.

Fredoops
28-06-2012, 07:03 PM
FEO ultra? FEO ultra is more like the old castrol edge

ChaosMaster
28-06-2012, 07:19 PM
FEO Full Synthetic. I thought there was only 1. Lolz, in the shed and it's cold so I cbf checking.