PDA

View Full Version : eg3 civic diy stiffening mods?

AllMotorB16a
19-06-2012, 06:19 PM
i was thinking cause i want to take my car to track and making a car stiff and strong is key i was just wondering if i welded some 1'' or more thick mild steel pipe like on the under side of the car and in the rear between struts and in the engine bay from firewall the strut and so forth, will this be a good upgrade? and would it be worth it?

curtis265
19-06-2012, 06:40 PM
it would do the job i suppose...

connorling
19-06-2012, 06:41 PM
not if u have stock soft suspension.
strut brace will only works well with stiffen suspension.
there is a science behind it

also why go thru the trouble to make it urself when u can get one for cheap??

EKVTIR-T
19-06-2012, 06:42 PM
strut bars and chassis braces will be fine and you can remove them and sell off later,which you cant do with welded bars :)

AllMotorB16a
19-06-2012, 06:45 PM
i will make them removable all with bolts and so forth i was thinking mayb across the floor in the back mabye an x bar of sorts, and i know its easier to buy it but i really enjoy making stuff and it would be a great project for me and if i succeed i can mayb sell replica's for a quater the price of a bought one

curtis265
19-06-2012, 06:46 PM
you want to fabricate replicas?

connorling
19-06-2012, 06:46 PM
fair enough

i will make them removable all with bolts and so forth i was thinking mayb across the floor in the back mabye an x bar of sorts, and i know its easier to buy it but i really enjoy making stuff and it would be a great project for me and if i succeed i can mayb sell replica's for a quater the price of a bought one

what suspension have u got??

AllMotorB16a
19-06-2012, 06:49 PM
going to be running buddy club or similar suspention its a project atm still a bare shell :) hopefully 8kg spring rate

EKVTIR-T
19-06-2012, 06:52 PM
If you have the workshop facility and materials theres no harm in making up your own stuff

I think replica was the wrong word to use,people tend to take it the wrong way.

Making your own gives you the chance to improve on aspects of existing designs too :thumbsup:

connorling
19-06-2012, 06:53 PM
at the moment, my spring rate is 8front 6 rear, and it is acceptable for daily use.
Tein damper can be really stiff.

whats ur plan on your car?
picture please :)

DreadAngel
19-06-2012, 07:45 PM
If you're thinking of bolt on style, check out Safety 21/Cusco for inspiration =)

Also check out Miracle X Bar for interior bar inspiration ;)

Also you can try pouring urethane into the side frame too =) Link (http://www.junauto.co.jp/products/polyurethanefoamkit/index.en.html) [Linked you to the English lol, accidently linked you to Japanese before]. A pretty clean and unique solution.

I wonder if you're able to make a 3pt front strut bar for the EG, guess it'll depend on the firewall mounting and your clearance

impossi13le
19-06-2012, 08:44 PM
If you're thinking of bolt on style, check out Safety 21/Cusco for inspiration =)

Also check out Miracle X Bar for interior bar inspiration ;)

Also you can try pouring urethane into the side frame too =) Link (http://www.junauto.co.jp/products/polyurethanefoamkit/index.en.html) [Linked you to the English lol, accidently linked you to Japanese before]. A pretty clean and unique solution.

I wonder if you're able to make a 3pt front strut bar for the EG, guess it'll depend on the firewall mounting and your clearance

i love the english in that link haha, so hard to make out what they're talking about :L

AllMotorB16a
19-06-2012, 09:17 PM
thank you all for the replies :) i will more than likely made a build thread ive already built the motor im just wanting to do abit of bracing for track an dd cause yeah i wanna do nebo runs and lakeside and other stuff but yeah thank you all again! much love

dougie_504
20-06-2012, 01:03 PM
Personally I wouldn't really bother with front or rear strut braces. They don't do a lot.

You'll get the most stiffness from a larger rear sway bar, like an ITR 22mm piece. This will require you to install a subframe brace to prevent the subframe from ripping due to the increased strain of the larger RSB.

Coilovers, 8kg/6kg are generally nice for daily driving (if there is such a thing).

That should be enough for you TBH.

AllMotorB16a
20-06-2012, 01:32 PM
Personally I wouldn't really bother with front or rear strut braces. They don't do a lot.

You'll get the most stiffness from a larger rear sway bar, like an ITR 22mm piece. This will require you to install a subframe brace to prevent the subframe from ripping due to the increased strain of the larger RSB.

Coilovers, 8kg/6kg are generally nice for daily driving (if there is such a thing).

That should be enough for you TBH.

thanks man :) might make my own breaks bar :) instead of shitty ally i'll make it with mild shs :D

dougie_504
20-06-2012, 02:27 PM
You mean 'Beaks' bar?

If so, waste of time and money. Just make or buy a subframe brace, does the same thing + lots more. Blackworks Racing and ASR are good brands. Function7 is too expensive IMO to be justified.

sebtoombs
27-06-2012, 11:25 AM
As dougie pointed out, the eg chassis is actually surprisingly stiff from stock. I was surprised when I put my coilovers in, to find that all of the sloppiness had been in the stock suspension. Not that I've had the experience, but I suspect that unless you go all out on the bracing (in which case you may as well go for a cage), the difference will be negligible. As they say "just my 2 cents."

dougie_504
27-06-2012, 12:59 PM
Most benefit is from stiffening the rear too.

connorling
27-06-2012, 06:17 PM
As dougie pointed out, the eg chassis is actually surprisingly stiff from stock. I was surprised when I put my coilovers in, to find that all of the sloppiness had been in the stock suspension. Not that I've had the experience, but I suspect that unless you go all out on the bracing (in which case you may as well go for a cage), the difference will be negligible. As they say "just my 2 cents."

I agree 90% of what u said, the only thing is the eg hatch rear section is not stiff at all, I cOuld hear all these metal twisting without the rear strut brace.

Rayseuro04
28-06-2012, 09:05 AM
BWR racing make really good stuff and for the price you cant complain. Me and my mate installed a rear subframe brace and LCA's last night. Combined with my coilovers and strut braces the car feels great through the bends alot stiffer.